Jump to content

Your Favorite Disallowed Canadian Goal


Recommended Posts

I was going to put this post up before the Gold Cup... but I didn't wanna jinx us......

I can think of a couple off the top of my head, but I know there's many more I don't remember so if anyone wants to throw in I'd appreciate it. It's bit of research for a writing project I been working on. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's gotta be the goal against Mexico back in the 1990's in qualifying called back on another bogus offside call. a decade or so later, it's clear nothing has changed in CONCACAF...the soccer equivalent of the World Wrestling Federation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well let's see . . .

We have 1984 Canada-Brazil (goal scorer?, Mitchell?)

1993 Mobilio v Mexico

2004 Occean v Honduras

2004 Hutchinson? v Honduras (the one in Honduras, I can't recall who scored)

2007 Friend v Venezuela

2007 Hutchinson v US

Feel free to add to the list. That Canada-Brazil goal tops it for me.

A classic disallowed goal.

cheers,

matthew

Link to post
Share on other sites

Occean vs. Honduras 2004 was my favourite. Because it was right after that questionable Watson penalty it seemed like such sweet justice at the time, and showed good Canadian composure in getting back in the game. Whoops!

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by matthew

Well let's see . . .

We have 1984 Canada-Brazil (goal scorer?, Mitchell?)

1993 Mobilio v Mexico

2004 Occean v Honduras

2004 Hutchinson? v Honduras (the one in Honduras, I can't recall who scored)

2007 Friend v Venezuela

2007 Hutchinson v US

Feel free to add to the list. That Canada-Brazil goal tops it for me.

A classic disallowed goal.

cheers,

matthew

Gray in 84, but they couldn't let us beat Brazil could they. Derosario's goal was disallowed in Honduras in 04. DeVos headed the ball down to Dero to chest in. The Honduran went straight up and down without DeVos even touching him and then flung himself forward after landing and the American ref called a foul. Another obvious carriage of misjustice that faded into the corrupt Concacaf woodwork. Instead of 6 points we get 2 off Honduras.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by kclee

Gray in 84, but they couldn't let us beat Brazil could they. Derosario's goal was disallowed in Honduras in 04. DeVos headed the ball down to Dero to chest in. The Honduran went straight up and down without DeVos even touching him and then flung himself forward after landing and the American ref called a foul. Another obvious miscarriage of justice that faded into the corrupt Concacaf woodwork. Instead of 6 points we get 2 off Honduras.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh god I completely forgot that other Honduras one. I remember DeRo chested it in then the goal was called back and no one even protested. I could never figure out why they called that goal back I thought maybe the ref saw a hand ball? We got so robbed in that qualifying run on top of not being a very good team due to no prep time. What a bad experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone should put together a video montage of all these (I'm sure there are many more to add to the list) plus all the incorrect penalty kicks awarded against Canada. We could put a link to the video on the Voyageurs front page.

Am I wrong to imagine someone hacking into the BMO Field scoreboard and playing such a video in front of 20,000 fans when Warner is introduced at the Chile WYC game?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just thinking the same thing when I was making coffee this morning. (putting a video montage together). ...well, I was thinking of someone else doing it, because I get along with technology as well as I get along with players from Central American countries who wear blue and white and whose anthems are about 10 minutes long. Anyway, I would also like to ad Pesch being elbowed in the face as Canada was about to take a corner in Panama (WC qualifying, no idea when) and then who gets sent off? Pesch! I also vividly remember the pitch. I must have been like playing on bubble wrap covered with sand paper.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I,ve recently said in another thread the 1984 goal against Brazil is a little bit ironic since the FK we got on that play was given after our player tripped on the ball, no foul whatsoever. So I can live with that one being cancel even if there was no offside. In the documentary The Journey about the 1986 team, Tony Waiters talked about that goal.

As for my favourite goal dissallowed, I would say the 2007 GC goal against the USA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Dave

Someone should put together a video montage of all these (I'm sure there are many more to add to the list) plus all the incorrect penalty kicks awarded against Canada.?

I could if others rounded up some source materials for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have all of these goals except the Gerry Gray one. But no means of making a digital copy of it, somebody else would have to help. It would also take me a while to find some of this stuff (my videotape pile is in a huge mess ever since I moved house & the Hooper goal I think is still in my parent's house).

If I was to make the effort though I would include the other really bad calls that screwed us - not just the Occean disallowed goal but the pk call prior to that, the T&T handball in the box that didn't produce a penalty or a yellow in 2000 (the aftermath of which led directly to T&T's 2nd goal), the PK call by Prendergast in favour of Costa Rica in the 2005 Gold Cup which cost us the game (you remember, the ball blasted off Bernier's chest), all the homer calls in favour of Japan in the 2001 Confederations Cup, and any more than I can think of while I'm doing the search.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I have all of these goals except the Gerry Gray one. But no means of making a digital copy of it, somebody else would have to help. It would also take me a while to find some of this stuff (my videotape pile is in a huge mess ever since I moved house & the Hooper goal I think is still in my parent's house).

If I was to make the effort though I would include the other really bad calls that screwed us - not just the Occean disallowed goal but the pk call prior to that, the T&T handball in the box that didn't produce a penalty or a yellow in 2000 (the aftermath of which led directly to T&T's 2nd goal), the PK call by Prendergast in favour of Costa Rica in the 2005 Gold Cup which cost us the game (you remember, the ball blasted off Bernier's chest), all the homer calls in favour of Japan in the 2001 Confederations Cup, and any more than I can think of while I'm doing the search.

G-L, since you are the person on this board for with the best memory of reffing errors against us, and it comes back so frequently, I think if you had the time or could get some help that would be really useful. Having a youtube means that sort of thing can be cited and widely reviewed now, which would be interesting for those who don't have those memories so clear.

But I understand it may be a lot of work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I have all of these goals except the Gerry Gray one. But no means of making a digital copy of it, somebody else would have to help. It would also take me a while to find some of this stuff (my videotape pile is in a huge mess ever since I moved house & the Hooper goal I think is still in my parent's house).

If I was to make the effort though I would include the other really bad calls that screwed us - not just the Occean disallowed goal but the pk call prior to that, the T&T handball in the box that didn't produce a penalty or a yellow in 2000 (the aftermath of which led directly to T&T's 2nd goal), the PK call by Prendergast in favour of Costa Rica in the 2005 Gold Cup which cost us the game (you remember, the ball blasted off Bernier's chest), all the homer calls in favour of Japan in the 2001 Confederations Cup, and any more than I can think of while I'm doing the search.

G-L, I'd be happy to collaborate. I have the means to digitize analogue video like old vhs, and I also have done a lot of video compilation and editting as a hobby recently. (Nothing related to soccer, I'm actually working on a very amateurish CGA-plus-live-action movie... which is crappy enough that it will never be seen by anyone but friends and family!) Anyway I think this would be a fun project if you and others have the source material and can provide me with names, dates, and situations. Let me know.

EDIT - The downside of course would be geography, me being in NB. You would likely have to send those precious vhs tapes in the mail. So if someone in the GTA takes this on it might be better. If no better option emerges, I would still very much enjoy doing this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...