Hart should have taken a Red

Guest speedmonk42

Guest speedmonk42

Stalteri took the protest red the last time.

This time it should have been the coach.

We can't be seen as people that will take this crap in the arse any more.

Guest speedmonk42

Stalteri took the protest red the last time.

This time it should have been the coach.

We can't be seen as people that will take this crap in the arse any more.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

And if he didn't want to vent on the ref, he should have at least let the players do so. Instead of pulling them away.

Hart was smart to get the players out of the ref's face. Any suspensions that would have been received last night would have been served during WCQ.

Guest speedmonk42

If Hart was preventing our players from getting suspended, well then perhaps he did a good job and I take back my assertion of him going all WWF on the officials.

We don't need the likes of Hutch or DeRo or anybody with a massive suspension.

I think this judgement is unfair.

He is a care-taker manager. The best way for him to fulfill that role is to ensure that Mitchell will have a full complement at his disposal, and not have his first choice RB (Stalteri) banned for life.

Now Braz, however, he should have been allowed to land a few on the Refs skull, no one would miss him.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by gkhs

I think this judgement is unfair.

He is a care-taker manager. The best way for him to fulfill that role is to ensure that Mitchell will have a full complement at his disposal, and not have his first choice RB (Stalteri) banned for life.

Now Braz, however, he should have been allowed to land a few on the Refs skull, no one would miss him.

Excellent summary.

I was livid watching the replay but was proud that this didn't degrade into a brawl or some of the horrible violence or unsporting behaviour that occasionally has marred this sport over the years. Take the higher road - Canadians usually do. I was thinking afterwards that they should have done something non-violent like walked around the stadium waving their jerseys overhead a la Roger Neilson (hockey style - in case you are wondering. Or perhaps linked arms in a wide circle around the referee until their complaints could be properly heard and they could receive a proper explanation (as if there was one). Just ideas, but I am glad we didn't start brawling. Ice hockey, ya. Soccer, no.

Yeah, as angry as I and everyone else was the last thing we need is for someone to take a shot at the ref or linseman and have us docked points in the WCQ. Someone from the CSA should protest vehemently though that this disgrace has to stop.

quote:I was thinking afterwards that they should have done something non-violent like walked around the stadium waving their jerseys overhead a la Roger Neilson (hockey style - in case you are wondering

I was thinking the same thing. They could have delayed the 2nd SF by having a sit in at the centre circle. Maybe do it Bad News Bears style.

This is a serious event and theofficials and CONCACAF musttreat it as such. Imagine if this was the Euro?

Canadian coach slates referee selection

By Dan Shalin | June 22, 2007

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Canada coach Stephen Hart slammed the selection of a Mexican referee to officiate Thursday's Gold Cup semi-final defeat to the United States after his team had a stoppage time equalizer disallowed.

Two goals down at halftime, Canada got one back in the 76th minute, and four minutes into injury time Atiba Hutchinson found the net only for Benito Archundia to rule it out for offside.

The Canadians claimed the ball had deflected off the head of American defender Oguchi Onyewu and television replays supported that view.

Hart said the choice of Archundia was inappropriate given Mexico were playing Guadeloupe in the other semi-final of the tournament for nations of North and Central America and the Caribbean.

"I think it's the only confederation in the world that will do that," he told reporters.

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2007/06/22/canadian_coach_slates_referee_selection/

I had a chance to talk to Stephen Hart last year in Montreal. This guy is super laid back (love it or hate it in a manager!). Honestly it was a class act because although the ref deserved a whack or two we took the high road. Maybe it's karma or something but forget the Gold Cup, let's get the calls going our way after we reach the World Cup... maybe my dream of seeing us sneak out of the group stages isn't so far off!

I had a chance to talk to Stephen Hart last year in Montreal. This guy is super laid back (love it or hate it in a manager!). Honestly it was a class act because although the ref deserved a whack or two we took the high road. Maybe it's karma or something but forget the Gold Cup, let's get the calls going our way after we reach the World Cup... maybe my dream of seeing us sneak out of the group stages isn't so far off!

quote:Originally posted by River City

If any of the players did get suspended, we could start a fundraising drive to bribe CONCACRAP.

[:P]What's the going rate for a phantom penalty or a disallowed goal in CONCACAF these days? Perhaps we should start the fundraising for WCQ now. Surely the combined monetary resources of the Voyageurs is more than the GDP of Costa Rica, Honduras, and the rest.

**NOTE to the politically-correct** This is a JOKE people, so if you call me insensitive or a racist or whatever I will simply ignore you, then go drink another beer while listening to country music at some gas station in Kentucky. [}:)]:D

quote:Originally posted by Dave

[:P]What's the going rate for a phantom penalty or a disallowed goal in CONCACAF these days? Perhaps we should start the fundraising for WCQ now. Surely the combined monetary resources of the Voyageurs is more than the GDP of Costa Rica, Honduras, and the rest.

**NOTE to the politically-correct** This is a JOKE people, so if you call me insensitive or a racist or whatever I will simply ignore you, then go drink another beer while listening to country music at some gas station in Kentucky. [}:)]:D

<banjo>YEE HA</banjo>

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Dave

I loved those Scotia Bank ads on the Costa Rican radio station I was listening to. Is that why they thought we deserved one and maybe two penalties in the first half and that Bocanegra's challenge was a red?

Seriously, you listen to the Costa Ricans who were probably even worse screwed by the ref in their quarter final, as he did not let them play from the start, he screwed them over from the first minute, and even then they held onto extra time with 8 on the pitch...and you think, maybe it is time to build some sort of fan alliance in Concacaf against the cliques and pacts that have the US especially and Mexico favoured in the region.

I think the CSA thinks that since Warner is English speaking, we are part of his section of the region, and Warner plays us against the Spanish speaking countries. Thus we get these nice things like getting to organize competitions, which is the way Warner buys our silence and complicity (see Linford's pathetic comments, or how Pipe moved from being the CSA/Warner lackey to working against us at the Gold Cup). What is sad is that Canada buys into the anglo-alliance in Concacaf, and in the end it hurts us on a sporting level, we get nothing from it in terms of decent reffing, respect for our teams.

On top of that, we have virtually no significant representation in Concacaf committees, except maybe Women. We are a small player that is made smaller and manipulated by a corrupt president, and we go along with it.

Before I get out to Edmonton I'm going to a toy store and buying about $50 worth of monopoly money and pray to Gawd that Warner makes some sort of appearance at Commonwealth so I can throw it at him and his hacks.

Useless I know, but maybe worth the laugh and I'll feel better anyway.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Before I get out to Edmonton I'm going to a toy store and buying about $50 worth of monopoly money and pray to Gawd that Warner makes some sort of appearance at Commonwealth so I can throw it at him and his hacks.

Useless I know, but maybe worth the laugh and I'll feel better anyway.

At BMO I screamed for him to return all the money he stole.

Wow, did I get dirty looks for that.

Archived