Sportsnet pacific is delaying game for Mariners

Paddy

Wow..bad enough having the game delayed for Blues Jays game but we in the Pacific have to also wait for a Seattle game and then the Sportsnet Connected show before Sportsnet condescends to show the game at 2:00am eastern time.

What a joke!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Contractual obligation or not, this is ridiculous if we expect to grow the popularity of the Canadian men's team in Canada.

Contract was no doubt signed with MLB long before Canada qualified for the GC semis. Sorry, a business reality.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Contract was no doubt signed with MLB long before Canada qualified for the GC semis. Sorry, a business reality.

So, why not show the Mariners game & the Blue Jays game on the digital channels & show the far more important Canada game on the regular Sportsnet channel? Heck, Leaf fans have to seek out obscure digital channels to watch a whole bunch of games, Jays & Mariners fans can't be bothered to do it just once?

I highly doubt the "business reality" you are touting specifies things to the extent that they control what Sportsnet does with their own multiple-channels.

quote:Originally posted by Captain Spaulding

Hard to say. Sportsnet's tv listings show it on all channels but Pacific at 10:00 CDT, and at 1:00 CDT on the Pacific channel. But I don't have digital.

For the last two games, my digital box's online programming guide has indicated that the Blue Jays would be shown live on all digital, analogue, and HD feeds from coast to coast, however when you actually tune in at game time and check each digital feed in turn there was alway one feed showing Canada. Pehaps I've been reading John TV's posts too long, but I'm starting to wonder whether this is a deliberate attempt by some crazed soccer-hater working at the network to sabotage the ratings by making us think the game won't be shown live at all, thus causing us to not bother tuning in. It certainly can't help ratings when no one is sure whether the game will actually be shown.

Can you imagine what would happen if the Leafs were treated like this? Hell, there would be an almighty uproar if World Wrestling Federation fans had to endure this... yet Canadian soccer supporters will meekly accept any scraps that the media kingpins deign to throw our way.

For God's sake, how hard is it to update a programming schedule properly???

I love the way all of you get sooooo bothered about Sportsnet schedule. They are called CONTRACTS with clients that can not be broken. In this case with either MLB or the Toronto Blue Jays....these deals are in place for years, their schedule is set months in advance. Certainly, I agree, the Canada/USA game should be on, but their hands are tied. How did anyone know how far Canada would advance?? CONCACAF only released the GOLD CUP sked a few months ago. Until FIFA and CONCACAF can get schedules and tournaments on the board years in advance it's going to be very tough for the sport to grow in this market due to existing television contracts that are already in place with other sports. It's not about Jays and Mariniers fans...it's about advertisings and sales on the side as well...companies that have paid for commerical time etc....

quote:Originally posted by Mobiiiiiiiilio

I love the way all of you get sooooo bothered about Sportsnet schedule. They are called CONTRACTS with clients that can not be broken. In this case with either MLB or the Toronto Blue Jays....these deals are in place for years, their schedule is set months in advance. Certainly, I agree, the Canada/USA game should be on, but their hands are tied. How did anyone know how far Canada would advance?? CONCACAF only released the GOLD CUP sked a few months ago. Until FIFA and CONCACAF can get schedules and tournaments on the board years in advance it's going to be very tough for the sport to grow in this market due to existing television contracts that are already in place with other sports. It's not about Jays and Mariniers fans...it's about advertisings and sales on the side as well...companies that have paid for commerical time etc....

I agree completely, contracts cannot be broken. However, my point was not that Canada should pre-empt the Blue Jays (heaven forbid!) but rather that Sportsnet could at least provide accurate scheduling information so that those of us who have evolved beyond Cro-Magnon status ("Me swing big club and hit rock... Ugh!" - aka Baseball fans) will know with certainty when and where to tune in.

quote:Originally posted by Mobiiiiiiiilio

I love the way all of you get sooooo bothered about Sportsnet schedule. They are called CONTRACTS with clients that can not be broken. In this case with either MLB or the Toronto Blue Jays....these deals are in place for years, their schedule is set months in advance.

In the case of the Jays, the contracts are essentially with themselves, since Rogers owns both the team and the broadcast network. Yes, I am fully aware of business subsidiaries & all that, but in the end that's what it amounts to.

I am skeptical that the contract with the Mariners actually stipulates that Sportsnet has to show these games live on their analogue channel in particular. You have to wonder why Sportsnet would want to agree to having their hands tied like that, and why the Mariners would even care about Canadian exposure to that level. Usually US teams couldn't give a rat's ass about Canadian tv ratings. Are the Mariners really that much of a hot of a property in BC?

You're fogetting about advertising contracts tied to these MLB broadcasts, probably more important to the broadcaster than any MLB contract.

Also, the listings on the digital Shaw cable TV service in BC are contracted out to the TV Guide. Same probably applies in other regions. If they are wrong both Shaw and Sportsnet will just shrug their shoulders and refer you to the TV Guide website where you can post a complaint for what its worth.

I checked my TV guide on the digital box and it shows SNetP and SNetE showing Soccer at 7pm Eastern. I scrolled forward to Thursday on the digital box. Does not agree with the sportnet website. I tend to believe (or hope) it will be live that day. Hopefully, we know for sure by tomorrow.

quote:Probably a contractual obligation to MLB, it happens.

quote:Contract was no doubt signed with MLB long before Canada qualified for the GC semis. Sorry, a business reality.

quote:You're fogetting about advertising contracts tied to these MLB broadcasts, probably more important to the broadcaster than any MLB contract.

Sometimes I get the impression that if I showed up at your door with a contract allowing me to kidnap your daughter you would be ok with that as long as all the papers were in order.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Sometimes I get the impression that if I showed up at your door with a contract allowing me to kidnap your daughter you would be ok with that as long as all the papers were in order.

Your point being?

My point is that in post after post it seems your whole philospohy of life is that of a bureaucrat. Follow the system/rules, don't rock the boat or take risks, contracts/documents/money are the highest good.

To relate this back to the game, I don't care how many contracts they have signed, I think it is an absolute disgrace to show a meaningless early season game being played by two American baseball teams live in Canada when Canada's national soccer team is playing in one of its most important games in years against a highly skilled opponent. Especially when the channel is the official channel of both the national team and the Gold Cup in Canada. At the very least if they are indeed contractually obliged to show the baseball game on their analog feed (which we do not know if this is the case) such contracts can be and often are modified and renogotiated when a more attractive game is available.

My point is that in post after post it seems your whole philospohy of life is that of a bureaucrat. Follow the system/rules, don't rock the boat or take risks, contracts/documents/money are the highest good.

To relate this back to the game, I don't care how many contracts they have signed, I think it is an absolute disgrace to show a meaningless early season game being played by two American baseball teams live in Canada when Canada's national soccer team is playing in one of its most important games in years against a highly skilled opponent. Especially when the channel is the official channel of both the national team and the Gold Cup in Canada. At the very least if they are indeed contractually obliged to show the baseball game on their analog feed (which we do not know if this is the case) such contracts can be and often are modified and renogotiated when a more attractive game is available.

I'd like to see you take that arguement into court!

You need to get your head back into the real world.

Archived