Semifinal Matchup(R)

Grizzly

Canada vs. US

US defeats Panama 2-1 to advance to semi against Canada. Not completely impressive performance by US. Went up by two quick goals. Panamanian player was red carded in 76th minute but Panama still managed to score afterwards. Ref missed a handball by American in the box in the dying minutes that could have resulted in a tie.

Semi-final in Chicago this Thursday at 6 pm local time, 7 pm ET.

OMG!!! We played like crap and got a lucky win. This is gonna be a hell of a game on Thurs. I'll admit, We've been pretty lucky in this tournament. The way you guys are playing, you could knock us off in Chicago. Does TFC play that night? I wanna see a good crowd out there.

The Americans did play like crap, but found a way to win. The US have the pace of Donovan and Beasley, and the direct attack of Twellman and Dempsey,but there is something to the confidence level of the Canadian side. I think we are playing more complete football. Bring on the US!!!

quote:Originally posted by lefoot

The Americans did play like crap, but found a way to win. The US have the pace of Donovan and Beasley, and the direct attack of Twellman and Dempsey,but there is something to the confidence level of the Canadian side. I think we are playing more complete football. Bring on the US!!!

The direct approach works just fine if you can finish your chances. The US has had some terrible finishing in the tournament (We should have scored at least 5 against T&T).

The wife just asked me: "When was the last time we beat the US in soccer?" I can't answer the question (without resorting to downloading stats from the CSA). I'd rather one of you take the credit for the answer.

So, the questions are:

1. When was the last time our senior men beat the US?

and

2. When was the last time our senior men beat the US in a competitive (non-friendly) match?

The US doesn't count 93, they claim it was a B friendly. But we do. We beat them in 1987 in Olympic qualifying back when it wasn't U23, so it was basically a full intl. They beat us in their home leg and advanced, but we did beat them then in a competitive match.

It's been too damn long in any event.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by lefoot

This will be a tough match. Neither team really simulates. Both have tenacious attacks, should be a chess match all the way!

Well Donovan sure simulated to get the penalty. He made it look convincing but when you look at a closeup as soon as he felt the defenders hand on him he went down like a ton of bricks. The look on his face while he was appealing for the penalty and then after he scored it made me want to puke. Nice to get to the semis by cheating. He is the North American version of Christiano Ronaldo though not nearly as good a player.

On Paper, the US is the class of Concacaf these days but they have not been an entirely cohesive unit in this tournament in the games I have watched. I really don't believe they are playing their best 11 (what is Eddie Johnson doing on the bench...the way he has played in MLS has earned him more playing time than he has received in my opinion whereas Twellman has been fairly invisible).

I cant wait for game time on Thursday. I hope we can pull off the huge upset but I predict 1-0 for USA.

Guest Jeffery S.

I only had a decent stream first half, and the Americans were faking and diving all over the place. As there were some little squabbles with pushing, the first to go down a couple times were the Yanks. The most glaring faking came from Frankie, who went up to head a ball and the Panama player had his foot up, it was a clear dangerous play. But Frankie already had turned, his back was to the player, whose leg hit him on the number (2). And he rolls on the ground covering his face, draws the yellow.

The Americans did not play honestly, they were frustrated by the Panamian physical style, played long ball and direct, their finishing was crap as they did get close and were superior. But they still had to squeeze the juice out of any action. I posted in m. 20 on Big Soccer that the US were trying to get Panama down to 10 to beat them. I also called their actions disgraceful. Surprisingly, noone accused me of trolling. They know the truth about their side.

Don't trust them at all, they are petulant and not honest. And I don't trust the kind of reffing we will get in the semis, as like it or not if the US did not play this tournament at home they would not do nearly as well, nor would get so favourable reffing.

Because we will get a million questions on this in the future, when the game ended yesterday, Sportsnet mentioned that the CAN-USA game will be live at 7:00 pm EST on East and Pacific digital. They didn't mention when the game will be shown on analog, but I assume at 10:00pm EST, after the Jays game.

From the game report, the US lineup vs. Panama looks something like this:

# Pos. Name

1 GK Tim Howard (Everton)

13 LB Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA)

3 CB Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham)

22 CB Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liège)

2 RB Frankie Hejduk (Columbus)

4 DM Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado)

7 LM DaMarcus Beasley (Man City)

6 CM Michael Bradley (Heerenveen)

8 RM Clint Dempsey (Fulham)

20 CF Taylor Twellman (New England)

10 CF Landon Donovan (Los Angeles)

19 DM Ricardo Clark (Houston)

14 RM/RB Steve Ralston (New England)

11 CF Brian Ching (Houston)

5 M Benny Feilhaber (Hamburger SV)

9 CF Eddie Johnson (Kansas City)

12 D Jay DeMerit (Watford)

18 GK Kasey Keller (Bor. M'gladbach)

I have to say that this American side is not very impressive. I agree with the comments about all the diving. I had stated earlier that I thought this would lead to a good clean match between the sides, having not seen much of the Americans lately I expected this. They were diving like mad, even there big central defender Oguchi. I think they are weak in many areas, and that Oguchi guy will show his frustrations with big late tackles and fouls. Honestly I think the level of the American side does not warrant them such a high rating. They were definitely trying to coax the Panmanians to jump in and play cheaply. Disappointing that they have employed these tactics, so we should be aware!!! It all comes down to stopping Donovan on the counter, and keeping Twellman and Dempsey to the outside. I still think we have a superior midfield and if Gerba plays well then we have a strong striker to create problems. I am sure the Canadian boys are seriously excited for this match.

I can't believe, easy group or no that this USA side hadn't surrendered a few goals before yesterday. They look like they could be peeled open like a tin of sardines. And not just their defense.

Wicked speed up front though. And Johnson at least can finish.

(Thinking out loud; This is as much a problem for them as for us. Their speed that is. For us on the break out, for them because it seems to have become a crutch they're too comfortable with. I mean it's one thing to play to your strengths but they're getting a bit ridiculas. At least in the 4 halves of USA football I've seen this tourny).

Not a Howard fan but will admit he has come along the last couple. Still, he's no better than Onstad. Different for sure, but certainly not a superior 'keeper. Guess the Yanks are sort of going through the same growing pains post-Friedel that we are post-Forrest.

You know what? I really like our chances Thursday. No way the Yanks will see two crap ref's in a row (that one on Saturday was the worst from what's been an otherwise great tournie for CONCACAF ref'ing) so unless they step things up a bit we're going to match really, really well against this side.

Hell, even if they do step it up if our lads click for even a half the way they have already done several times this tournie the Yanks are going to be in for a very rough ride.

Got to book Thursday off work!

I was pretty ashamed of all the diving and flopping. I know the international game is really all about getting the result, but that was just sad. I hope Bob tears LD a new one for pulling that crap. We could have put that game away in the first 20 minutes and we wouldn't have resort to that kind of stuff.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

On Paper, the US is the class of Concacaf these days but they have not been an entirely cohesive unit in this tournament in the games I have watched. I really don't believe they are playing their best 11 (what is Eddie Johnson doing on the bench...the way he has played in MLS has earned him more playing time than he has received in my opinion whereas Twellman has been fairly invisible).

I cant wait for game time on Thursday. I hope we can pull off the huge upset but I predict 1-0 for USA.

Johnson hurt his knee against T&T.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Because we will get a million questions on this in the future, when the game ended yesterday, Sportsnet mentioned that the CAN-USA game will be live at 7:00 pm EST on East and Pacific digital. They didn't mention when the game will be shown on analog, but I assume at 10:00pm EST, after the Jays game.

The Sportsnet TV schedule doesn't have any mention of the Semi-Final on Thursday. It looks like the two digital channels are picking up GOLTV's coverage.

Archived