Julian De Guzman Interview - Ask YOUR Questions!

strobe_z

Hey guys. A Mexican friend of mine working for the EL MEXICANO newspapaer in Tijuana, is doing an interview with Julian DeGuzman and has asked me if we have any questions for him.

So if you've got a concise question for Julian, now's your chance to ask. The deadline for assembling some sort of "top 5" questions is Saturday afternoon. So let's see if we can come to some sort of consensus.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian was always considered a defensive midfielder, in a destructive mode, but in the Gold Cup he showed he can create, assist in the attack and even score goals. Where does he prefer to play on the pitch? Has he developed parts of his game that would enable him to play in positions other than his habitual ones with Deportivo?

quote:Originally posted by leaf12

Definitely one question should be about his brother and which country he's leaning more towards. Can Julian influence his brother to play here?

I think he's probably sick of answering questions about Jon. It seems to come up every interview. The classy thing to do would be to keep all questions Julian-centric.

Should ask him how he liked playing with Hutch during the NT matches and how different the experience is in getting together for a period of time during an event like the Gold Cup as compared to the usual couple of days that comes with friendlies during the season.

Has he been to BMO Field? A TFC match? Has he played about on the plastic there yet?

Off the record of course, but (nudge-nudge) how serious was he about moving out of Depor there last January? Was it just a public expression over frustration about game minutes and is it sometimes necessary to go public like that as a "political move" to emphasize you dissatisfaction.

Is the Spanish season too long?

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian has a new coach as of today, Miguel Angel Lotina who just relegated with Real Sociedad. Will post on this on a Julian thread from this season.

Here's the questions that were asked:

You were voted of the "Best Player of the Gold Cup" in a FIFA.com poll, what does this mean to you?

What do you think Canada needs to work on to qualify to WC 2010?

What do you like tactically about the new Canadian approach?

Is there anything you would like you or your teammates to be doing differently?

You look better as a footballer after two years in La Liga, what have you learned in Spain that you couldn't learn in Germany?

Now we just wait for the response. I'll keep you posted. Thanks to all for participating.

Guest Jeffery S.

Now to get De Rosario into Spain, if only he had a decent rep. De Ro would grow so much here, even in a strong 2nd division team with chances to promote. And he'd make more money pretty well anywhere.

Here's the answers...

- You were voted of the "Best Player of the Gold Cup" in a FIFA.com

poll, what does this mean to you?

This is a great honor as a canadian for me. To represent my country

and club in this fashion is a great thing for any player I believe.

Thats why i dedicate this award to my fans.

- What do you think Canada needs to work on to qualify to WC 2010?

Most definitely. We wanted to prove to ourselves that we belong

amongst the best in CONCACAF in the Gold Cup tournament and thats

exactly what we did. We still have a lot work ahead of us with the new

coach coming into play and the talent is there. Now its just a matter

of maintaining the same winning attitude for future matches.

- What do you like tactically about the new Canadian approach?

I loved the fact every member was able to bring the best out of each

other. We showed lots of determination and confidence in our play of

game and after being with the mens national team for 7 years, thats

the first time i felt so comofortable playing and enjoying the game.

- Is there anything you would like you or your teammates to be doing

differently?

Improve.. Theres always room for improvment no matter what you do and

it would be great to see that same positive chemistry between the

young and experienced players.

- You look better as a footballer after two years in La Liga, what

have you learned in Spain that you couldn't learn in Germany?

Freedom on the ball. I was used to just running hard and making

tackles since i moved to europe. BUt after being involved in the best

league in the world for 2 years, you learn theres more to the game

than that. Also maturing as a professional is something im learning in

Spain. A key thing for any 26 year in todays football.

and here's the article/interview:

Por Manuel R. Medina

TIJUANA.- El canadiense Julián de Guzmán tiene mucho que celebrar, y no es porque su selección nacional haya ganado la Copa Oro 2007, sino porque el mediocampista defensivo consiguió el título de Jugador Más Valioso (JMV) del torneo, integrante del Once Ideal, además de que fue votado en el sitio oficial de la Federación Internacional de Futbol Asociado (FIFA), como el mejor futbolista de la competencia.

Descansando en su natal Toronto, en Canadá, de Guzmán aprovechó un rato libre para contestar en exclusiva para EL MEXICANO algunas preguntas sobre su participación en el torneo, sus metas y el futuro de Canadá en el balompié mundial.

De los jugadores que más demostraron durante la competencia, Julián fue galardonado al final de la final del domingo entre México y Estados Unidos, como el JMV, por lo que comentó que “este es un gran honor como canadiense para mi, representar a tu país y a tu club es algo grandioso para cualquier jugador; por eso dedico este premio a mis fanáticos”.

Cabe resaltar que no asistió a esta ceremonia, debido a compromisos familiares.

La selección canadiense sólo ha podido participar en una ocasión en la Copa del Mundo, durante México 1986; mientras que ganó en 2000 la Copa Oro.

Por lo tanto, el técnico nacional, Paul Stalteri, ha llegado con una nueva mentalidad a este equipo, para que por fin vuelvan a asistir a un campeonato mundial.

“Me gusto el hecho de que cada miembro del equipo podía sacar lo mejor de sí mismos. Mostramos mucha determinación y confianza en nuestro juego; después de jugar siete años por Canadá, esta es la primera vez que me siento bien al jugar y que disfruto estar aquí”, menciona el mediocampista.

Menciona que él y sus compañeros aún tienen mucho por mejorar, “siempre hay lugar para mejorar, sin importar lo que hagas y sería genial ver química positiva entre los jugadores jóvenes y los veteranos.

El equipo de la hoja de maple demostró que ha mejorado y que tiene ganas de salir del hoyo donde se encuentran estancados, por lo que Julián añade que “queríamos demostrar que somos uno de los mejores equipos de la CONCACAF en la Copa Oro y eso fue exactamente lo que hicimos. Todavía tenemos mucho trabajo delante de nosotros, con el nuevo entrenador y el novel talento. Ahora solo necesitamos mantener la misma actitud ganadora para los juegos futuros”.

Por ultimo, se le cuestionó sobre su vida en España, su participación en la liga y lo que ha aprendido en su tiempo en Europa.

“Aprendí a jugar libremente con la pelota. Estaba acostumbrado a sólo correr rápidamente y a ‘tacklear’ desde que llegue a Europa, pero después de estar en la mejor liga del mundo por dos años, aprendes que hay más en el juego que eso. Además que madurar como profesional es algo que estoy aprendiendo en España, algo clave para cualquier jugador joven en el futbol de hoy en día”, sentenció de Guzmán, despidiéndose con un “adiós” de este reportero, del poco español que penosamente dice haber aprendido.

¿Quién es Julián de Guzmán?

El mediocampista defensivo nació en Toronto, Canadá, y es uno de los mejores representantes de la “nueva sangre” canadiense que busca calificar para la Copa Mundial de 2010.

De padre filipino y madre jamaiquina, Julián fue descubierto por representantes del Olympique de Marsella, cuando jugaba para North Scarborough en su nativa Toronto.

Después de jugar en las reservas del equipo francés, de Guzmán pasó al 1. FC Saarbrücken de la Segunda División Alemana, para pasar a la siguiente temporada al Hannover 96.

Después de tres años en tierras teutonas, el mediocampista canadiense firmó con el Deportivo La Coruña, ganándose de paso un lugar en la selección nacional de Canadá.

El jugador es una de las promesas del equipo canadiense, por lo que ya cuenta con su propia página de Internet (enblanquiazul.org/deguzman), además de que es seguido de cerca por uno de los foros más importantes en sobre el futbol en Canadá, canadian-soccer.com, (conocido como The Voyageurs: Canadian Soccer Supporters, por su nombre en inglés).

Guest Jeffery S.

Only error is calling Stalteri our national coach.

Disappointing, if it is true, that Julian has not learnt Spanish very well yet. Though two years is a bit tight to do a phone interview, fair enough.

Nice mention to our site, great.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Aren't Spanish and Filipino reasonably similar?

I hear Spanish words when the Filipinos are talking in old Barcelona. I think that two years maybe too little to confidently do a telephone interview, that is all. Though I have not heard Julian speak to the press, so I don't know if his Spanish is passable. Since Depor has few foreigners and amongst them are Argentines and Portuguese, there shouldn't be a problem for him to learn.

Does he speak German?

Julian does speak German and quite well though I don't know how much practice he is getting in Spain. I have heard interviews with DeGuzman in German. Actually our national team probably has more German speakers than French speakers: DeGuzman, Stalteri, Nsaliwa, Jazic, Simpson, Hirschfeld, Imhof, Gyaki, McKenna, Ledgerwood and probably soon Bernier. DeRo also played in Germany for a couple of years though in interviews with him about this time I don't have the impression that he made much effort to learn the language.

Archived