Canada vs Guatemala (in game) [R]

nolando

quote:Originally posted by Stephen LaRose

And the wife and I agreed to let the cable go during the summer ... I want that torrent and I want it NOW ...

You did what?! Gold Cup, U20s, Copa America, and in the fall

the Women's WC. Man, I couldn't do that. My wife asked me

what I wanted for Father's Day, and I said "to watch the soccer

game (and not be bothered)... for the season." I'm very lucky.;)

Great game for our boys, tactically and clinically. The European

experience has really shown in our play, despite the hurdles of the

CSA budget. Next, whether or not it's the USA or Panama, we'll

be ready ... anything is possible in this Gold Cup.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

I only saw the 1st half decently, 2nd my streaming was poor. I think our outing vs. Costa Rica was better in fact, as these guys did not really press us, they were terribly weak. We were playing at 80% it seemed, very relaxed and never under real threat. Of course getting goals up that way helped.

I hope we can pick it up just a bit in semis, if anyone scouts us we may see someone pushing up high to mark Julian, other harder pressure in the midfield which is what is working for us. If we get any pressure from a striker on the centre defenders we may find we cannot develop our possession so peacefully from the back, may see longer balls, less precision. I think if someone scouts us right they can give us a bitch of a game. So we are going to have to raise our level, I am sure.

quote:Originally posted by Stephen LaRose

And the wife and I agreed to let the cable go during the summer ... I want that torrent and I want it NOW ...

Torrent is up

Very good 1st half performance. I'd have made different subs in the second but all in all not much to complain about.

Honestly I think we have a better pedigree than the Americans at this time. They are well organized and athletic, and have Donovan and Beasley, but I think our midfield is of another calibre. And honestly Gerba is playing wicked..I would start him over Friend. We have a nice variety of weapons and composure now...This team plays with style! Hutchinson will do a 180 and stretch past someone..and De Guzman has that sort of short stepping shuffle that totally throws players off..and de ro is just smooth....we have a serious attack at this point...just need to get possession against the americans and not let donovan counter. i hope we skin the americans...

Hutch was unbelievable today. And somebody needs to give A-League wash up Martin Nash some credit too. I can only imagine JD2 in that midfield and we really could be on the brink of a golden age. Especially considering we have really good prospects starting to come through on the back line. The midfield today really showed we most of us have suspected for some time, namely that our strikers are as good as the service they receive. Must say, I like the way Ali strikes the ball.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

That Ruiz sure is a f ucking scumbag.

Their whole team and their supporters are as well.

I loved watching them lose, I hate Guats so much. For any who think thats too much you obviously weren't at the last Canada-Guatemala WCQ in Vancouver.

Canada looked absolutley friggin golden out there!! I cant wait for the semi final! Personally I hope Hart fields the exact same starting 11. These goals are dynamite! The thing I really cant get over is how far Ali G has come since the last GC!

It will probably be the Wanks, but like others im kind of hoping for Panama, just so we can say we already did better than the US.

The big winner in this whole tournament is CONCACAF. The refereeing is the besyt I have ever seen in our little back yard and I dont think there has ever been a Gold Cup that has been this competative! The only ones who look out of depth where Trinidad and Tobago.

This GC is pure poetic Justice so far. My dream would be to trash Honduras in the final.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Where are all those folks who complained so bitterly and criticised the CSA and everybody associated with it with such vitriol about lack of preparation for this tournament?

A few of them have moved on to champion this new 'gender equity' bull****.

I think the rest will just stay quiet.

Were you one of the complainers?

Probably at one time or another. But certainly not a repeat offender. Anyway, as I said above, full marks to Nash and, Hart as well. I think this team has exceeded most expectations, particularly with the attractive style of play -which was not a trademark of our 2000 championship side.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

A few of them have moved on to champion this new 'gender equity' bull****.

I think the rest will just stay quiet.

Great post M-A. I haven't laughed out loud at the internet in a while.

EDIT: Oh yeah, great game - a joy to watch the boys shred the Guats!

Haven't seen the game yet (TV and internet outage, damn you MTS) but I'm getting the torrent now and I'm looking forward to it. Scoring-wise, De Ro is hot lately and could make a run at the all-time Canadian mark of 19 goals, while Gerba continues to display a great international strike rate.

Guest Jeffery S.

Were you one of the complainers?

The CSA is incompetent, our preparation was not sufficient, the coach probably does not have the level to take us to the World Cup, and we are getting good results.

That is not a contradiction, it happens all the time in club teams who have crap boards and lousy coaches, but the players are still quality. How many leagues and cups have I seen won by teams like that. It is totally obvious, in an any case, that the players are carrying the weight. And that so far our rivals have not really given us problems, we have outplayed our rivals or at least been comfortable for 80% of the Gold Cup.

Trying to get bragging rights to justify your backing of the superstructure is a bit pathetic Richard.

Now if you had called all the Onstad haters from 3 years ago down, and wondered about the total lack of critical commentary on Sutton, then you would have had some justification.

But tell us then, what has the CSA done right this time they haven't for most of the last 20 years with the exception of one Gold Cup and few women's tournaments? Illuminate us.

Does anybody know officially who got credit for the 3rd goal? The CSA match tracker lists it as TBD, while reports variously credit it to DeGuzman and Gerba. Meanwhile, the CSA tracker and match reports also list Gerba as the scorer of the first goal, which seems to have been a De Ro strike.

(In case you couldn't figure it out, I haven't seen the match yet).

Well,it has been 2 weeks since the Venezuela game and the boys have been together now for about 3 weeks. It is amazing what time together does for a team. This victory has bought us another week together.2 more games guaranteed.Maybe,next year at this time we'll look back and say how our Gold Cup run was the preparation that we always needed.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Does anybody know officially who got credit for the 3rd goal? The CSA match tracker lists it as TBD, while reports variously credit it to DeGuzman and Gerba. Meanwhile, the CSA tracker and match reports also list Gerba as the scorer of the first goal, which seems to have been a De Ro strike.

(In case you couldn't figure it out, I haven't seen the match yet).

The first goal was definitely De Ro. And the 3rd was definitely not De Guzman and probably an own goal.

There is no 3rd place match, so only one more game is guaranteed.

As per who scored the goals, the official site has the following listed:

CANADA 3- GUATEMALA 0

CAN: 14 – Dwayne De Rosario (10 - Ali Gerba), 17’

CAN: 10 - Ali Gerba (6 – Julian DeGuzman), 33’

CAN: 10 – Ali Gerba (6 – Julian DeGuzman), 44’

http://www.terra.com/deportes/articulo/html/fox407303.htm

But the 3rd goal looked like an own goal.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Well,it has been 2 weeks since the Venezuela game and the boys have been together now for about 3 weeks. It is amazing what time together does for a team. This victory has bought us another week together.2 more games guaranteed.Maybe,next year at this time we'll look back and say how our Gold Cup run was the preparation that we always needed.

I'm hoping it's worth 2 more games together, but there is not 3rd place game this time around.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Their whole team and their supporters are as well.

I loved watching them lose, I hate Guats so much. For any who think thats too much you obviously weren't at the last Canada-Guatemala WCQ in Vancouver.

I remember as well. This victory is sweet payback, and the result

could have been worse for the Guats. Fried Fish, anyone?;)

Archived