The CSA is letting us down again - Poor Prep

In an article posted in the Women's forum, tackling the imaginary issue of gender equity problems, I caught this disgusting tidbit of info:

the men's side won't play an international game in 2007 after a Sept. 12 exhibition match against Costa Rica in Toronto.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=3fa75c64-2999-4bd7-b0ce-e6d1af45c3b3

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

the men's side won't play an international game in 2007 after a Sept. 12 exhibition match against Costa Rica in Toronto.

I noticed that in the same thread. I'm glad that you posted it.

Hopefully, there is a misunderstanding here, and he meant to say that their isn't another game SCHEDULED for the rest of 2007 after Costa Rica. If the CSA does not get games for October and November, then Linford is a liar and the MNT will go into WCQ as poorly prepared as in the past.

I don't see why there would be a money issue. Canada can play October and November friendlies in Europe (probably preferable), so the other team would pay. There will be alot of European teams that will want to fill the open slots in Euro qualifying to help prepare.

Although not ideal preparation for CONCACAF, I think we should offer the now improved Northern Ireland a rematch so that they can try to avenge their 2005 defeat. Taking on Scotland at Hampden Park would be awesome, and I doubt it would cost the CSA a penny as they could cover all our costs. Really, anything would be better than nothing.

If needed, we could go for two games in September, and hold October and November friendlies at BMO as well. It's the national stadium, why not use it. If the CSA can make a deal with MLSE to offer tickets to TFC season ticket holders, and use their people as the local organizers, then friendlies in Canada should now be profitable. TFC have shown that they can pack BMO Field, and they already have parking, concessions, and even merchandise (finally, a chance to buy a Canada jersey at a Canada game) all set up, so revenue streams could be maximized in ways that the CSA was always too incompetent to pull off. Bring in Jamaica or T&T and it's a slam dunk - although I would still want to see Canadians given first shot at tickets to ensure a pro-Canada crowd.

Canada is a respectable 56th on the FIFA rankings right now, and that doesn't count the Haiti and Guadaloupe victories. Canada will likely crack the top 50 the next time the list is put out. In August, Canada has a winable friendly against Iceland, and many of the teams ahead of us will see their World Cup points diminish in value. Canada should be able to get some quality friendlies, and I don't want to hear any bulls**t about a lack of money.

Wouldn't a friendly ("rematch") vs. the USA make money?

Wouldn't a Canada Cup, featuring Canada, USA, Mexico, and a Caribbean Champion

make money? In Toronto? And provide excellent prep for WCQ?

What is wrong with CSA marketing? Is the CSA retreating on its promise to make the

MNT the flagship team of the CSA?

Am I so bitter that I'm starting to sound like Luis Rancagua ???????????

IF this means no more friendlies this year then this info needs to get to the media/mainstream fans now before it's too late. I can't survive another qualifying cycle like the last one, I'm sure that goes for everyone here.

quote:Originally posted by Derosario23

What happened to playing Iceland ??

That's our next game on Aug 22nd, then we play Costa Rica on Sept 12th.

Wow...i hope this is incorrect. What a setback if we have to wait atleast another 4 months after the CR game...

By the way I don't appreciate Sinclair's complaining about the Men's team getting more money this year. Any true supporter of the game will realize that if the men qualify for the world cup, the largest sporting even in the world, that will help the game's growth ten fold in Canada. Oh but the Women who have a full time residency program and train together every single day need more prep. Right.

Archived