Gold Cup Broadcast production - Crappiest Ever?

RealGooner

Ive watched the Gold Cup on Gol TV and these broadcasts are among the most amateurish, most embarrasing quality ever. The sound quality is terrible and the colour commentators are abysmal. Is it just the GolTV feed that is this bad? I really hope so, cuz if this is the best Concacaf can do I am really embarrassd for them.

It's CONCACAF.....Sportsnet had to use the same ****ty feed that GOLTV is when Gerry and Craig were doing the Toronto FC game.....Good old Jack Warner...milking countries for Broadcast rights fees then getting the cheapest host broadcast I've ever seen...then he pockets the profits as he did for the World Cup. CONCACAF has hired GOLTV USA people though to do the play-by-play and analysis...which has not been great either...

GoltV production has been poor. GolTV USA does not have any rights in the states and for some reason GolTV Canada paid GolTV USA to do games instead of using Lee Godfrey and Paul James to do a studio job. It's just us though, the Univision (Galavion, Univision, etc) spanish language feeds are fine.

quote:Originally posted by Splaty

GoltV production has been poor. GolTV USA does not have any rights in the states and for some reason GolTV Canada paid GolTV USA to do games instead of using Lee Godfrey and Paul James to do a studio job. It's just us though, the Univision (Galavion, Univision, etc) spanish language feeds are fine.

Not quite sure where you're getting your info from Spatty or if you're just assuming. GolTV Canada DID NOT pay GolTV USA to do the games....that's not how it works. GolTV Canada paid CONCACAF and CONCACAF has hired GolTV USA people on their host broadcast.....GolTV Canada is producing their own pre-game, half-time and post game and everything else has come from CONCACAF. Rogers Sportsnet had to deal with the same situation for Canada's first match in the Gold Cup....after that, when there were no conflicts with Toronto FC they sent down Gerry and Craig to do their own play-by-play. Unfortunately people watching at home just assume that it's the station, but GolTV has no choice or say.....in fact didn't Godfrey make a joke at the half-time of the Mexico/Honduras match last week...he started speaking in Spanish at half-time because the first 20 minutes of the game had the Spanish play-by-play.....that tells you Goltv can only control what they produce..which has not been bad....

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I dunno, I've thought both the sound and picture quality far superior on Sportsnet compared to Gol TV.

It definitely has been. With the exception of the opener (while TFC was on) Sportnet has gotten the stadium sound and done a studio broadcast with Forrest and Dobson in Toronto.

GolTV on the other has had Phil Schoen (GolTV regular) and 3 or 4 others guys doing different matches. They are very painful to listen to. GolTV have had plenty of audio issues and the video freezes for a second at least 3 or 4 times a match. The best GolTV broadcast was the first half of Mexico vs Honduras.. It was Spanish for 20 minutes and stadium noise for the rest. Sadly they got the English audio working for the end half.

quote:Originally posted by Mobiiiiiiiilio

they sent down Gerry and Craig to do their own play-by-play. Unfortunately people watching at home just assume that it's the station

They are not onsite, their pre/half/post is in a studio.

Also, why does GolTV have no commentary of the Canada matches on delay if Concacaf is providing it.?

They are not onsite, their pre/half/post is in a studio.

They are onsite splatty and they will be on site at Gillette...unless they chroma-keyed the Orange Bowl behind Gerry and Craig....plus I know they hit a round of golf at Doral. As for Goltv and the Canada match....again....if you're not in the "booking satellite feeds" business there is a lot that can go wrong and CONCACAF, not for the first time this tournament, has been having a nightmare...really a joke and you have to wonder for the next Gold Cup if Canadian broadcasters will be quick to pick up the rights to the entire tournament if that's what they are getting.

I don't know a lot about media, but I'll take stab at this.

Production quality can make a big difference. The broadcaster is capable of making an empty stadium seem full by using creative camera angles, and well placed microphones. A good production can all of a sudden turn a poor atmosphere into something that is enjoyable to be a part of. This is something that CONCACAF should be focused on producing(or whoever the broadcaster is).

The website also leaves a lot to be desired. I can't find a match-report let alone starting lineups. It wasn't until the first round of group games that they made it clear where to find the schedule and standings.

I've said this in another thread, that as long as CONCACAF is Mickey Mouse with this tournament, then the public will see it the same way. They need to whoop it up, advertise, and get people into it not as some tournament but as the regional championship. There are some good teams in this tournament, and there is no reason it can't be a premier tournament.

They are onsite splatty and they will be on site at Gillette...unless they chroma-keyed the Orange Bowl behind Gerry and Craig....plus I know they hit a round of golf at Doral. As for Goltv and the Canada match....again....if you're not in the "booking satellite feeds" business there is a lot that can go wrong and CONCACAF, not for the first time this tournament, has been having a nightmare...really a joke and you have to wonder for the next Gold Cup if Canadian broadcasters will be quick to pick up the rights to the entire tournament if that's what they are getting.

OK, thanks for the info.

Slightly off topic, do you know who did the GolTV coverage for our friendly against Hungary? It was Lee Godfrey and Either Dean or Schoen from GolTV doing comms but I'm not sure who did the camera and production work. Are Insight sports capable of doing full match production?

OK, thanks for the info.

Slightly off topic, do you know who did the GolTV coverage for our friendly against Hungary? It was Lee Godfrey and Either Dean or Schoen from GolTV doing comms but I'm not sure who did the camera and production work. Are Insight sports capable of doing full match production?

For the Canada/Hungary match GolTV sent Godfrey to Miami and he actually called the game "off the monitor" from there..the colour guys name escapes me...but he was one of the GolTV USA guys that normally does games in Spanish......The feed they picked up was from Hungary television....not the best, but the stadium was very small so the camera angles were not the best.. As far as Insight Sports capable of doing full match..it all comes down to money....they would just pay a company like Dome Productions (they do soccer for Sportsnet in Canada, Blue Jays...etc) to crew a live game and Goltv would just bring in their own play-by-play and colour people

he colour guys name escapes me...but he was one of the GolTV USA guys that normally does games in Spanish.....

Raphael Uncein, it came to me after posting.

While the production has been poor it's still better than 320x240 streams or not seeing it at all. I hope GolTV are getting enough viewers and will pick this up again. They finally got on Shaw recently so most of country has it available now.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

The website also leaves a lot to be desired. I can't find a match-report let alone starting lineups. It wasn't until the first round of group games that they made it clear where to find the schedule and standings.

I think that the Gold Cup organizers are reading this thread [:P]. I just went to the website, and each match links to a mathc report.

Archived