Canada: 2007 Gold Cup Champions (R)

I'm proud of our boys. They gave it their all, they didn't flop all over the field, they didn't tackle dirty & they had the fewest number of cards - no sendings off, unlike just about every other team. We played attractive attacking soccer, and even without half our prospective line-up it took crooked officiating to defeat us.

I love this team and hope they put this travesty behind them. Lets all grab tickets for the Costa Rica game at BMO in September and let them know that we are behind them for 2010 WCQ's. Remember the optimism we had after 2000 and with Frank Yallop going into 06? Well I think these guys top those teams by a long shot.

To all our Canadian MNT players:

We the Voyageurs know the real score. The media knows the same. And so do the replays.

Regardless, we have been very impressed and entertained by the high level of play and

sportsmanship displayed by all of you. You have played an attractive style of play that

we have not seen in years. And with your effort we are sure you will guide us for a

place in the next World Cup.

Despite the controversy, there is no doubt that you have played to win. We are thankful

for your commitment to our country, and for wearing the Maple Leaf with pride. We are,

have been, and will continue to be behind you all the way.

The Voyageurs

With the exception of the Guadaloupe game, this was by far the most entertaining and technical soccer I have ever seen a Canadian team play. We had offensive flair, a trait that I thought had left Canadian soccer a long time ago.

Well done. Hope to see more of it in WCQ.

Well, the USA v Canada game was the best match of the tourney, thusfar. I don't think anyone expected that at the outset of this Gold Cup.

Mexico and the USA in the final will have the drama of the crowd and the former champs v former champs thing going on. So it might outshine this semifinal match, but I'm not counting on it, really.

We'll see.

Canada played very well in the first round, even in the Guadeloupe match, and found their stride in the quarterfinal, but they showed that as a squad they had it all together, for sure, by the time they met the USA.

What they might have done against Mexico we won't know, now. But I would have liked their chances, given the subpar play of the Mexican team at this tournie -- throughout.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Canada played two good games (CRC and Guat), two average games (Haiti and US) and one bad game (Guadeloupe).

We still need to work on our consistency.

I think we played three very good games, two of which we owned and looked great, the other--Haiti--where we battled hard but never lost focus or shape. Haiti was desperate, but we handled them well, though not with the flair and perceived ease with which we dispatched the Guats. The other two games were not poorly played, though they were certainly uneven and less poised in places. Guadaloupe, the surprise of the tournament, is a much better side than most--still--give them credit for, and we did not hit them as hard as we needed to in the first half, and did not finish on some decent chances. The US was spotty in places, but this was as much to do with the quality--physcial, as much as anything--of the US. The US have real pace, but they also played a tactical game, one very similar to what we tradionally see from Guatamala ie. lots of hard fouls, antics, and some deadly finishing at times. It is a tactic that Guatamala MUST use against superior teams, and we should take it as a compliment that the best team in the region adopted such a strategy against us last night.

We were a helluva lot more consistent as the tournament wore on, and proved a good, cohesive side for the most part, even against a tough US team. Inject a few more of our top players into this squad, and we could be tough to beat for WCQ.

Canada played hard against a very tough American side (16th in the world) and came very close to getting a result. However, despite being robber by a horrible call at the death, I feel the 2-1 scoreline was just about right.

Nevertheless I am very proud of how Canada played in this tournament and share everyone's optimism going forward.

Bring on WC qualifying!!

Hutch and Hume are best friends from childhood, how often do you think they dreamnt about a moment like that where they both score in a big match for Canada some day?

It's heart breaking to imagine how that must feel, to have that moment snatched away from you by a corrupt ref with an agenda. To have that realization sink in slowly that there is nothing you can do about it, that the good guys don't always in, that cheaters sometimes do prosper and sports is not a game with rules and fairplay but a business.

It felt worse when it happened to DeVos because that was his lost shot. It still feels awful though.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070622.wsptgold22/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Canadians vow to use Gold Cup heartbreak as motivation

What's disturbing to me is how Linford appears to be taking this

lying down. Fight, man! You're CSA Prez, do something ... file

an official protest or something.

Or do we have to have a CSA meeting set up at a convenient time?[}:)]

"It's done wonders for the team" ???? In any other country, Linford would get beaten up by the fans for saying that. Co Adriaanse was attacked in his vehicle after leaving training one day 'cause the Porto fans were angry over his use of a 3 man defence. Porto were first in the lead and had a better defensive record than under the beloved Mourinho.

Linford is probably speaking the truth when he says it's done wonders for the team. This sort of incident can really help a team pull together and strengthen their resolve to fight for each other.

That being said, it's Linford's job to scream bloody murder, since the players and coaches are prevented from doing so. Thus, unless we find out from someone like Ben Knight that Linford is, in fact, screaming bloody murder, then I'll be deeply disappointed in him.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Come on kids. We're not champions by a long shot.

We had a good run, some games together and are working on chemistry. Next year is when it counts.

Thank You! When the really important games start next year there will be a sence that someone owes us one.

I, as would any soccer fan in canada, would gladly trade an outcome like last nights for a successfull run in WCQ.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Thank You! When the really important games start next year there will be a sence that someone owes us one.

I agree with the sentiment, and in every other sporting milieu this would be true, but we've been "owed one" for years and years.

I fear we will never, ever be repaid for all of the past sins we've suffered.

This is, after all, CONCACAF - justice doesn't enter into it.

Archived