What has impressed me most [R]

Alex

Since I have been following Canada since our 2000 gold cup victory, theres one thing that has been the most refreshing. Thats the GOALS!! In our last 5 games we have scored an astonishing 10 goals! 3 vs Bermuda, 2 vs Venezuela, Costa Rica and Haiti and 1 vs Guadeloupe. For this team that is something ive never seen and I cant believe nobody has said anything yet (that ive seen). I know 2 goals per game isnt over the top but i find it an achievement if we only get one. By the way Dero is the first player since Pesch to hit the 10 goal mark.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Hmmm.

Hadn't noticed but now that you mention it, yeah. How do you like that? When was the last time we scored into the oppositions goal in 5 straight matches?

Gotta be a good long while.

Not that long:

October 9 2004 Honduras 1 Canada 1

Ocotober 13 2004 CR 3 Canada 1

November 17 2004 Canada 1 Guatemala 0

February 9 2005 Canada 1 NI 0

March 26 2005 Canada 1 Portugal 4

July 2 2005 Hoinduras 2 Canada 1

But I agree with the feeling that this team can score goals and it's not an issue like it used to be.

So 3 more goals today? how bout that? 13 goals in the last 6. Stalteri, Hutchinson, Radzinski vs Bermuda, Gerba, DeRo vs Venezuela, De Guzman (2) vs CR, Gerba vs Guadeloupe, DeRo (2) vs Haiti and Gerba, DeRo and an own goal vs Guatemala, for 13. The thing about this team is that, yeah Loyola you mention 6 games there where we scored, but it was only one per game, now were scoring 6 games in a row and managed to score more than one goal in five of the six.

By the way, DeRosario moves up and now has 11 goals for Canada, Gerba has 4 (I think).

quote:Originally posted by Alex

So 3 more goals today? how bout that? 13 goals in the last 6. Stalteri, Hutchinson, Radzinski vs Bermuda, Gerba, DeRo vs Venezuela, De Guzman (2) vs CR, Gerba vs Guadeloupe, DeRo (2) vs Haiti and Gerba, DeRo and an own goal vs Guatemala, for 13. The thing about this team is that, yeah Loyola you mention 6 games there where we scored, but it was only one per game, now were scoring 6 games in a row and managed to score more than one goal in five of the six.

By the way, DeRosario moves up and now has 11 goals for Canada, Gerba has 4 (I think).

11 is pretty impressive given that Pesch and Carlo were the only ones to reach double didgits in recent memory. A good run through the Hex and DeRo may be putting some pressure on Catliff and his new manager for the all-time lead.

It's not just the goals but the quality of them. There has been some good passing that has lead to the goals. One thing I did not expect is the finishing of Gerba. This guy has really made his mark on the team. This has lead to some very healthy competition for the forward spots. Who would have rated Gerba ahead of Hume before the tournament?

As far as I am concerned, Ali Gerba has stolen the #1 striker spot from Friend, who I believe was basically gifted the spot upon his transfer to Holland. Friend is tall and strong and can knock down balls, but Gerba can do the same, and tho not as tall is equally strong on the ball, AND CAN FINISH. Gerba scores goals.

Friend will have to earn the spot back, we shall see.

i think Friend is quality..it's great to have options.

I agree about the goal thing..Pesch if my memory serves me correctly didn't score for like 7 years at one point..LOL..more talent on the team now than we've had in a long while(if ever). very nice to see some quality build up and finishing out there.

In this QTR-F match I was most impressed with how disciplined the lads played. They gave up very few retaliatory fouls, if any outright retaliations, and the yellow cards were iffy. Yet they stayed tuff against some rather dirty play. Sure, the unsporting play did not rise to previous notorious levels, but the lads stuck to their knitting.

The first half was aggressive possession. We got results from creative, and persistently patient, build-ups. That's something new for Team Canada, and is also imprressive.

The second half was a great defence of our lead. Even if it had been a one-goal lead it showed we could press upfield, play with the ball, dispossess or pressurize, and keep the shot tally low. And all the while threatening more goals.

We got that come-from-behind thing, too, in recent games. (Guadeloupe is not to be mentioned again, heh).

Granted, we can expect stronger teams to be far more adaptable to such a scenario against us, but this game had both aspects -- earn the lead, hold the lead, counter-attack.

This thread originally started with discussing Canada's goal output, but I thought I would throw in a few thoughts about what has impressed me in our tournament:

- Stalteri's defensive positional play at right back. I am always impressed by how well he reads a centrally played through ball (and I'm not including our own back passes resulting in Onstad getting cranked!). In the UEFA Cup semi-final first leg he made a great challenge on Kanoute in the second half which was set up by his original defensive cover positioning. Coming back from several injuries I wasn't sure how he would do in this tournament but IMO he has re-established himself as the best right back in CONCACAF.

I shudder to think if we had Braz starting there;

- DeRosario's all-around play. His work ethic is tremendous and a huge help to our defensive shape. He has helped make Jazic far more confident playing in an attacking role during this tourney, knowing that he has dependable defensive help. However, I worry that they may face a lot more pressure on Thursday night. And finally;

- what would most people on this board have said if you predicted three weeks ago that Onstad and Nash would play important roles with our team at this stage of the tournament?

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

As far as I am concerned, Ali Gerba has stolen the #1 striker spot from Friend, who I believe was basically gifted the spot upon his transfer to Holland. Friend is tall and strong and can knock down balls, but Gerba can do the same, and tho not as tall is equally strong on the ball, AND CAN FINISH. Gerba scores goals.

Friend will have to earn the spot back, we shall see.

Last night before bed the thought of Gerba matched with Friend ran through my mind. It's hard to imagine messing with this wonderful five man adapted mid that lets us use all of our best players, but those two guys up front might make for a Bellamy-Crouch, Radzinski-Koller type of pairing - not that Gerba is a small man by any means, but you get the idea.

Archived