Can the CSA demand non-CONCACAF officials for WCQ?

Guest Dave

In 1993 We played a critical WCQ game vs Mexico, and we had a German officiating crew, so there is a precedent. Can the CSA demand European officials, at least for our home WCQ games, on the basis of having no confidence in CONCACAF Officiating standards? Should we email Colin Linford and the CSA Officials and CSA Board with this idea? Even if we have to pay to fly them in, it is worth it in terms of the money to be made by qualifying to the WC.

A few WCQ cycles ago, CONMEBOL recognized referee corruption in the region and began to use UEFA refs in the final stages of WCQ. This continues to be done, when the games start to really matter, the UEFA refs come in.

CONCACAF should do the same. Its not such a huge deal to do.

But does that mean that CONCACAF would have to "recognize" referee corruption? Because if they are the ones calling the shots, I see no changes being made.

For example, Archundia will continue to referee our games because CONCACAF won't recognize any of the officiating errors. To disallow Archundia to referee a Canada game would be admitting to a problem.

Like Craig Forrest said today during the TFC broadcast--what a miserable game, by the way; no cohesion, too spread out--FIFA wants CONCACAF to develop its own officials, and argues that if they do not call games, how will they get better? But, as Forrest went on to say, it has been over two decades and still the officiating isn't any better (personally, it is a tad better, but that's like saying Ted Bundy was a tad better than Jeffrey Dahlmer because he killed fewer people).

What I don't understand is FIFA's approach to fixing the problem. If you want CONCACAF to have its own, top-notch officials, then you need to take the best of the bunch, move them to Europe, and get them calling games over in the top leagues. Also, for international tournaments and WCQ, you should make sure the ref has a babysitter--or training wheels, pick your metaphor) For instance, of the four officials, of the 3 directly involved (ref and two assistants) only ONE should be from our zone, while the other two should be bonafide top grade FIFA approved sirloin steak. Imagine if we had a UEFA assistant working both lines v. the US.

CONCACAF has a problem. FIFA needs to get better involved. CONCACAF needs to demand assistance.

Even Blatter said during the last World Cup..."We must have the best officials period. Even if that means they only come from a few countries.". Having a referee and an AR from a country who's still involved in the tournament combined with a AR from a nation that has NO high level of professional soccer (in this case SURINAME) certainly never met this test.

Maybe asking for non-CONCACAF refs backfired. Maybe there is still some sort of anti-Canadian sentiment in CONCACAF reffing circles.

Our friend Benito, according to his wiki entry, was born in 66, a "professional" (I found that part real funny) referee since 85, and became a FIFA ref in 93. His first int'l game was in 94 it says.

My point is that he was around (as in involved with CONCACAF reffing) in 93 so I'm sure many others that were around then are still around today. I know refs are not supposed to let emotions get to them, but I mean there has to be some bad feelings that Canada did not trust them.

I hear you, and understand your point. However, in my opinion the situation was intolerable before that as well.

If I may use a rather crude analogy, Canada trying to be nice and get on the good side of CONCACAF officials reminds me of an abused child trying to please Daddy in the hope of being beaten less frequently. These guys are the enemy, and playing nice is not an option.

As has been mentioned it's pretty tough to develop officiating teams in CONCACAF simply because where can you train them? Unlike UEFA where officials get bloodied learning their craft in leagues which are of a level which they can expect to see in international football CONCACAF doesn't have anything similiar. We don't have any leagues to act as world class football ref'ing simulators to train up the officials for these tournaments.

Arguably exempting Mexico, CONCACAF ref's are building up their experience and skills in MLS or the various CA and Windie leagues.

And it just gets tougher because with the game becoming so "global" for want of a better term, peoples expectations have risen and so every other federation outside of UEFA has to settle for officiating teams who're doing the best they can but are clearly in over their heads.

I don't know. I don't think we have a choice but to use CONCACAF officiating. At least until something even more dramatic occures, and if the CSA wants to pick up the tab for UEFA ref's (because that's what I'm guessing would be the hope) these tournaments ARE the training grounds we need to improve our officiating.

Don't know anything about what goes on behind the closed doors but I'm sure that linesman got taking to the wall for that call. If not for the bad call, then for making CONCACAF and Archundia look like idiots.

Poor chap looked terrified with Diesel in his face there. Just terrified. Felt he was kinda thinking "oh, oh. I may have blown this one." but there was no going back.

Shrug. Kick him in the nuts. Pick him up. Slap on the back and a beer and tell him to do better next time 'cause you won't be so forgiving.

Now Archundia, that's another story.

Whoever has red "Foul" read about the Joao Havelange Center of Excellence, for CONCACAF referees, which was built with aid money and makes money for Jack Warner, who rarely books any CONCACAF events there.

Of course, it's in one of the more isolated CONCACAF country... T&T.

Archived