Media coverage,Canadian team

john tv

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I believe that I was the one who got Gerry Dobson into soccer as well as Scot Morrison,Lance Hornby and many others.

Soccer is being ridiculed in all sports departments big time and it is a sort of standing joke among all sportswriters to knock soccer and that is without exception.

Unless your name is Scott Moore....you did not get Gerry into soccer....believe on this one...I know and your second point once again is like telling the whole grade 3 class they can't go to gym today because little Bobby punched another kid. Certainly there are the Griffin's of the world, but anyone who knows the sport can tell when someone is that ignorant to the game.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Free Kick you are totally offside again. We are only starting and getting to the problem that hurts Canadian soccer. There is no way we are going to stop. Now that we have some consensus and agree that this very nasty and just about destructive attitude exist and realize how powerful that attitude towards our game is, are we to surrender.Now we must unite and make that media aware that we know what is going on in all the sports departments and this has to stop and what they are doing to our sport.We demand equal opportunity and not this slanderous and negative attitude. Hey Free kick any word in the Star Canada's largest newspaper about our team.

It seems to me is that you accept this,why?

I strongly suggest that you rephrase your observation that you are tired of this thing. BS we are only starting and now we must act.

Do you have any valid suggestions how we can stop this crap at the sports departments and any suggestion how we can get the media interested and follow our team and any suggestions that may help and talk Canadian soccer.

I will never stop till we have the level of equal treatment and some respect for our sport and some positive recognition what we are trying to do for Canada.

Maybe you should start knocking on everyone's door in the country and tell them all to start watching soccer as much as they watch hockey.....the average regular season hockey game on Sportsnet or TSN draws 500,000 while CBC draw 1 million viewers each week. That is why some sports get a certain amount of coverage and others don't...yes it's the whole chicken vs. the egg thing but that is how the media decides what will get covered...RATINGS...the Canadian main stream are still not watching CMNT unless they get to the final. When Canada won in 2000 they were on the front page of every paper....I still have them. Right now Rogers Sportsnet is lucky to get 150,000 per broadcast. The Equal treatment you want will not come until people start watching more....case and point....Toronto FC.

It gets worse.. this is from CanadaSoccer.com:

Men's National Team

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Canada Dominant in 3-0 Win

Canada 3 : 0 Guatemala (match tracker)

Canada Dominant in 3-0 Win

The Canadian Men’s National Team advanced to the Gold Cup semi-final today in impressive fashion with a lopsided 3-0 victory over Guatemala at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts.

From the opening whistle, the Canadians maintained possession and controlled play with crisp passing in midfield, pushing the Guatemalans into a defensive shell in an attempt to protect their goal. The Canadians earned a well-deserved reward in the 15th minute when captain, Paul Stalteri, played Ali Gerba in on goal. Gerba’s strike beat Guatemalan goalkeeper to put the Canadians up 1-0.

The quick start seemed to give the Canucks confidence as they stroked the ball around the midfield with Guatemala rarely able to gain possession. Julian de Guzman and Atiba Hutchinson were able to enforce their will on the match and in the 25th minute, the two combined to set up Ali Gerba on a beautiful piece of combination soccer for his second goal of the match.

The nail in the coffin for Guatemala came in the 32rd minute, when de Guzman’s deflected strike sent Canada to a 3-0 lead.

In the second half, the Canadians seemed content to maintain possession and a strong defensive shape with the match well in hand. The Guatemalans rarely looked dangerous and Canadian keeper, Pat Onstad, was not called upon to make a quality stop in earning the shutout. Unable to muster any offense and much in the way of possession, Guatemala’s frustration began to boil over in the late stages of the match with star striker Carlos Ruiz opening a cut on the head of Canadian defender Richard Hastings with a vicious-looking elbow.

'This was a game of two halves' says Canadian coach Stephen Hart. 'We played a very balanced game in the first half, defending and attacking well. In the second half our plan was not to defend but to continue playing the way we did in the first. Although we were under pressure at times with Guatemala throwing so many players forward, our back four were exceptional in relieving the pressure'.

Despite some physical play in the late going, the Canadians maintained their composure and will await the winner of today’s USA versus Panama match in the semi-finals on Saturday 23 June.

*************Semis on Saturday the 23rd? Game is on the 21st.. OK, why not.. Canoe f-ed up also :

June 16, 2007 Ali Gerba scores three goals to lead Canada to a 3-0 win over Guatemala

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- Ali Gerba scored three goals in the first half and Canada reached the Gold Cup semifinals for the second time in the last four tournaments with a 3-0 win over Guatemala on Saturday.

Gerba scored in the 17th, 33rd and 44th minutes and Canada tightened its defence in the second half against its tiring opponent. Goalkeeper Pat Onstad, playing because Canada's top two goalkeepers were injured, made his only save in the first half.

The defending champion United States faced Panama in the second game of the doubleheader. On Sunday, Honduras faces Guadeloupe and Mexico plays Costa Rica in the other quarter-finals.

The semifinals are scheduled for Thursday night at Soldier Field in Chicago, where the final will be played three days later. The tournament involves teams from North and Central America and the Caribbean.

Only four players in the nine Gold Cups have scored more than three goals in a game. Luis Roberto Alves of Mexico had seven in 1993, Paulo Cesar Wanchope of Costa Rica had four in 1998, Landon Donovan of the United States had four in 2003, and Carlos Pavon of Honduras had four against Cuba on Wednesday.

Gerba, who plays for FC Goteborg in Sweden, has four goals overall, tying Carlos Pavon of Honduras for the lead in this year's Gold Cup.

Canada won the Gold Cup in 2000 and lost in the semifinals to the United States in 2002. Mexico, which won four times, and the United States, with three titles, are the only other champions since the tournament began in 1991.

Gerba's first goal came on a shot from the right side to the right of goalkeeper Ricardo Tigueno. Dwayne DeRosario, who was near the ball when it crossed the line, originally was credited with the goal.

Gerba made it 2-0 on an open shot from seven yards out that went to Tigueno's left. His next goal resulted from outstanding team work. Ante Jazic crossed the ball from the left side to DeGuzman, who shot from the top of the box. Gerba deflected the ball in.

Canada had a 2-1 record in group play, finishing first in Group A. Onstad played in the first game when he was serving a one-game suspension for a red card with Major League Soccer's Houston Dynamo. No. 1 goalkeeper Greg Sutton took over for the second game, a loss to Guadeloupe, but Onstad played in the third game after Sutton had a concussion.

Guatemala was second in Group B with a 1-1-1 record that included a loss to the United States.

***********Are these people idiots? Gerba scored 3 goals? Come on......

Atiba, Gerba and De Guz are the main photo on the cover of the Star sports today. I know the game report is just from a newsfeed, but surely, John must be somewhat happy about that? What to DeRosario and DeGuzman's dads think?

Thanks G.. that they seem to get the message.Picture and report is very good. I am quite happy but just hope that that media start to pay attentin to our team and go in full force to Chicago and start Monday or at least Tuesday with some reports.I have not spoken to Bobby or Tony. I did see Jonathan this Friday. He looks great and is looking forward in the matches against Chelsea in a friendly in Rotterdam and Liverpool in a tournament.

Can you imagine if the Toronto media were to elevate our Canadian team above tfc which they should do in theory.We now have to make sure that the next step takes place. Our players' desires and wants are to play for the national team first. This of course providing that media will give Canada even a thought which they have not. I will be on the telephone and speak to all the editors to make sure that they are there.If not you can blame me!

At the same time guys outside of Toronto please contact your local media and speak to the editor and make sure they are aware of that game and ask them are they sending any one and try to convince them that this is very inportant.Millions and millions of Americans i am sure will be following that team. In fact I am even curious what media the American team gets.It is them against us and on this level way bigger than ever experienced in Canadian sporting circles.Please make sure you call asap,this is very important. Yes I spoke to Bobby and he is so elated with that team and the way they play "way better than any team ever" he said.He was very proud how Julian set up that goal.He did not know that Julian is leading in the best player voting race.

On the one hand i agree it's getting better, and i hope the Under 20 WC and the team's fine performance at the Gold Cup will keep it going in the right direction.

However, sometimes i really have to shake my head. I watched the game live on some spanish station at the sports bar, so i turned to Sportsnet Connected last night to get a recap and maybe some of the goal calls. to my disgust, i had to wait 30 minutes for them to cover the game...behind highlights of baseball games between Houston and Seattle, and worst of all, Ultimate Fighting! If i had had the Sportsnet phone number i think i would called them and told them they were a bunch of idiots. i mean this is the station that actually does some justice to Canadian soccer, and it takes them 30 minutes to show highlights of our biggest win in years in the most popular sport in the world?

So yes it's getting better and reason for optimism, but sometimes i really don't know what the media are thinking. Ultimate f ucking Fighting for God's sake.

quote:Originally posted by meteor

On the one hand i agree it's getting better, and i hope the Under 20 WC and the team's fine performance at the Gold Cup will keep it going in the right direction.

However, sometimes i really have to shake my head. I watched the game live on some spanish station at the sports bar, so i turned to Sportsnet Connected last night to get a recap and maybe some of the goal calls. to my disgust, i had to wait 30 minutes for them to cover the game...behind highlights of baseball games between Houston and Seattle, and worst of all, Ultimate Fighting! If i had had the Sportsnet phone number i think i would called them and told them they were a bunch of idiots. i mean this is the station that actually does some justice to Canadian soccer, and it takes them 30 minutes to show highlights of our biggest win in years in the most popular sport in the world?

So yes it's getting better and reason for optimism, but sometimes i really don't know what the media are thinking. Ultimate f ucking Fighting for God's sake.

You have said it. ***** U fighting ahead of the Gold Cup. That is sad.

Gentlemen I really at one time thought that I was the only one is this country that seemed to get extremely upset by the treatment soccer was getting. In fact many many times I was ridiculed, cartoons were put up making me look like an idiot. I could list a whole bunch of names that now look like idiots. I will go over the posts over the years an pull them out and list the names of those that felt compelled to act this way.Or at least i think I should.On the top of my head there were LM,mrball, Dannyboy and miss nightingale just to name a few.

We are treated like shi....by the media and our MNT team.This phenomena what we see at BMO field has been there for many years. It was the media that kept soccer out of the lime light and as it shows for a very purposeful reason. What we now are seeing in Toronto will happen in Vancouver,Montreal and other cities in the long run. We are now unstoppable.Thanks Toronto FC fans!

However I strongly suggest that you contact your local media outlets and make sure that you convince them of the importance of the game this Thursday and hopefully coming Sunday.

In fact encourage as many people as possible to call write or sent an e-mail.

My good friend Peter Mallett of the Globe I hope started a trend.

However I strongly suggest that you contact your local media outlets and make sure that you convince them of the importance of the game this Thursday and hopefully coming Sunday.

In fact encourage as many people as possible to call write or sent an e-mail.

My good friend Peter Mallett of the Globe I hope started a trend.

I think that it is a good idea to politely e-mail the sports editors of your local papers and local newscasters. The Canadian Mens NT is off the radar for many of these people, but if they are made aware of a big game like Canada Vs USA, they may be more prone to using column inches or newscast-time on a preview or game review. When I mailed the FP in 2000 about missing our GC win, the editor replied to me personally and they ran a fairly big story the next day.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am wondering who got the goals officially, the ref's report would be the definitive version, not the press or even what the replays say. I am not sure if the ref errs if video can be used to rectify.

In any case Concacaf site had DeRo, and Gerba with two.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I am wondering who got the goals officially, the ref's report would be the definitive version, not the press or even what the replays say. I am not sure if the ref errs if video can be used to rectify.

In any case Concacaf site had DeRo, and Gerba with two.

Been wondering the same thing.

Wow Wow Wow, i was just made aware that D.B mrs Ball is behind my back trying to defend the media. I challenged him to grow up and say what he has to on this board. You guys be the judge. I am waiting Davey boy,let's have your defence of the media that choose to ignore our MNT.

We know the media coverage is poor and often biased (against soccer), but I suspect the reason why many here have ridiculed john tv from time to time is because he is sort of like a dog with a bone on the whole issue, and the fierceness of his complaints--and the earnestness of them--is sometimes easy to lampoon. I'm not saying this is fair treatment--just describing what I sense is the case.

Has anyone emailed Don Taylor yet? He doesn't have to like soccer, but he should at least report on our teams because they are CANADIAN. When Canadians do something in sport at the international level, they should get coverage. When one of our teams plays very well and advances to the semis, they should get even better coverage. Too many hockey numbskulls out there in our sports media. It IS possible to love hockey and soccer, and it IS possible to cover both well.

Yap I agree that I have been very powerful in my attempts to get this stuff out in the open. But what other way would there have been.Hey nobody got hurt except me in those flagrant attempts to bend this thing into being a drunk,conspiricy cartoons,a nut case. The whole twenty yards. The funny part is that I have a golden rule that is I never ever have more than three glasses of wine on any day.If you want call my local bar here in Pickering any bartender will tell you my limit is three.Never ever more than that and that even for a nigh as well.

I feel good about this situation being that I was right but that only pinpoints to a problem that needs to be solved. I tried to get the assignment editors on the phone but was out of luck so far.

I guess the lampoon is now on the other foot. What amazed me that why took it so long,why did I have to go through this crap,what reasons were there to sort of hide an issue that is so crucial in the betterment of our game. Why did I have to go in like a bull. Many a time anyone of you guys could have supported me but you did not. I knew all along that I was right and that I had to keep up this fight since it is so extremely crucial for the sake of soccer the future of our kids you name it.My attempts were to have soccer accepted and our kids don't have to pull a O.W or JDG.

We must have many more teams in the MLS here in Canada. We must be on the highest levels of a recognized sporting world. I have seen these kids and yes I was there with them,John Fitzgerald, Julian,Jonathan,Dwayne,Pesh,Stalteri,the list is endless.

Now that we know what is up and yes that I was so right,let us figure this thing out.

I really believe that we must set up a liaison and if it has to be a representative of the V. so be it If we have the numbers the drive and desire we can do wonders for our game.I really would like to see our kids having a dream playing for Canada,this is a must.I was so surprised that there were even soccer guys that were not aware of the Gold cup or results.

When I saw the game last Saturday i was surrounded by guys who were watching some awful mean wrestling. I let them have the sound.No one knew of Canada the Gold cup or anything at all. When screamed when Canada scored I kind of apologized. Anyway i had a good time.I still don't know what that wrestling was all about ,but those guys looked weird.Strange world.

Please call your local media and find out what the scoope is and if you can report back to the board please.

Does anyone have a better or more just description of that crap that is going on in every media room and still is.Selected ignorance,foreigners and foreign sport,non Canadian sport ,violent invaders or a sissy sport There was this high profile writer for that Star who compared all these zebra mussels that were invading the great lake system as those pesky Europeans soccer players invading Canada.I wish i could be nice about these guys and girls who have this crazy attitude towards us. It is still an emigrant sport since that media sure as heck made sure that the Canadians were really scared of that soccer it's violent history and foreign languages spoken. Look at this board who is from Canadian parents as well as our Canadian team players.I have been over this time and time again. That media did a wonderful scalping job and still are. They are all waiting for one riot at TFC or anything going wrong and they will pounce very very hard. They have been fighting us and we all know who these guys are and still are.Soccer and it's real value has not been shown in Canada yet.TFC bless their soles are doing a great job, but let us not forget that it is all about your National team,nothing more and nothing less.

I don't need this sh.. at all and I can live a very nice and comfortable life but I want to give something back to Canada and there it is,that crazy foreign,violent and sissy sport.

I don't need the ribbing all you accomplish is to look out of line and not knowing the truth and the consequences.

Hey Bailey I am waiting for your samples and reasoning that I am wrong and that the media is not against soccer or our National team,come on boy let's have it and not behind my back.

I guess I could call it typical of mr ball.

Ok Guys,no dice,spoke to both the Star and Sun and there will be no representation of these two at this game.I spoke to Dave Fuller at the Sun and Mary Ormsby at the Star,and in fact they both said the same,we know you like soccer very much but we will pick it up from the wire service.

I have not spoken to anyone at the Post and i really don't feel like it,maybe somebody else could.

Hey Mr. Ball there is a job for you!

Does anyone have a better or more just description of that crap that is going on in every media room and still is.Selected ignorance,foreigners and foreign sport,non Canadian sport ,violent invaders or a sissy sport There was this high profile writer for that Star who compared all these zebra mussels that were invading the great lake system as those pesky Europeans soccer players invading Canada.

John...I think many people on this board are starting to become offended by your approach...."that crap that is going on in EVERY media room." Have you visited every news room in the city and can back this up, are you just generalising based on one or two phone calls you've made to, as you call it "the effen" media. It's flat out unacceptable and it's quite obvious you do not know the difference between columnist and reporter. Why are you so bent out of shape that print media is not sending anyone?? Visit bcsoccerweb.com and get all the soccer articles from across the country you want...hell buy a ticket to Chicago and submit a story as a freelancer. Your language and bias against the media is getting old, tired and sounding like a skipping record and it's too the point that no one will take you seriously.

Holy sh...I don't know moby dick,but if you know all about those media departments let us know and shoot holes. i really don't care anymore. If you are satisfied so be it and it is very obvious that I care a hell of a lot more about Canadian soccer than you do and your it seems media buddies. If you get sick and tired, get of this board, I will not change capice amigo.

James Sharman had a lenghty phone interview with Stephen Hart on The Score today. Canada's "flair", the communication between Hart and Mitchell, and Ali Gerba's emergence were touched upon.

Hart also mentioned he watched the Guadaloupe game three times. He claims the team did not play badly.

Archived