A nation is in complete outrage

Guys, I was watching the game at Betty's pub in Downtown Toronto and about 100 people inside the pub were extremely outrage at the corrupt officiating by Mexican referee Benito Archundia. They couldn't believe their eyes.

Please, in this thread, post the reaction of people around you, whether is in Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Halifax, where ever... Tell us as to what was the reaction of people sitting around you during this game.

At the Elephant and Castle in Edmonton we screamed with joy when the goal went in and I was in the process of hugging the stranger next to me when I saw Stalteri arguing with the ref. We ended up yelling F'ck You so much a staff member came upstairs and asked us to stop, out of respect for the other guests. Someone in the back then started applauding for Canada, we all joined in.

I'm still so angry I don't know what to do with myself.

I was watching the game with a couple of my friends. So we scored in injury time... Everyone is happy and screaming even the dog started barking... Then the ref called an offside... All the happyness turned into anger and disbelief... Then we started venting about how we always get screwed and how the refs are full of crap.

Yup, I have a feeling we weren't the only ones who went through all that.

I was actually at a Mexican Cafe..about 15 guys were watching the game; half were mexican or mexican canadians. we all went balistic when the goal went in and then most just kinda shook their heads in disbelief afterwards...i went on a tirade that may have set the record for most 4 letter words in a 5 minute period. the guy working the bar who looked like he mighta been the owner as well said it was bogus and felt bad because the ref was Mexican and actually apologised..LOL.

I went outside to mow my lawn after the game. An old Asian man was passing by and noticed my Soccer Canada shirt and asked me what I thought of the game. The old fella thought we were burned and that Canada was the better team. I was just amazed that I wasn't the only person on my block to have watched the game.

Saw it on GlobalTV BC. I was amazed & outraged at how a simple call got blown. Even the sports announcer was miffed as they showed the replay & commented on the onside of the disallowed goal. In the end, 2 good teams playing a good game only to have the Officials decide the outcome of the game.

I was watching the game at 72 and was sitting amongst, beleieve it or not, FIFA OFFICIALS....here to inspect the stadiums etc....they could not believe it either...the american offical took no pleasure in the win....terrrible, terrible, terrible

I've had two people phone me to see if I was alive.

And I invite you all to join the facebook group: CANADA WAS ROBBED IN THE GOLD CUP.

I've emailed FIFA. It will do no good, but it makes me feel just a little better.

cheers,

matthew

I was just watching the game caually in my living room.

When that second goal (noticed the word goal Archundia, and crew, you F@$#%^ nobs) went in, I dont think Ive cheered so loud since Occean's soon to be disallowed goal went in, in that WCQ game against Honduras in '04. And then suddenly I was reliving it all. I couldnt believe it. Pretty much very second word was ****. :(

quote:Wish we could leave CONCACAF.

Yeh, why doesn't Canada and the USA and Mexico insist on uniting the Americas as a single region. Europe is a large region with many countries, too. We could make it work just fine.

Of course, that might make it more difficult to qualify for the World Cup -- for Canada as well as the USA and Mexico -- but there would be 8 spots, not 4. And drop the Gold Cup and make Copa America really the Cup of all the Americas.

quote:Originally posted by JPB

Yeh, why doesn't Canada and the USA and Mexico insist on uniting the Americas as a single region. Europe is a large region with many countries, too. We could make it work just fine.

Of course, that might make it more difficult to qualify for the World Cup -- for Canada as well as the USA and Mexico -- but there would be 8 spots, not 4. And drop the Gold Cup and make Copa America really the Cup of all the Americas.

Could not agree more. Might not happen, but stranger things have happen.

quote:Originally posted by AlexCap

I stayed up until 4:30am to watch a tape of the game. I'm furious.

I tossed and turned for two hours after staying up till midnight watching the tape delay. Thanks to CONCACAF, I am now dangerously sleep-deprived and might end up accidentally killing someone at work today.

Well I threw my hands into the air, and was ready to do a dance. For me that is shocking as I never show too much emotion. Then it was called offside and I had to keep myself from crying.

Then I phoned a friend that has no TV and has dial-up, told him what happened. He was outraged as well.

Then I went out side and took my anger out on my soccer ball by smoking it around a couple of times. Then I came back in and sent out e-mails and updated our home page. That was how my night went. Not a pretty one.

I watched the game at my local pub! Many casual soccer fans sitting at the bar started paying attention just around when Hume scored, they really were getting into it and yelling and cheering as Canada started carrying the play in search of an equalizer, then this happens! These guys couldn't believe it and they are not exactly knowledgeble fans! They were asking me how this could be, I had no answers for them and when I explained what happened in the last round of WCQ from the same ref they were disgusted! We may have lost some casual fans because of imcompetent refreeing! I'm still very angry today!

My wife is only a casual fan, and she said last night that she can't understand how I can keep cheering for Canada when they keep getting screwed by the officials (she was referring to the Honduras match in World Cup qualifying in 2004 as the other time we got screwed.) I didn't have a good answer for her, other than to say each and every one of these lows makes the highs that much higher.

A few of my co-workers are casual soccer fans and they know I'm a big Canada fan (since I've taken time off work to travel to World Cup Qualifying matches), and they've all come up to me to talk about what happened this morning. The match was also the lead story in the sports report on the morning radio show I listen to. This is the most general mainstream awareness of an event in Canadian soccer that I've ever seen (even more than when we won the Gold Cup seven years ago).

Archived