Canada vs Guatemala (in game) [R]

nolando

Let's argue about prep another day. Today was so sweet. Let's savour it. We have so few chances to be happy, why try to spoil it with bickering. When was the last time as a Canadian supporter you got to go into half time with a sh*t-eating grin and a total confidence in getting the result? I've been smiling since that third one went in and I think I'll smile any time I think about that second goal until I'm worm food.

cheers,

matthew

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That second goal looked the spitting image of a missed effort in a previous game of this tourney -- against Guadaloupe I think -- where Friend was just one step ahead of the final pass from De Guzman. Maybe it has become a set piece during the course of this team's time together at the Gold Cup?

3-0.

How sweet it is to say it.

3-0.

Onward to the semi-finals.

I was a little concerned that Hart did not immediately sub-out De Rosario when he looked injured or even at the start of the second half.

Likewise with Nash.

And also Stalteri after that yellow card. But if you can reveiw that incident, check it out. Ruiz sided into Stalteri and threw his elbow at Stalteri's head. The refer played advantage, I guess. But then Ruiz was nearly met (nearly) by De Guzman (I think) and athough they did not collide, Ruiz jumpt veriticaly as if he had been smacked. That was a simulation all the way. And worse -- Stalteri got the yellow card. I guess the refer, as good as he was all game, must have thought that Stalteri had retaliated. And, if that's the case, how come no yellow card for the elbow punch?

Anyone know if yellow cards are fairly reviewed, and sometimes overturned, at the Gold Cup? Maybe with the newly improved officiating we'd have a good chance to wipe out that card against Stalteri ... ?

I think Hart planned well for this game. The formation was altered and the midfielders were adjusted. Nash was less adventurous (heh) and Gerba was a bullmoose (again) and fitted in as a very good target man ... and not just in the air but mostly with balls to his feet.

But adjustments during the match were needed. Hart didn't take charge, from what I could see, and should have made those subs earlier.

Still, it is a win so he gets the credit, rightly, for the overall effort. A result!

We know more about USA's team than any other so preparation will be even more imortant in the semi final. That's Hart's forte, it seems, and I am anticipating a different line-up and formation.

That's for another thread.

C-A-N-A-D-A.

3-0.

Semi-finalists.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I only saw the 1st half decently, 2nd my streaming was poor. I think our outing vs. Costa Rica was better in fact, as these guys did not really press us, they were terribly weak. We were playing at 80% it seemed, very relaxed and never under real threat. Of course getting goals up that way helped.

I hope we can pick it up just a bit in semis, if anyone scouts us we may see someone pushing up high to mark Julian, other harder pressure in the midfield which is what is working for us. If we get any pressure from a striker on the centre defenders we may find we cannot develop our possession so peacefully from the back, may see longer balls, less precision. I think if someone scouts us right they can give us a bitch of a game. So we are going to have to raise our level, I am sure.

To your comments I would also add that we may see some more pressure down our left side. I like Stalteri's match up (with Bernier's support) against a flank player like Beasley on our right but I still wonder about Jazic on the left against perhaps Dempsey (?). He may need more support from DeRosario in a defensive role: though his defensive work rate has been superb, DeRo's having to help out more with business in our end hampers an important dimension to our attack. I agree, it could be a bitch of a game, but our most important players are "on song" right now, and I hope that momentum continues.

What do you think?

Guest speedmonk42

I think it will be a very interesting game.

We tend to play well against the states. I think our players relish it.

A very close tight game.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Where are all those folks who complained so bitterly and criticised the CSA and everybody associated with it with such vitriol about lack of preparation for this tournament?

I would be one of them and my thoughts have not changed reagardless of the results. This is not WCQ and it does not mean that the CSA can relax .

Good win by Canada. Dero should have been subbed off as soon as he started limping. No need to leave him out there with a 3-0 lead.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

The CSA is incompetent, our preparation was not sufficient, the coach probably does not have the level to take us to the World Cup, and we are getting good results.

That is not a contradiction, it happens all the time in club teams who have crap boards and lousy coaches, but the players are still quality. How many leagues and cups have I seen won by teams like that. It is totally obvious, in an any case, that the players are carrying the weight. And that so far our rivals have not really given us problems, we have outplayed our rivals or at least been comfortable for 80% of the Gold Cup.

Trying to get bragging rights to justify your backing of the superstructure is a bit pathetic Richard.

Now if you had called all the Onstad haters from 3 years ago down, and wondered about the total lack of critical commentary on Sutton, then you would have had some justification.

But tell us then, what has the CSA done right this time they haven't for most of the last 20 years with the exception of one Gold Cup and few women's tournaments? Illuminate us.

Well put. Doing the same as in the past, which is essentially nothing, doesn't mean that they have done something different or right this time. It is really a shame people can't figure this out - we didn't make it out of the first round the last two times with this sort of prepartation, but there is the mathematical probability that we eventually will (and did). I am enjoying the games but have continued concern over the future of this team.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Well put. Doing the same as in the past, which is essentially nothing, doesn't mean that they have done something different or right this time. It is really a shame people can't figure this out - we didn't make it out of the first round the last two times with this sort of prepartation, but there is the mathematical probability that we eventually will (and did). I am enjoying the games but have continued concern over the future of this team.

I am firmly in this camp too. How dim do you have to be to suggest the great Gold Cup results mean that our minimal preparation has been deemed sufficient? That sounds like something the CSA might come out and say in the media this week, "Told you we didn't need to spend any money or get a foreign coach." Let's all enjoy this ride but don't let it cloud your judgment too much. Clouded judgment and overinflated expectations are the kinds of things that gets Canada knocked out of WCQ before the HEX.

First off, brilliant performance by our lads today. As Vancouver Fan pointed out, it is amazing to see what can happen when we can get our guys together for an extended period of time. Remember Canada v. Columbia in the finals when we won the whole thing? We looked so damned confident and good, twice as good as we had when we upset Mexico earlier in the tournament. Losing to Guadaloupe was an important thing for this team: it showed Hart as well as our players what we had to do tactically to win, and today's win was the culmination of all Canada's hard work these past two weeks. We've got real quality on the pitch, and our guys are starting to figure out how to play together. A goal such as the second does not happen when guys don't know how to play together. Pure gold!

Yes, I've been smiling all day.

The US will be tough, but there is no way our guys won't be up for this game. Confidence is high, and our lads will relish taking on the Yanks.

The Guats, especially Ruiz, showed us today that not all poor white trash is poor and white. ;)

Thank god for the early game, this time I got to see the game AND then work, rather then work over watch! best mood I've been in a while and I have never been more glad to eat my words but Gerba really becoming an international level of player, I shat on him a bit last gold cup but I'm so glad to be wrong.

Couple more fast things:

Nash was very good in distribution, but remember that young Edgar is also very good with long ball distribution--and only will get better--so we have options coming out of the back.

Bernier was good, but remember we have both Peters and Radzinski coming.

Ref was good enough.

Love to see how these guys have bonded and gelled. Always proud to be a Canadian, and am extraordinarily proud of these Canadians, our team.

Last note: part of our success, I feel, comes from the fact that our midfield and strikers are finally coming of age. Also, a huge factor, is that our coaching staff have found a formation that works to our strengths. What is great to see is that our U17s and U20s also use a similar strategy, and we know Mitchell and Hart are on the same page.

I want a Canada v. Honduras final.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

I am firmly in this camp too. How dim do you have to be to suggest the great Gold Cup results mean that our minimal preparation has been deemed sufficient? That sounds like something the CSA might come out and say in the media this week, "Told you we didn't need to spend any money or get a foreign coach." Let's all enjoy this ride but don't let it cloud your judgment too much. Clouded judgment and overinflated expectations are the kinds of things that gets Canada knocked out of WCQ before the HEX.

Minimal prep??? Again, I'm tired of those who keep coming with the same arguments over and over again but fell to demonstrate how we could've done more regarding preperation since september??? It's not 2004........guys get your heads out of your a#$%?.

This group has been together at every FIFA dates since september (except February, but had a camp in January on NON-FIFA dates...). This is in fact what we need, and this time the CSA did what they had to do by having the players together at every opportunities (except one date but was compensatated with the January camp)). So if you can't just give us an idea of what we could've done more for this team (with suggestions that make sense....), please stop the "minimal prep" stuff.

I agree, the CSA shouldn't be sitting and waiting after a good GC. But at the moment we have assured our players will be together for the next 2 FIFA windows and one could expect more for the next dates by looking at our last year calendar and the Linford comments about this issue.

Wow, I'm smiling.

Cool, composed, confident.

As good a stretch as I remember since 2000. Even 2002 didn't feel like this.

I'm not worried about WCQ yet, I'm enjoying this tourney. Off work on Thursday, looks like I may be in for some soccer and chattin'.

Cheers all.

I am not worried about the Yanks at all. I think if our Selecao continue with this momentun any thing can happen . I Think Canada has to press the Americans yet still be wary of the of counter and the speed of Donavan and Beasley. Most importantg try to frustrate them . Get them off thier game. I saw the Czechs and Ghana do it in last years WC. My only concern is since the organizers despretly want a USA v Mexico final thier could be some biased reffereing. After all this Concacaf. My prediction USA 1 Canada 2 in extra time.

In case any of you want to keep on smiling, highlites on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMdf3LnXWKg

Not sure what you guys in the other Sportsnet regions get for end of evening news, but Don Taylor out here sucks ass when it comes to soccer. We beat Haiti the other night, and there was not a single highlight or mention of the win. We'll see what they show tonight, but it is absolutely bollocks. Even if he hates/fears soccer, the SHOULD cover the story because it is a CANADIAN sports story. Hell, there are even some BC boys on this team.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Not sure what you guys in the other Sportsnet regions get for end of evening news, but Don Taylor out here sucks ass when it comes to soccer. We beat Haiti the other night, and there was not a single highlight or mention of the win. We'll see what they show tonight, but it is absolutely bollocks. Even if he hates/fears soccer, the SHOULD cover the story because it is a CANADIAN sports story. Hell, there are even some BC boys on this team.

I realize that the Score isn't the most highly watched stations in the country, but they had the Canada-Guatemala highlights right near the top of the broadcast. Kudos to them for that. We as Canadians soccer fans should be supporting the stations that promote soccer the best. And in my mind Sportsnet (for at least showing the games) and the Score deserve much more credit than TSN, who are dreadful.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Minimal prep??? Again, I'm tired of those who keep coming with the same arguments over and over again but fell to demonstrate how we could've done more regarding preperation since september??? It's not 2004........guys get your heads out of your a#$%?.

I agree 100% with you on this Loyola. All the prep whiners need to step up and show us what could have been done better this year, or just shut the fuck up.

Now, if the CSA doesn't get us matches on the October and November FIFA dates this year and continue to get us games on the FIFA dates, I'll join them in their whining. But for the time being, everything is being done right in terms of prep.

quote:Originally posted by ken

Still a bit concerned about Hart's ability to adjust in game, great preparation, great result, but Stalteri should have been subbed for Braz to avoid the possibility of another card, DeRo and DeGuzeman should have been subbed for Ribiero and Issey to avoid the possiblity of a bad tackele or a bad card and to avoid the feeling among some players that they are not involved.

Watching the game I was thinking exactly the same thing. Couldn't agree more.

Briliant performance by Canada.

There seems to be some discrepancy as to the goals scored. I have seen Gerba with 2, and an own goal. The CSA has Derosario scoring, Gerba scoring twice.

Both these players are challenging for the scoring title, so this could be important.

Did Derosario score his 11th goal for Canada ?

One of the best games ever by Canada. This is definitely a different Canadian team than any other ones in the past. So many trickery and nifty passing and artisitic soccer alongside composure and control.

But, even if Canada wins the tourney, everything has to be taken with a dose of reality as this is only Gold cup. It's a tremendous opportunity to gel and form and learn and gain some confidence, but everyone knows that it takes so much more to win those qualifiers in central America or Caribbean. It's a step in the right direction, but that's about it for now. South Africa 2010 is still at least a full 16 tough games away.

I love the cunning and oh so smart way Canada played. It was so way above any game I ever have seen Canada play.Every pass was thought through.Every move was contemplated and every ball was delivered with precision. Just so pleasing and so powerfull.These other guys never had a change once. Onstad was never tested. Hey at least I had the score for correct and one of the goal scorers as well I believe.Thursday will be great as well, we have enough of a rest and our skill is much better than the Americans. I just hope our confidence will be just as high.I will be speaking to both Bobbe and Tony I hope and I certainly will tell them how impressed I was with their son's commitment to Canada,their team and desire to win. These guys are amazing and so extremely committed. It is so great to see.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

To your comments I would also add that we may see some more pressure down our left side. I like Stalteri's match up (with Bernier's support) against a flank player like Beasley on our right but I still wonder about Jazic on the left against perhaps Dempsey (?). He may need more support from DeRosario in a defensive role: though his defensive work rate has been superb, DeRo's having to help out more with business in our end hampers an important dimension to our attack. I agree, it could be a bitch of a game, but our most important players are "on song" right now, and I hope that momentum continues.

What do you think?

Well it is clear we are up againt two outside players who can reach the end line or cut in, and you are right that the outside backs will need help. But that goes both ways: if De Ro and whoever is on the other side are beating their man then perhaps we oblige Beasley and Landon to track back more to defend. And the more they defend, the further they are from the attack, especially the counter. This is always a great tactical quandry in games, wings vs. outside backs and the transitional play.

One option would be Issey in there to get some depth down a wing. Only thing I am not sure he defends that well. So maybe the more complete option would be Julian, he played up the right as a false winger last season at Depor and was very good, crosses well, cuts inside to attack successfully, and is so fit he can get back quickly to defend.

In any case, we have shown that when our outside backs can get forwards they can help a lot in attack, so we can't renounce that either.

There were a few things about the Americans vs. Panama. First, Twellman and usually the other forwards pressure the defensive backs. The US pressures fairly high up, and with more than a few guys. That means backs cannot pass as peacefully from the back, and that could mean more long balls to get it out, meaning more give-aways.

One way we solve that is by really opening up the backs when in possession, stretching the field, so we can't be marked so easily. In general we are using the full size of the pitch very well this tournament. Another solution is that Julian normally comes back into the hole, like beside Nash, so the defenders have 2 midfield options to pass out and keep possession, not just one. This is one of the best things I have seen tactically from this team.

As soon as you do that, though, you have lost a midfield player, unless your Nash (not likely) or Julian (quite successfully) can give and go and push ahead with the ball, regaining the balance in the middle.

I think once again we need to think about either Julian or Atiba helping at the back. Atiba would be good this time as he is a good defender, anticipates well, and is stronger in the air. He can pass out confidently. The US attacking transition is very fast and often they combine outside in or inside out, so you need to cut off the transition in front of your back line. Having Atiba doing his would be a sacrifice of his attacking contribution, but in any case Atiba has not been as key for our attack as others.

So why not line up like this:

Onstad and the back four as usual.

Atiba in front of the defence

Bernier and not sure who else in the middle (Nash? Poz? our weaker link).

DeRo down the left, Ali G up high, Julian as a false right wing, in what is really a 4-4-2.

A more defensive alignment, but one that still has the potential to go forwards effectively.

Archived