A lot of positives to move forward with

meteor

Some of us think it was rigged...others think it was just bad reffing..ALL of us know we was robbed.

however, I think there are a lot of positives to move forward with towards qualifying next year. this is a quality squad who played some class football the likes i haven't seen in a long time out of a Canadian team. first off, we have guys that can finish. I mean even when you look at the disallowed goal, when the chips were down Hutch went in and absolutely buried it. I honestly don't think all things being equal that scoring goals will be too much of an issue when qualifying begins and that is really encouraging.

no doubt we can improve at the back, but the experience of this tournament should help guys like Hainault maturity wise. also, with regards to young players, when you add Edgar into that mix that will be a HUGE boost to the back line, and throw in Peeters to give us some more speed on the outside and maybe Ricketts for some depth up front to go along with DERO, Ali G, Friend and Radzinski if he's still around.

Now we all know we're gonna be fighting the same CONCACAF BS in the future, but the thing is, we don't have to make it to the last 2..we just have to make it to the last 4. i honestly think we have the quality to do it and will be able overcome the Archundia clones that get thrown our way. So even though the tournament ended in the cruelest way possible, i think there's a lot to feel good about. Hopefully this will serve as motivation to the team as well to secure one of those spots and tell CONCACAF to shove their Gold Cup up their arses while we're boarding a plane to South Africa.[8D]

Very encouraging performance (save for Guadeloupe game) by the nats. The midfield really stepped up and we finally found some cohesion. Surprise, surprise that this happens when we're not booting the ball up the field every second touch. We played attractive, aggressive football and were more familiar with each other with each game. Not to mention some of the great depth we were missing in this tourney -- Radzinski, Hirschfeld, Klukowski, McKenna, Nsaliwa, Brennan, Friend, Peters, Edgar -- we should be very proud of our performance considering we tied a US team with most of its star players. Hasting and Hainault deserve props for their improved performance over the GC, and Onstad not only stepped up to play immediately when called upon, but performed above expectations. It's also refreshing to see we have two friendlies lined up over the next three months as well.

Barring any complete refereeing meltdowns and embarrassments in WCQ (too bad that this is likely), we should be able to finish top 4 in the hex.

I really hope Canada at least hosts a group in the next GC in 09, something needs to stop this ridiculous bias in regards to Mexico-USA.

There is no moving forward. I'm not sure if racism or corruption is the problem, but we always get screwed by Latin officials in meaningful games. Especially Archundia. What he did to save Honduras last year was outrageous.

Their modus operandi is to call the game as straight as possible until the result is in doubt, then they act decisively.

If playing in Europe is an option we should do it because there is no sport here. Otherwise we should not bother wasting the time of our dedicated athletes.

This is my opinion.

Agreed, I was quite impressed at the number of quality moves forward on the ground throughout the tournament. With the exception of the 2nd half today there was very little hoofing of the ball. Not panicking and keeping to your game will come in time as they players should now know they can score goals.

Hainault had his shaky moments but displayed a lot of poise for a 20 year old in his position, paired with a natural centre half he ought to be very solid.

Well Done Boys!

We all feel the sting but stings, by nature, fade. The signficance of thise Gold Cup will too fade when WC qualification begins.

Canada has been stunted by questionable officiating in the past, but historically we have been our own worst enemy playing down to inferior teams, failing to finish and falling apart at crucial times. I think some of these problems have been solved and I like our chances for South Africa.

I'm gutted that we were robbed once again but unlike the last WCQ robbery ( which really took the wind out of the program for ages) this one will be very useful as a rallying point to keep a lot of momentum going towards next year's start of qualifiers. The core group of guys, particularly Guz, Dero, and Hutch, will wear their scars from this tournament with pride and find a way to turn this into a postive experience, an unbeatable energy, for next year.

quote:Originally posted by clamlinguine

Their modus operandi is to call the game as straight as possible until the result is in doubt, then they act decisively.

This is exactly why I think it was rigged. The ref can't go around red carding everyone or obviously match fixing,but if he has a chance to influence the outcome of the match in its final minutes will do so by disallowing a legal goal. Occean getting called for high foot when trapping a bouncing 50/50 ball in qualifiers rings a bell. This same ref has done it to us twice in important CONCACAF competition. Wow what a coincidence.

One thing that is becoming more clear is that high level experience matters. We now have some quality players that are getting high level experience. Adding some players that were unable to participate, we have a solid nucleus.

I think in the past Canada has placed a lot more emphasis on young green talent. My sense is that we have reached a point where quality experience should receive a higher priority so that we can put our best foot forward in WCQ.

Qualifying for WC2010 needs to be the minimum. We can't allow ourselves to accept anything less.

quote:Originally posted by meteor

Now we all know we're gonna be fighting the same CONCACAF BS in the future, but the thing is, we don't have to make it to the last 2..we just have to make it to the last 4. ...

Actually top three to be sure to qualify. Fourth plays the fifth place qualifier in COMNEBOL. Right now the the fifth ranked team is Paraguay.

Which, based on their form in the Gold Cup, Canada should be able to manage.

Yeah, let's try to put the focus on the this thread for the next little while.

What impressed me most, and what is an amazing sign, is that we brought a B-side squad to this tournament and played attractive football, scored 10 goals, gelled and never gave up. We stretched a very good US side, their A team I am told, and would have forced extra time if it had not been for a poor call. Our young players, as it has been pointed out, are now coming to the fore and are showing their professional chops, and we have more in the wings. We have options coming off the bench, good options, and with a full squad, we should prove a thorn in any side we meet during WCQ.

Of the squad we brought, I'd say that only a handful would be starters if we had our full compliment of top players: DeGuzman, Hutch, DeRo, Stalteri and Hume.

Others that are borderline starters: Jazic (who had a good tournament), Onstad (believe it or not), and maybe Bernier (but as a holding midfielder).

With guys like Nsaliwa, Brennan, Kluka, and McKenna at the back, we could certainly upgrade our back line.

With Radzinski and Peters in midfield, we could do much to upgrade the right flank.

Not sure if Lars or Sutton are huge upgrades on Onstad, to be honest, but at least we've some decent depth at GK.

And what is most interesting, and vital, to all the additions we could make is that, aside from Mckenna, these guys all have wheels, some of them with blistering speed. That is what we missed vs. the US at times: total team speed, and a few more skilled players.

Time together will prove vital to WCQ. But I am more hopeful now than I've ever been.

Hutch and Hume and DeGuz can be the first names on the team sheet which means we have a nucleus of talent that is superior to the Americans.

Our curent generation coming of age is the best in a long time, maybe ever.

Stephen Hart has common sense and guts, he and Mitchell will be great co managers.

When the chips are down, Canadians get er done!

I think Hart redeemed himself with this run (pre-tourney and right up to the semifinals) as a whole. So I say don't forget the benefit to the coaching staff that comes from this sort of effort. They did great given the limitations on the roster at this time. And given the good coaching, the available players played above expectations (which were realistic, if a little pessimistic). The team morale was very good on the pitch. They came to play for the championship and almost pulled it off.

Some things that Mitchell could learn from this Gold Cup:

1) Don't be afraid to play a big man upfront with Hume. Worked a treat with Ali G for a spell. Try him with Rob Friend, then see what Lombardo has learned from his new mentor about playing the centre forward role.

2) Don't give Stalteri the armband permanently. We've got options at right back (nsaliwa, ledgerwood, kennedy) Don't need to lock him in. Bit of a hot head to be captain.

3) Don't be afriad to sub DeRo. He's in great shape but 70mins are his max now and we've got options (simpson, issey, dejong)

4) Hutch, Hume and DeGuz are the core. Build around that nucleus and you've got the guns to blast away anybody in the region no matter what the refs call or don't call.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

With Radzinski and Peters in midfield, we could do much to upgrade the right flank.

Well Radzinski can also play on the left. But I think Peters is going to be a key. One thing this Canadian team probably could have used a bit more of was speed, and Peters has that in abundance. The US wouldn't have enjoyed having Peters coming off the bench and tearing at the, regardless of which flank he plays.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well Radzinski can also play on the left. But I think Peters is going to be a key. One thing this Canadian team probably could have used a bit more of was speed, and Peters has that in abundance. The US wouldn't have enjoyed having Peters coming off the bench and tearing at the, regardless of which flank he plays.

And, taking Canso's post and putting it with yours, imagine Josh Simpson--fully healed--coming in at 65 for DeRosario. Talk about fast flanks. Both Josh and Jaime need to improve their overall game--knowledge, passing, technique--but they are young and playing in good learning environments, and you can't teach speed.

I know a lot of posters on here are high on Simpson but I really dont see him as cracking the squad. I mean he is solid on the left but with Radz and Peeters being able to play both wings and Dero and Hume I dont think he has the quality to push past these 4 players. Granted he has showed flare in running at defenders I dont know if he is ready to be a regular in this squad, but I do think he gives us good depth. I am not writing him off but I do think that he needs to develop and show consistancy over the next couple years.

It's all about depth. Radz won't be around forever and suspensions & injuries can pile up. If Simpson himself had not been injured we might not have seen Issey get the call.

And Will Johnson's already had a few caps to his name, I don't think he's far off.

We are catching up to the US & Mexico and we should consider ourselves to have every chance of qualifying automatically for 2010.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

It's all about depth. Radz won't be around forever and suspensions & injuries can pile up. If Simpson himself had not been injured we might not have seen Issey get the call.

And Will Johnson's already had a few caps to his name, I don't think he's far off.

We are catching up to the US & Mexico and we should consider ourselves to have every chance of qualifying automatically for 2010.

Yeah, I tend be big on realistic expectations, but with what we've shown these past two weeks, and with Costa Rica rebuilding, Guatamala in a shambles, and Honduras very beatable--and with a bunch of fine young players dveloping nicely in Europe--I think we've a much better shot at qualifying for 2010 than we did for 2006. I think our coaching staff have learned a tonne from Yallop's mistakes, and I think the CSA is more on side than they were during Yallop's tenure (though I'm not sure if that is true.)

I hate high expectations, but we should make the hex, and we should be a contender for one of the spots.

Archived