Canadian legend - Igor Vrablic

Cyclops

"Vrablic soon signed with a top professional team in Greece. But then came the charges from the RCMP that he and three other Canadian national team members took bribes to fix matches during a Singapore tournament."

Who were the other 3 that alledgedly took bribes?

Latest about Igor Vrablic in article below highlighted from KW Record

Saturday, June 16, 2007 | Updated at 7:19 AM EDT

Music teacher put on 'home duty'

Woman charged in drug bust still has her job

CHERRI GREENO

WATERLOO (Jun 16, 2007)

http://www.therecord.com/home_page_local_story/home_page_local_story_1074356.html

A Waterloo public school teacher, charged last week with trafficking drugs, has been assigned to "home duty" by the school board.

Margaret Coleman, manager of communications for the Waterloo Region District School Board,said yesterday that the teacher has been assigned to home duty "pending the outcome of the judicial process."

That means Andrea Spoltore, 35, a popular music teacher at Centennial Public School, is at home and is still employed by the board.

Coleman also read out a statement prepared by Dave Spence, superintendent of education at the board.

"Anytime a teacher is charged with a criminal offence it is cause for deep concern within the board," the statement said.

Spoltore was charged along with her husband, Ralph Edward Spoltore, and one-time soccer star and Olympian Igor Vrablic, after police raided her Brookmill Crescent home in the Laurelwood area of Waterloo last week.

Ralph Spoltore, 36, a former Wilfrid Laurier University football star, was arrested in Port Huron, Mich., after allegedly trying to sneak almost six kilograms of marijuana across the border.

In the police raid at the Brookmill Crescent home, officers seized 8.5 kilograms of marijuana, 3,000 ecstasy pills, drug paraphernalia, more than $11,000 in Canadian cash and more than $6,000 in U.S. cash.

The marijuana has a street value of about $85,000. The ecstasy pills are valued at about $30,000.

The couple's two young children have been staying with family.

Andrea Spoltore has been released from custody but her husband remains in jail. Vrablic has also been released from jail.

cgreeno@therecord.com

quote:Originally posted by Alex

Wow how good was this guy? 35 caps, 11 goals from 1984 - 1986, all before he was 20. I didnt realize hes only 40 now.

Honestly, he wasn't that good. Not much pace and not the best touch but he was obviously in the right place and right time to score 11 in only 35 games. That's a very respectable ratio.

Sadly, he did not do well in his only year in the NASL and he did not do very well with the CSL Blizzard in 1987.

IIRC, he later played with Panhellenic in the NSL and broke his leg. I think that was the end for Igor at that level of soccer. I really don't know what happened after that but I'd sure like to know.

db

Was it 11 or 12? The all-time CSA list shows 11, a review of the game capsules show 12, confirmation pending.

My article on Insidesoccer: www.insidesoccer.net/?p=266

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Honestly, he wasn't that good. Not much pace and not the best touch but he was obviously in the right place and right time to score 11 in only 35 games. That's a very respectable ratio.

db

Archived