Whitecaps Keeper Tony Caig returning to England

Richard

If I read correct from the Duzes quote he must be quite ticked at Caig for walking out on the team so the "personal reason" better be a good one.

I hope Caig releases a statement on this as he seems like a good team guy and to leave the Caps high and dry at this stage is pretty low.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

It's all about the family...his mum in law is not well, and the wife is not happy. Unhappy wife, unhappy life.

Oh us married guys on this forum know about keeping the Mrs. happy ;) Too bad though I think one of the reasons he wanted to come to Vancouver was for his family namely his kids ... pretty tough to adjust to an area let alone a new country for only a year.

Back to Cumbria .... or where ever the road leads to.

Goddard is still with them and it is lucky he is because although he may not be a top goalie in the USL he is still a decent starting keeper for USL level and is probably better than some of the other starting keepers in the league. Still it is a big loss to the Caps hopes of repeating as champions to lose arguably the best keeper in the USL. I would think it must have something to do with his mother-in-laws illness or some other sickness in the family. If the wife were not happy in Vancouver one would think they would have decided that before the start of the season. Plus the USL season is not that long so it wouldn't be that hard to stay around for a couple of more months. The other possibility would be that he has received a better offer from an English club as this is close to the time when training camp would begin in England. If that were the case the Caps would have every right to be pissed off and should have demanded a transfer fee instead of simply releasing him.

Lenarduzzi told a media gathering this afternoon that Caig approached the club six weeks ago about returning to the UK so it was not a surprise. Richard Goddard will start for the Caps for their first two upcoming road games. The Whitecaps are negotiating with a 'young' keeper from Cardiff who will take over as #1 assuming a deal can be closed, Lenarduzzi was optimistic. Same keeper who was in Vancouver with Cardiff last year, don't recall his name.

The Whitecaps have sold over 15,000 tickets for the LA Galaxy game at BC Place and will likely open the upper tier as well now.

Goddard can't be any worse than Josh Wicks, so I donl;t think there are any worries.

Can't blame Caig's family for wanting to go home. When I first read the news I thought it had something to do with him, Bob Lilley and a dropped bar of soap in the shower.

Goddard was decent last night against Miami, especially since the Caps' defence was AWOL much of the game. He was the main reason they were able to steal a win. It's a long term process, but at least he rose to the occasion as a shot-stopper.

Mark Howard from Cardiff doesn't appear to be an option. Apparently, he trained with the team for 3 days and was sent home.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived