Greg Sutton still concussed

RS

quote:Concussions can be a nightmare and Greg Sutton is living one right now. He's out and Pat Onstad gets the call for Canada's crucial third group stage match against Haiti.

The Toronto FC keeper originally suffered the injury when blasted in the head by the ball during a training session at close range. Then wouldn't you know it, a ball boy bonked him during the pre-game warm-up against Guadeloupe.

Who knows with these head injuries when Sutton will be back? He said Sunday morning he wasn't feeling too bad, but the Canadian coaching staff took it out of his hands by making the decision to pull him out.

LINK

Nothing against Sutton, but I had hoped Onstad would be with us for the duration after the CR match. Onstad is pumped about playing for Canada and would love to take Canada the distance. And if we are going to call Onstad in a second time, we better keep him for the rest of the tournament, regardless how Sutton feels.

I agree with you, and this quote from the article seems to confirm that theory:

"He said Sunday morning he wasn't feeling too bad, but the Canadian coaching staff took it out of his hands by making the decision to pull him out."

If he still was concussed that would at least explain the first goal.

Good of Houston to release him on such short notice.

A-gin.

Gotta be very careful with those concussions. Hard to make a real medical judgement about how serious they sometimes are or how fully recovered a person may be. Sutton could be just a boot to the head or a flying elbow away (both innocently delivered I'm sure) from something much more serious than a temporary bit of a groggy living.

But all this begs the questions;

A). If Sutton was still a bit blurry why was he playing? Even if Onstad wasn't available anymore, so what? For no other reason than his real health he's got no business on the pitch.

B). If this little exercise is just a move by all concerned to drop Sutton for the Old Man than what does that mean? Nothing good for Greg's confidence I'll bet.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

But all this begs the questions;

A). If Sutton was still a bit blurry why was he playing? Even if Onstad wasn't available anymore, so what? For no other reason than his real health he's got no business on the pitch.

Jason Bent 2? (was that ever resolved, btw?)

Either the CSA is blatently lying through the media or the CSA is putting Greg Sutton at some serious risk, whether he freely allowed himself to be put there or not.

That's a crazy conspiracy....I would think that if Sutton is on the bench tonight there might be something wrong with the staff....medical in particular. But if Giacomi is on the bench, than it makes sense.

BTW, if Onstad plays another good game tonight and we get tot he next round, Hart will have a nice problem for the next games....go with Onstad or Sutton?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

BTW, if Onstad plays another good game tonight and we get tot he next round, Hart will have a nice problem for the next games....go with Onstad or Sutton?

Sutton shouldn't see the field again this tournament. Absolutely nothing reasonable about messing around with a concussion that will have kept him out of 2 games. If we have to go with Giacomi because Onstad is not available - if Houston were to say no - then so be it.

I have suffered 4 concussions with 2 coming from soccer. Depending on the severity Sutton should not be playing for a minimum of at least 2 weeks for the lightest concussion up to months for a more serious one. They are not easy to recover from and you are hazy and basically nowhere near you usual self if you are still in post concussion status. I hope he gets better and I dont think he should be playing right now for the better of the team and his own health/confidence.

Just to get a word in before the game: anyone suggesting a conspiracy is out of their mind! I'm not a fan of the CSA, but they have nothing to do with this. Sutton's concussion problem started before the Costa Rica game - before he could make any mistakes and have his #1 status questioned. Onstad once said that he would only come back if Canada was in a jam and really needed him, so the problem was real.

As for the Guadaloupe game, I think the first goal was just one of those fluky things that happens in sports, and no blame should be assigned. If, however, you want to blame someone, then Hastings botched that one. The second goal was pure class. I don't care if the keeper was Buffon, Schmeichal, or Yashin, it would be wrong to expect any keeper from any era to save that one.

Sutton is hurt, and having friends who have gone through multiple concussions, I think he should sit on his ass and do nothing for atleast two weeks. That rules out the entire GC and the June 17th TFC game. One more hit to the head right now would likely keep him out for months instead of just weeks.

Archived