3. US Open golf, Saturday (TSN) - 295,000

4. Blue Jays at Nationals, Sunday (SN) - 286,000

5. Blue Jays at nationals, Friday (SN) - 275,000

6. NASCAR, Sunday (TSN) - 174,000

7. Gold Cup 1/4 Final, Saturday (SN) - 158,000

8. US Open golf, Friday (TSN) - 150,000

9. Yankees at Twins, Sunday (SN) - 141,000

10. TFC v FC Dallas (CBC) - 101,000

I wonder how those numbers for the Canada game are compiled - is that the digital feed numbers, or a tape-delayed broadcast? Or both?

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Holy sh...I don't know moby dick,but if you know all about those media departments let us know and shoot holes. i really don't care anymore. If you are satisfied so be it and it is very obvious that I care a hell of a lot more about Canadian soccer than you do and your it seems media buddies. If you get sick and tired, get of this board, I will not change capice amigo.

Capice bitter bones....it does get humourous when you have no idea who I am, what I actually do in the sport and that you're questioning my passion...if you did, you'd enjoy eating that big piece of humble pie!

quote:Originally posted by Mobiiiiiiiilio

Capice bitter bones....it does get humourous when you have no idea who I am, what I actually do in the sport and that you're questioning my passion...if you did, you'd enjoy eating that big piece of humble pie!

Mobilliio,whatever i have no idea what your media connection is and if you feel that strongly about that media I suggest you spill the beans and dispute what has been exposed on this board.Sofar dick all about out team, and again i have to read that sh,,by Mr ball trying to change the subject and pull that personal stuff. His intgelligence is so sickening and from what I remember about his past he has done dick all for our game. As a producer he was a big joke and extremely arrogant and impossible to communicate with. I hope you are not cut of the same wood. If you want to enlighten me and others about the workings in a media department or yours please do, but keep in mind that quite a few peolple will be very skeptical. I suggest you let us know who you are affiliated with and than we can be the judge. No I don't want to go to Chicago, I am extremely busy with my kitchen bus and leaving now is no good.I am contemplating seeing the final if we make it.

I hope you appreciate that I am trying to expose what the media is not doing and what reasons are behind this. It ain't very pretty and very much subject to very deep concern and in my case an extreme annoyance and downright created ignorance.Peace ok

Thanks Sigma,in the meantime there will be stories in The Star and The Globe have Larry Millson on his way to Chicago. I guess some phone calls,ok never mind,they will be covering the big game except no reporter from the Star,just wire stories.We are getting there.

quote:Originally posted by meteor

Ultimate f ucking Fighting for God's sake.

A sport that was watched by about 5X more people than the nats...

The MMA people have a better argument about not receiving appropriate coverage than soccer fans do. A far better argument.

Let me throw it out again...how much coverage should the Canadian national team get? Be specific and back up your opinion with facts...

quote:Originally posted by way2goeh

It gets worse.. this is from CanadaSoccer.com:

***********Are these people idiots? Gerba scored 3 goals? Come on......

So I take it that you've never made an error in anything you do at work? You do know that gamers are often written on about a 15 minute deadline, right?

The mistake likely got caught and adjusted at some point.

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

Not a single article in the Winnipeg Free Press today about the game. Very, very disapointing for a paper that does (and usually does) as the newspaper leader in Winnipeg.

Give them a phone call,the more the better.

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

Not a single article in the Winnipeg Free Press today about the game. Very, very disapointing for a paper that does (and usually does) as the newspaper leader in Winnipeg.

Man, that sucks.

The Toronto and national papers have been pretty good. Two articles in the Star. One in the Sun, plus a story dissing soccer fans in Edmonton. One in the Globe, plus a great soccer story by Stephen Brunt. Two in the National Post.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Man, that sucks.

The Toronto and national papers have been pretty good. Two articles in the Star. One in the Sun, plus a story dissing soccer fans in Edmonton. One in the Globe, plus a great soccer story by Stephen Brunt. Two in the National Post.

To be honest I would have preferred just one article in the Star. The one by Cathal Kelley is simply awful and is exactly the kind of coverage we don't need, basically diminishing the importance of the Gold Cup & condemning the quality of the Canadian team. It's another good example of what I was talking about on page two of this thread:

"While I agree that it is not the job of the sports media to promote events, at the same time the public is influenced by what the media will occasionally deem to be important - or in some cases un-important. The Gold Cup is an example of the latter. "

The worst thing is this is coming from one of the more prominent soccer writers in the city!

This guy is a jerk and I assume he is buttering up to his cohorts,Perkins and the like.I don't know who this guy is. I have left a few messages and he has never called back. But i will keep on trying,this has to stop, we need someone who understands our guys, who are so committed to Canada and it shows time and time again.This is the very best team that ever has represented Canada and with the popularity of Toronto FC it simply makes no sense. Our team is winning and won their group.They are scoring goals and certainly have gotten the attention of every team.We moved up the rankings in a very spectacular way and our style of play is highly technical and very very smart as well.

What more do you want.We demand and need a qualified soccer writer at the Star..

I disagree that he is a prominent soccer writer, I have never ever liked any of his articles and I have always sensed a certain dislike towards soccer as well.I have seen some artcles on Baseball and mayby that explains it, he likes that sleazy, drug invested, steal the bases and overweight bombastic phony world. Is he the real wolf?

I don't know but he has got to go!

I did read it this am. Yes I feel good about not only that article, but also the direction the Globe took some time ago in covering soccer the way it should be. Larry Millson and Peter Mallett as well as Stephen Brunt are doing a very good job. We are stuck with Kelly.What do you know about that Cat?

I am also happy to see Stephen think along the lines I have for many years and throws out that high level of National expectation when Canada goes to Africa. When this happens nothing can stop us anymore, this will be very very big and yes I will be going!

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

Calgary

Great again and keep up the good work. You know it is so uplifting to speak about Canadian soccer anyway.It is a great story and a lot more to come. It pays to be in the trenches as well. Stay in contact with these guys and let them know how much this is appreciated.

I hope there are more guys like you,it really helps a lot and the funny part is that you may be looked upon as an expert and they may very well call you even for comments on developinbg stories etc.

quote:Originally posted by Stephen LaRose

As a professional journalist and as a fan of Canadian soccer, let me say a few words.

http://gamedaysask.blogspot.com/2007/06/canadian-soccer-anyone-anyone-beuhler.html

http://gamedaysask.blogspot.com/2007/06/canada-3-guatemala-0-greatest-game.html

Didn't one of the TFC games draw 500,000 viewers? I seem to recall that there was a game aired on CBC immediately after one of their play off hockey games that drew this number. Obviously, inflated due to the spill over effect but consider also that the Score ( which drew the 15,000 figure) has a very limited reach and recognition. Yes, overall the numbers can be interpretted in many ways depending on whether you are a " glass is half full" or a "Glass is half empty" kind of person. Are these numbers far off from the raptors? Also, who ( in canada) will stay indoors in the middle of a weekend afternoon to watch television?

Because there is only one team in Canada, the numbers will never approach those of the NHL and CFL. But, judging from the make up of the crowd you see at BMO field, I would say that its the kind crowd that Advertisers salivate over. Contrast that with Curling, who draws immense numbers, but you keep hearing about how the game is tough to sell to advertisers. By the way, I used Curling as an example, not to slag it, but because it a sport that I happen to follow closely.

Welcome on board and hey Stephen if I have been insulting to the media I guess it kind of makes you wonder why things are being ignored and that just about by everyone. I am so happy to see this develop into a discussion and I hope more than anyone else that this thing was a storm in that teapot. Sofar i seem to have been on the right track. It is also funny that fournalists are by far the most sensitive people around which also makes me smile. Nothing that can't be solved with a good laugh and some changes afterall.To be very honest I have been fighting for recognition it seems for oodles of ages and i also have been very succesfull and even mr Ball and miss nightingale will attest to that.I really really appreciate the articles and I also very strongly believe that this soccer thing is about to explote. It only makes sense it simply is a very good and exciting game and it shows all over the world. Soccer in Canada for some rather strange reasons got shafted and i feel by those that preferred baseball and that is not the correct sports for the masses and certaily our kids. One of my employees just told me that he pulled hi kid out of baseball, boring he said, well we all know that by now.

Mr. LaRose, thank you and I still wonder if i ever mentioned that word conspiricy,I always tried to hide that word and apparently it did not work. I don't think it is organized it just seemed to happen that way,although from reading the inside story of one of yours it was it seemed a standing joke to run our game down and since this seems to be an accepted thing and even sometimes the biggest joke in a sports department I wonder what you could call this.I guess the end result is the same anyway.

Keep up the good work and let us all hope that we win this game tonight it is so big and when we make that final and win that one, I can just imagine when we bring that trophy into the BMO field, those stands will loose, no bold will hold.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Because there is only one team in Canada, the numbers will never approach those of the NHL and CFL.

Also it has to be said that TFC aren't just an expansion team, the MLS is for all intents & purposes in Canada an expansion league - the US teams are all largely un-known (though that is changing slowly in Toronto & may change big-time with the LA Galaxy once Beckham arrives, we'll have to see) due to lack of exposure on US television networks that most Canadians can get in previous years. This is not the same situation as the Jays or Expos joining MLB, or if a Canadian team was to join the NFL. Heck, the MLS had far less exposure in Canada than the NBA did when the Raptors & Grizzlies joined the league.

This in The "Journal de Montreal"

http://www.canoe.com/sports/nouvelles/archives/2007/06/20070621-054400.html

On espère casser leur party!»

MARTIN SMITH

Le Journal de Montréal

21/06/2007 05h44

Les joueurs québécois au sein de l'équipe nationale sont tous conscients de jouer ce soir le «match de leur vie» à l'occasion de la demi-finale de laGold Cup qui les opposera aux États-Unis au Soldier Field.

«Les Américains jouent chez eux, dans un stade qui pourrait être plein à craquer, un match dont l'enjeu est très important, rappelle Patrice Bernier. On espère casser leur party!»

L'ex-milieu de terrain de l'Impact, exilé en Norvège depuis quatre ans, a participé aux quatre matchs disputés par le Canada jusqu'à maintenant et s'attend à être encore sur le terrain ce soir.

«Tous les éléments seront contre nous mais, cette fois-ci, on est parvenu à faire ressortir toutes nos qualités, à mettre tout notre potentiel de l'avant dans un grand tournoi en jouant à un haut niveau.

«Les Américains nous fournissent une autre occasion de montrer que désormais, le Canada est là. Ce tournoi de la Gold Cup a été comme un déclic pour notre groupe. Tous nos rivaux continentaux savent maintenant qu'un affrontement contre le Canada sera très difficile.

«On était comme un feu très doux avant, mais les flammes viennent de jaillir durant cette Gold Cup.»

Andre Hainault est aussi animé par une envie que la belle aventure de la Gold Cup 2007 ne s'arrête pas ce soir.

Motivés et confiants

Le jeune défenseur central, titulaire lors des quatre premiers matchs, s'attend à être encore de la partie et ne ressentait pas de nervosité à la veille de cette rencontre au sommet.

«C'est évidemment le plus gros match de ma vie, mais je ne me sens pas nerveux pour autant», dit le jeune homme, qui a fêté ses 21 ans dimanche dernier.

«Je ressens juste la hâte de sauter sur le terrain pour jouer. On est tous conscients qu'il va falloir encore monter notre jeu d'un cran contre les États-Unis, mais on est prêt à ça. Notre motivation est aussi élevée que notre confiance. On croit très fort à nos chances de progresser jusqu'à la finale.»

Ali Gerba, auteur d'une superbe performance de deux buts et d'un jeu décisif sur un troisième but en quart de finale contre le Guatemala, est fidèle à sa réputation de paraître complètement détaché de toute pression.

«C'est sûr que la compétitivité va être à un niveau très élevé, reconnaît-il. Je m'apprête à jouer un des gros matchs de ma carrière, un affrontement où il y aura beaucoup d'adrénaline.

«Il faut savoir transformer tout ça en énergie positive pour réussir encore une fois à jouer très bien.»

Les Américains ont gagné chacun de leurs quatre matchs jusqu'à présent, mais leur performance a laissé place à pas mal de critique.

Jouer avec calme et assurance

Antonio Ribeiro est convaincu que le défisera très grand, mais il croit aux chances du Canada.

«L'équipe est très bonne, très opportuniste, dit-il. Même contre les meilleurs, on a réussi à très bien faire circuler le ballon, à le garder en notre possession et à convertir nos chances de marquer.

«Si on réussit à jouer avec le même calme, avec la même assurance, on a d'excellentes chances de gagner.»

Même s'il n'a pas encore joué une seule minute depuis le début du tournoi, Ribeiro estime vivre une aventure «vraiment exceptionnelle», a-t-il dit. «C'est une chance inouïe que d'être ici avec les meilleurs joueurs du Canada et de m'entraîner tous les jours avec eux.

«Comme n'importe qui d'autre, je préférerais jouer, mais je ne ressens pas de frustration à regarder les matchs depuis le banc des remplaçants. Même si l'entraîneur Stephen Hart me dit que je m'améliore chaque jour, je sais bien qu'il ne peut pas briser une combinaison gagnante. Néanmoins, tous les gars sont extrêmement gentils et traitent les remplaçants comme s'ils étaient des membres réguliers de la formation.»

Le Canada en sera à une troisième présence en demi-finale à sa huitième présence au tournoi de la Gold Cup.

Le Canada est le seul pays, outre les États-Unis et le Mexique, à avoir déjà gagné la Gold Cup. C'était en 2000. Deux joueurs de cette équipe championne de la CONCACAF sont encore présents : Paul Stalteri et Richard Hastings.

En phase préliminaire, le Canada a présenté une fiche de 3-1-0 avec huits buts marqués et trois concédés. Quant aux États-Unis, ils montré un dossier de 4-0-0 avec neuf buts réussis et un seul accordé.

Archived