Edson Buddle for Tyrone Marshall

MM2

Great move. Salary neutral (Buddle: 140k base, Marshall 142k base). Looks to be a quality MLS centre back. We really needed one. Looking forward to seeing him in the back line. Already this has Mo dropping hints in the Globe article that Welsh's position is not assured, and that this acquisition will let him play Brennan at LM.

This also either implies a vote of confidence in Lombardo to come off the bench, or else the signing of the Trinidadian fellow is near.

I'd love to see Brennan come out of the back and play LM. He's too valuable moving forward NOT to have him in the midfield. He's quick, has a great shot, and can cross very effectively. Welsh is good in the first 30 minutes of the game, then he's done. Mind you, this is the case with most of TFC, though to be fair most of the guys don't run out of gas until the middle of the second half.

This sounds like a great move. I've not been impressed with Buddle at all. And if this means Lombardo gets more time: awesome.

I'm not as down on Buddle as some here seem to be. With his MLS track record, I'm sure he'd have produced if Mo had stuck with him longer. Even good players have slumps from time to time.

That being said, I do think he's overpriced for a third striker (which he became when we traded Esky for Cunningham, prior to that I think there was a legitimate battle for the #2 striker position between Esky and Buddle) and it looks like we're getting a quality centre back in return.

My only real regret is that I was finally getting comfortable with Brennan at centre back and had even been thinking that he and McKenna would make a good first-choice pairing back there for the national team for next while (until Edgar or Hainault step up and claim a regular spot with the national team). However, if Brennan is no longer playing centre back regularly for TFC then I don't think we should throw him in there in international play.

Hopefully the risk of losing his spot to Brennan will light a fire under Welsh. If it does, and Welsh improves enough to keep his spot, Brennan can always take Goldthwaite's spot at left back instead. A little healthy competition between the three of those guys will be nothing but positive for the overall standard of the team.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Good Move. Aside from that one goal in the Carolina Cup, he's been practically invisible.

My feelings exactly. The last time he came in, I'd totally forgotten that he was still with us.

I don't want to be mean to the guy but ya, invisible is the right word.

B

According to Galaxy Big Soccer posters, Marshall has been one of their best players in the past but has been very poor this year. The general impression is that his play is rapidly declining with age. It seems like the fans of both teams don't feel they are giving up much in this trade. I do agree TFC needs a centre back and Buddle hadn't done much or even looked that interested so far this year (and the Galaxy fans do say that Marshall gives 100%). Hopefully a change of scenery will help Marshall find his old form. BTW, lots of rumours on Big Soccer of Yallop being fired.

quote:Originally posted by AvroArrow

Marshall will be suspended for the next game because of a red card he got in his last game with the Galaxy. I'm hearing rumours that this has been increased to 3 games. Apparently he broke an opponents leg with a tackle.

....from KW Record

http://www.therecord.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=record/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1181796656335&call_pageid=1024322085460&col=1024322199505

Toronto FC acquired an all-star defender yesterday, trading forward Edson Buddle to the Los Angeles Galaxy for Tyrone Marshall.

The 32-year-old Marshall, a fixture on the Jamaican national team, is in his 10th Major League Soccer season. He's played for the Colorado Rapids, Miami Fusion and the Galaxy, earning MLS defensive player of the year honours in 2004 and 2005 with L.A.

"He's a quality experienced, international defender,'' Toronto coach Mo Johnston said in a release.

Marshall won't be available right away, however. He picked up a three-game suspension yesterday for a hard tackle that left Dallas striker Kenny Cooper with a broken leg. Marshall was also fined $1,500 US by MLS.

"Yallop being fired" Sweet Justice!:D

I saw him on a highlights package with a new poofy bouffant hairstyle and California fake tan..looks like he got a little cosmetic surgery as well...and I think to myself...what a self serving, opportunistic, over inflated, egomaniacal, knob polishing, butt kissing, draft dodging, "it's all about giving the players freedom man", gutless wimp of a wet noodle, "no tengo cojones senor", passive agrresive, backsliding, spin doctoring...chump.

I hope he's next spotted lining up at the EI office.

From the Galaxy's webpage:

L.A. Galaxy acquire forward Edson Buddle

Defender Tyrone Marshall sent to Toronto FC in exchange for proven goalscorer

CARSON, Calif. - The Los Angeles Galaxy today acquired forward Edson Buddle from Toronto FC in exchange for veteran defender Tyrone Marshall. A seven-year MLS veteran, Buddle has scored 48 goals in 144 career games, including six goals in 13 games against the Galaxy. From 2002-2005, Buddle scored 39 goals for the Columbus Crew, making him the fourth leading scorer in MLS over that period, behind only Taylor Twellman, Carlos Ruiz and Jeff Cunningham.

"Tyrone has been an important member of the club and it is sad to see him go," Galaxy head coach Frank Yallop said. "Unfortunately, in this league you have to give up something of value in order to get something back and in this instance we've had to give up Tyrone."

Buddle, 26, began his career in Columbus in 2001 and scored 42 goals in his five years with the Crew, making him the fourth leading scorer in club history while also helping the club win the 2002 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. In 2004 Buddle, who has appeared once for the U.S. National Team, set a career-high when he scored 11 goals to lead the Crew to a first place finish in the Eastern Conference. He was traded to New York prior to the start of the 2006 season and he appeared in 28 games for the Red Bulls, making 24 starts and scoring six goals to finish tied for second on the club.

A native of New Rochelle, N.Y., Buddle was traded to expansion team Toronto FC in November and has appeared in all 10 games for them this season, making five starts and collecting two assists.

"Edson is a proven goalscorer as well as being a solid young player in this league," Yallop said. "We feel that he is a good fit for the club and look to get him back scoring goals regularly."

Marshall has been with the Galaxy for the last six years, winning a pair of MLS Cup championships with the club and appeared in 125 games with LA. A nine-year MLS veteran, Marshall played in Colorado and Miami before coming to Los Angeles in the 2002 MLS Allocation and Dispersal Draft. He started all eight of the Galaxy's games this season, scoring once. He would have been suspended for the Galaxy's game against Real Salt Lake on Sunday after being sent off late in LA's loss at FC Dallas on Saturday.

NAME: Edson Buddle

POSITION: Forward

HT: 6-1

WT: 170

DATE OF BIRTH: May 21, 1981 in New Rochelle, N.Y.

LAST CLUB: Toronto FC

NATIONALITY: U.S.A.

ROSTER DESIGNATION: Senior Roster

TRANSACTION - Los Angeles Galaxy acquire forward Edson Buddle from Toronto FC in exchange for defender Tyrone Marshall.

http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20070613&content_id=98596&vkey=pr_lag&fext=.jsp&team=t106

Dunno how much of Reda's invisibility is due to injury and how much is due to suckage. Collin Samuel (the TNT guy from Dundee Utd) showing up though, doesn't seem to bode well for Abbe Ibrahim. Samuel, if signed, would provide competition for Cunningham, with Lombardo probably mostly subbing off Dichio, putting Ibrahim at #5.

Archived