Sportsnet pacific is delaying game for Mariners

Paddy

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

My point is that in post after post it seems your whole philospohy of life is that of a bureaucrat. Follow the system/rules, don't rock the boat or take risks, contracts/documents/money are the highest good.

To relate this back to the game, I don't care how many contracts they have signed, I think it is an absolute disgrace to show a meaningless early season game being played by two American baseball teams live in Canada when Canada's national soccer team is playing in one of its most important games in years against a highly skilled opponent. Especially when the channel is the official channel of both the national team and the Gold Cup in Canada. At the very least if they are indeed contractually obliged to show the baseball game on their analog feed (which we do not know if this is the case) such contracts can be and often are modified and renogotiated when a more attractive game is available.

Are you kidding???

So you believe that all the sponsors involve in the MLB game will renegotiated their contract to allow a soccer game to be shown live instead of their game??? And that will be done in 3-4 days since we've only known about that game since saturday???

Sportsnet are already making the effort to present the game on their digital chanel, I guess that's the best they can legaly do at this point. They weren,t oblige to act like that but their doing it, so I guess they are seeing a certain opportunity in developing their MNT programming but couldn't do more.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Sportsnet are already making the effort to present the game on their digital chanel, I guess that's the best they can legaly do at this point. They weren,t oblige to act like that but their doing it, so I guess they are seeing a certain opportunity in developing their MNT programming but couldn't do more.

The provision is usually for a certain number of games. Just throw another one on some other day.

There is always a way.

There's just no will to do it from Sportsnet.

Contracts or not, I think it is horrific that the game is not being shown live. There should be some concessions made to allow the game to be shown. None of the other networks are doing it? How about the american stations? A simple twitch of the thumb and we could be there. Screw the SN, TSN and CBC. Am going to do some research and will find out where its playing

Hmmmmm.....there could be a problem lads. At first glance I can't find anything on the game being shown. If you have espn, then maybe, but the regular American networks are not showing it as i am sure most of you already know.

First of all, all of the "Contract" guys are assuming they know what type of contract Sportsnet has with MLB and that this contract does not give them the freedom to show what they want on their channel. Secondly, changing events on short notice is not something unusual to the sports world but occurs regularly. Thirdly, I doubt the viewing statistics for a Mariners game are all that high so I don't think it would be a big financial decision such as delaying a NBA final game or even a NFL game.

I have been surprised by how many people have been asking me about the Gold Cup and how many regular people are aware of Canada making the semis. I think if Sportsnet did even a little bit of promotion of the tournament and showed the games live they could get a pretty big viewership for the game especially since it is Canada against the US. Isn't this what they are supposed to do as presenters of the tournament? I agree with Daniel that the effort is not there from Sportsnet.

Gold Cup semi-final on Rogers Sportsnet

They also got a match tracker there....

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/index.asp

Canada's men's national team will play the United States tomorrow in the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup semi-final in Chicago, IL. The winner will advance to the Sunday final, which like the semi-final will be played at Soldier Field. The Canada-USA semi-final match will be broadcast at the following times: Rogers Sportsnet East & Ontario at 23.00 ET, Rogers Sportsnet West at 21.00 MT, and Rogers Sportsnet Pacific at 23.00 PT. For those viewers that have all four Rogers Sportsnet digital channels, they can watch the game live on Rogers Sportsnet East and Rogers Sportsnet Pacific at 18.00 CT (19.00 ET or 16.00 PT).

Canada advanced to the CONCACAF Gold Cup on Saturday 16 June after defeating Guatemala by a score of 3:0. Ali Gerba scored a pair of goals, giving him three in the tournament. The United States advanced by defeating Panama. In the other semi-final match, Mexico will face Guadeloupe.

Canada and the USA have faced each other twice before in Gold Cup competition. Canada lost 0:2 in 2005 and 0:1 (on penalty kicks) in 2002. The last friendly between the two senior teams was a 0:0 draw on 22 January 2006.

Surprise, surprise. Canadians have always had their domestic sports diet dictated by American tastes, other than in hockey or curling. I live in Europe now, but prior to coming here, I remember NASCAR getting a lot more attention. Why ? Because it was becoming more popular in the USA. Some of you guys are probably too young to remember, but as a fan of the national team for 27 years, there have been countless times where Canadian soccer gets put on the sideline for some American sport. We are the anomoly; the average Canadian sports fan cares about hockey, baseball and football, preferably the NFL version. Bloody sad, but believable in a country who let its national sport be hijacked by foreign interests.

Archived