Julian De Guzman Interview - Ask YOUR Questions!

strobe_z

I know Julian personally and he can get by in Spanish. I was out to visit him in La Coruna in march and while we were hanging out with some of his teammates he spoke a fair amount of Spanish with them. When we went around the city to restaurants, or he spoke to fans on the streets and after the match it was all in Spanish. He understands it quite well too. I imagine in interviews he prefers his mother tongue just so as not to be misquoted. I mean, hell, Beckham spent 4 or 5 years in Spain and never did interviews in Spanish. Cheers

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Jimmy

I know Julian personally and he can get by in Spanish. I was out to visit him in La Coruna in march and while we were hanging out with some of his teammates he spoke a fair amount of Spanish with them. When we went around the city to restaurants, or he spoke to fans on the streets and after the match it was all in Spanish. He understands it quite well too. I imagine in interviews he prefers his mother tongue just so as not to be misquoted. I mean, hell, Beckham spent 4 or 5 years in Spain and never did interviews in Spanish. Cheers

Good to hear that, and hope you enjoyed the seafood in Galicia, a killer isn't it?

As for the comparison with Beckham, he is nice, and a good teammate, but he is royally dumb. The absolutely worst Spanish of any foreign player in that long in Spain. He is a dolt.

Galician food was great. Especially Pulpo Gallego. Good food, great wine. Nice little town. It is very much a community sort of team. He loves Spanish futbol and the lifestyle there. The city isnt so big so often the fans run into the players around the city. He made the cover of the local edition of Sport magazine a couple of times. He was quite popular with the fans. Caparros didnt allow him a lot of freedom to express himself last season, but the fans loved his selfless runing and in several matches the fans voted him as the best performer(On Depor's official website). By the way I was at El Clasico at Camp Nou in march and that was unforgettable. I been to that stadium three years in a row. Am a huge Cule, but that's a whole different story for another forum(ha ha ha). And as for Becks, yes he is quite amusing. I saw his farewell address to the Madrid fans on marca and he managed to put together a few lines in Spanish. Quite amusing. Anyway, am excited about qualifiers for WC 2010. I hope Canada continues with their new style of play and the results also workout.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Jimmy...out of curiosity, what are you doing in Kansai? Sounds to me like it might be football related...sorry for being nosey.

I would love to say am working in football, but unfortunately am not. The closest I got to that was through a connection I landed a freelance writing position with AFC covering the recent Asian futsal championship here in Osaka last month. It was just a 4 day job. I am teaching English at a Public High School here in Osaka. I do play football and futsal on weekends with friends. How about you??

quote:Originally posted by Jimmy

I would love to say am working in football, but unfortunately am not. The closest I got to that was through a connection I landed a freelance writing position with AFC covering the recent Asian futsal championship here in Osaka last month. It was just a 4 day job. I am teaching English at a Public High School here in Osaka. I do play football and futsal on weekends with friends. How about you??

High school and junior high at a private school. A little writing and photos on the side but not nearly enough to pay the bills. And still dreaming of debuting for Canada before the age of 32 (to give old guys like Nash a run for their money). Drop a line if you get close to here.

Archived