Too Expensive to play at Home?

canadianfoot

Recently I stumbled upon an article(trying to find the link again) in which the CSA Coach(read Frank Yallop) said "Canada play's more often in Europe since it is cheaper there." Apparently the cost of a single game for Team Canada is around 100k(cost of travel from Europe and facilities, etc) while in Europe because they use infrastructure that is already in place the costs are cut in Half. Has anyone read that article? What's CSA "budget" for games? 300k per annum(1home and 4abroad)?[B)]

well, $20 multiplied by 20000 seats at BMO field would come to $400000, so that makes for a nice profit of $300000. Furthermore, even 5000 fans would make them break even, so it sounds to me like a bit of a moot point.

The CSA should quit complaining, and start doing things that will make people come to the games. They can start by committing to the program, and follow that up by advertising the games properly.

quote:Originally posted by georg

...and whatever happened to the Canada Cup??

It was good, attendance-wise, at teh beginning. But after that( in its final year), It just didn't sell very well and the CSA ended up losing its shirt. But I believe that with BMO field now around and MLSE to partner with, now is the time to revive it.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

well, $20 multiplied by 20000 seats at BMO field would come to $400000, so that makes for a nice profit of $300000. Furthermore, even 5000 fans would make them break even, so it sounds to me like a bit of a moot point.

The CSA should quit complaining, and start doing things that will make people come to the games. They can start by committing to the program, and follow that up by advertising the games properly.

And I think $20 would be a pretty conservative average price. You could sell out the cheap seats at $20 and I think $60 would be reasonable for the better seats. Not to mention if they had their act together on merchandise sales and other opportunities.

quote:Originally posted by orletafc

Recently I stumbled upon an article(trying to find the link again) in which the CSA Coach(read Frank Yallop) said "Canada play's more often in Europe since it is cheaper there." Apparently the cost of a single game for Team Canada is around 100k(cost of travel from Europe and facilities, etc) while in Europe because they use infrastructure that is already in place the costs are cut in Half. Has anyone read that article? What's CSA "budget" for games? 300k per annum(1home and 4abroad)?[B)]

I believe this was with respect to flying home the players from their European-Based clubs all the way to Canada. If they play a game in Europe, it is much easier (and cheaper) logistically to regroup your most of your team, which at the time was European based. Now I see it as more close to a 50/50 European vs NA player pool.

way i see it. games in canada are rediculesly over priced. cheapest whitecaps games are 15 dollars and some of these guys we play against in the winter VMSL league or PCSL. Canada freindlys should be no more than 20 dollars. but their world cup qualifyiers were going for 40 - 80 dollars for a team thats ranked 56th in the world that is a bit over priced. as well if you consider brining the prices down you could play at commenwelth and have a sold out crowd which would have a better atmosphere that the european based players are used to playing at. I think BMO field is too small for a national team stadium 40,000+ is usually a national team stadium

Over Priced? The U-20 games in Montreal are between 10-30 and you won't find any tickets for 30$. So I think 20$ it's a fair price. I only hope that with the BMO will serve us well and that will help us to play more game and to make money of it, cause a lot of federation are using friendly for one good reason, to make money and the problem here is that we don't play friendly because it's expensive! How come? No good result, no exposure, no game, no exposure and no exposure, no commandit, so no money. The BMO field is important but more important is the TV. I only hope that Fred Nykamp will improve the business side of the game in Canada.

Archived