Media coverage,Canadian team

john tv

I guess here we go again and again and again,that effen media coverage of our Canadian team.

I feel like an idiot who like a little child keeps harping about the same thing over and over and over again. I guess this goes back even before jesus was a corporal, but it is still there that nasty problem with that Canadian media. They don't like and don't want Canadian soccer.I really don't know why other than my conspricy reasons but you guys make fun of it so we will give it another name,but the reason I guess is still the same. Maybe we can call it deliberate ignorance.I have been ridiculed ,made fun of, even was suggested go back home and you name it,but guys the facts are staring us or in fact they are not staring us in the face.

I don't know what you want to do about it but something needs to be done. I don't want to go on as a raving maniac etc. I can assure you that the media knows me very well and respect me very much as well.

I expect you guys to come up with some ideas that can be very helpfull for our team to get that media of their asses and pay attention to these great guys. Soccer is happening.

One more thing guys please no more smart ass remarks, let us be very serious there is a lot at stake.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by john tv

I guess here we go again and again and again,that effen media coverage of our Canadian team.

I feel like an idiot who like a little child keeps harping about the same thing over and over and over again. I guess this goes back even before jesus was a corporal, but it is still there that nasty problem with that Canadian media. They don't like and don't want Canadian soccer.I really don't know why other than my conspricy reasons but you guys make fun of it so we will give it another name,but the reason I guess is still the same. Maybe we can call it deliberate ignorance.I have been ridiculed ,made fun of, even was suggested go back home and you name it,but guys the facts are staring us or in fact they are not staring us in the face.

I don't know what you want to do about it but something needs to be done. I don't want to go on as a raving maniac etc. I can assure you that the media knows me very well and respect me very much as well.

I expect you guys to come up with some ideas that can be very helpfull for our team to get that media of their asses and pay attention to these great guys. Soccer is happening.

One more thing guys please no more smart ass remarks, let us be very serious there is a lot at stake.

What are your expectations John....you're very vague about the crappy coverage....Every day after Canada plays in the Gold Cup there is at least one article in The Sun, The Star, The National Post and The Globe and Mail.....When Toronto FC wins they now find themselves on the front page.....it's taken years to get this far and most people should be able to see the progress the sport has made especially in the last year with regards to coverage. Every Toronto FC match on Television, Every Under 20 match on TV and Live.....for the first time in Canada every Gold Cup match is on television...it is improving, but unless you move to England I get the feeling you will never be satisfied

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Fixed your post.

You didn't fix it accurately, however. There are some people living in Canada that fit your description, but suggesting that it is most or all is not accurate (particularly the "want" comment).

Winning more games at the Gold Cup, WCQ, and Qualifying to the damn WC, thats the only thing that will generate significant media attention. Thats up to the team/CSA, and there's no sense complaining about the media not wanting to cover a story no one cares about. TFC proved it, build it and they will come.

Here we go again now they are fixing my posts and say things i never said. Like Canadian people don't like and don't want Canadian soccer.

WHAT THE HELLLLL IS GOING ON HERE WHO IS THIS EEFEN JERK. F.OFF.

It is all about the Canadian Media ignoring our Canadian team in the Gold cup and now this distortion.

Gian-Luca what is your take on this deliberate distortion,crazy crazy stuff.

Here we go again now they are fixing my posts and say things i never said. Like Canadian people don't like and don't want Canadian soccer.

WHAT THE HELLLLL IS GOING ON HERE WHO IS THIS EEFEN JERK. F.OFF.

It is all about the Canadian Media ignoring our Canadian team in the Gold cup and now this distortion.

Gian-Luca what is your take on this deliberate distortion,crazy crazy stuff.

"Fixed your post" is sort of a running internet joke, John. No one actually thinks you said the "fixed" quotation.

You know guys I run a very large business and sometimes I whish i could fire some of you guys,shooting only ghurts for a second.

How many times do I have to repeat myself, there is no Canadian reporter at the Gold cup and none will be there over the week end. If you think that is acceptable, so be it. I guess my little Dutch heart still feels a lot more for Canada than any of you jerks do. Remember there is no Canadiuan media at that game.

If you satisfied with the slum sport welll i ain't,it is still all about the printed media. So jerks get with it and smarten up. i sometimes wonder if you really are Canadian at all?

The printed media is dying a slow death. Focus on the internet. The Slam.ca story is better exposure than the Star or Globe.

You know guys I run a very large business and sometimes I whish i could fire some of you guys,shooting only ghurts for a second.

How many times do I have to repeat myself, there is no Canadian reporter at the Gold cup and none will be there over the week end. If you think that is acceptable, so be it. I guess my little Dutch heart still feels a lot more for Canada than any of you jerks do. Remember there is no Canadiuan media at that game.

If you satisfied with the slum sport welll i ain't,it is still all about the printed media. So jerks get with it and smarten up. i sometimes wonder if you really are Canadian at all?

I wish I could quit.

And to address another john tv post:

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Our players are not happy with the media coverage and even family members have been after the CSA to do something about it.

Obviously it is not working at all. The only ones that can make the difference are we. If we elect to unite and start a campaign to contact that media it will help, but knowing you guys forget it.

I will keep om fighting my own battles and I guess if the boys win they have no choice. These are the same guys that elevated Canada into the 56 place, a tremendous jump,still nothing.

If you read the papers you will know were the reporters are.I am to ashamed to even mention what events.

We found out Friend and Gervais won't be playing Saturday on Sportsworld yesterday. 10 years ago I don't think we would have got this information on TV. Things are improving, John. It's not going to happen overnight.

Our players are not happy with the media coverage and even family members have been after the CSA to do something about it.

Obviously it is not working at all. The only ones that can make the difference are we. If we elect to unite and start a campaign to contact that media it will help, but knowing you guys forget it.

I will keep om fighting my own battles and I guess if the boys win they have no choice. These are the same guys that elevated Canada into the 56 place, a tremendous jump,still nothing.

If you read the papers you will know were the reporters are.I am to ashamed to even mention what events.

quote:Originally posted by striker

We found out Friend and Gervais won't be playing Saturday on Sportsworld yesterday. 10 years ago I don't think we would have got this information on TV. Things are improving, John. It's not going to happen overnight.

Yes. That is pretty much the way I feel. Generally, I am please with the way things are. Some outlet do leave alot to be desired ( eg.: TSN) , but five years ago, we would not have dreamed to be where we are now.

From a distance and as a total outsider of this industry, I have observed that it seems like the speed of growth in popularity of the game has been so rapid that the media ( like any other industry) kind of got caught off guard and I sence ( maybe incorrectly) that perhaps there is uncertainty in how to handle this or what impact or end result it will all have. The industry from my eyes looked very much homogenous ( ie.: middle aged white men who grew in a canada where the only sports that you could find on TV and and read about in the newspapers was Hockey, baseball and other popular sports south of the 49th). A zebra cant change its stripes.

So, screamming at them accomplishes nothing. IMO, it actaully makes it worst for the game because isolates or marginalizes the supporters.

It's like with a woman, see? If you chase her around and tell her how much you need her she backs off. But if you're independent, play it reeeeaaaal cooooool like, got your own scene going on? Then she's hooked. Thinks you're the bees knees. Can't say enough about you.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Mobiiiiiiiilio

John...before you start going to different media outlets with a gun...check out the top story on www.slam.ca right now

Mike Weir, yeah!

Or were you referring to Kobe Bryant watching Barça train? Don't look at that one guys, turns out Kobe is "an avid soccer fan".

Anyways, the Gold Cup poll is totally arsehole cynical and justifies John's point of view.

And having no reporter at the Gold Cup from Canada IS disgraceful, especially from CP. The only decent interview we have got is from the Spurs site with Stalteri. Or maybe MLS for a player of a league team.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

And having no reporter at the Gold Cup from Canada IS disgraceful, especially from CP. The only decent interview we have got is from the Spurs site with Stalteri. Or maybe MLS for a player of a league team.

In defence of that position, I can state that, outside, of this little group here. Nobody is talking about the Gold cup. Is that fair? nope, not In My Opinion; It should be more recognized. But is because the media is not giving it enough coverage ? Or is it that the papers didn't send a reporter because nobody is talking about it?

Whereas the local soccer team, everybody knows about. On the elevator earlier morning, the topic on Sunday's game versus Dallas came up and, by the way, I was not the one who raised it. But if I were to switch topic to the Gold Cup, I could safely say that I would get mostly puzzled stares as responses.

So whose fault is it? IMO its much more Jack Warners and Concacaf's fault than the media.

I think this picture speaks a thousand words about why there si no reporter at the GC but people know about TFC.

2464002030059262121S425x425Q85.jpg

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Soju

It's like with a woman, see? If you chase her around and tell her how much you need her she backs off. But if you're independent, play it reeeeaaaal cooooool like, got your own scene going on? Then she's hooked. Thinks you're the bees knees. Can't say enough about you.

It's so true. This is just like the Media.

Either way, they screw you.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

In defence of that position, I can state that, outside, of this little group here. Nobody is talking about the Gold cup. Is that fair? nope, not In My Opinion; It should be more recognized. But is because the media is not giving it enough coverage ? Or is it that the papers didn't send a reporter because nobody is talking about it?

Whereas the local soccer team, everybody knows about. On the elevator earlier morning, the topic on Sunday's game versus Dallas came up and, by the way, I was not the one who raised it. But if I were to switch topic to the Gold Cup, I could safely say that I would get mostly puzzled stares as responses.

So whose fault is it? IMO its much more Jack Warners and Concacaf's fault than the media.

I think this picture speaks a thousand words about why there si no reporter at the GC but people know about TFC.

And yet, nobody I know gives a damn about FIFA Rankings, yet today, due to CBC Radio covering the jump by Canada as part of their hourly sportscast I have had a half dozen people who know that I am keen on soccer ask me about both the rankings and the Gold Cup (due tot he story reporting the jump due to 2 wins at the Gold Cup - eroneously I know).

There has been many studies related to the influence of the media in politics and most have concluded that while media stories have little impact on what we think, they have considerable impact on what we think about. So its chicken and egg. Nobody talks about the Gold Cup except a select few, because nobody is covering it.

quote:

Well its difficult to compare a private company forking out the cash to promote one of their products to an interational soccer tournament. I have found people are talking about the Gold Cup more than they have in previous years (bar 2000) but certainly in Toronto not as much as they would be with more prominent tv coverage. While it's great that we are able to see every game if we want to, from an exposure point of view having the games on live only on digital tv & then on "normal" tv at two in the morning isn't helping one bit. A lot more people have heard about the results rather than actually have seen them, and that's actually due to the media coverage.

Regardless, the press are covering the matches, they aren't doing so to the extent that some of us would like. And I have now seen some members of the press poke fun at the team for the loss to Guadeloupe while conversely those same people have said nothing about Canada advancing to the Q-F or the quality performance against Costa Rica. It's that sort of cynicism with certain members of the media which makes me sympathize somewhat with John. I've never cared for the "let's ignore the team when they are successful while hurling abuse at them when they fail" mentality with some members of the media.

Archived