GERG SUTTON IS AWFUL

Javier

I SAW THE GAME IN ARGENTINA ON ESPN AFTER REAL MADRID*-ZARAGOZA.....AND YOUR GOALIE WAS A MUPPET..IN THE FIRST GOAL....WAS JUST STUPID., AND ANGLOMA WAS VERY LUCKY...

BUT THIS SUTTON GUY IS FAT AND SLOW.....LOOKS LIKE A BOXER NOT A SOCCER PLAYER ......

I REMEMBER A CANADIAN GOALKEEPER THAT WAS IN TOTTENHAM AND IN YOUR NATIONAL TEAM, THAT GOALIE WAS VERY TALENTED ..WHERE IS THAT GUY? HIRSFFIELD OR HIRSHFELD WHERE IS HE ?

REGARDS

JAVIER

quote:Originally posted by Javier

i ve got it from csa website

lars hirschfeld player of norway giant rosenborg...why he is not in your squad? the guy is a great goalie as i remember

regards

Lars was originally called, but due to pressure from his club, who is currently in season, he backed out.

Being among other things a former goallie,it seems that Sutton should not have been that far out of his goal,There simply was no reason at all. Maybe a case of lack of match alertness.You have always be very aware that you could be fooled by a looped ball which is exactly what happened. He did not protect his goal properly.Sorry Sutton,I always thought you were the very best,but just these lousy seconds.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Bullsh1t. Sutton didn't play badly enough to warrant a thread like this. People who jump on player hating bandwagons are the muppets.

Agree 100%, Sutton was out of position on the first goal but there was nothing he could do on the second. Peter Cech, Craig Forrest, Oliver Kahn and Edwin Van Der Sar combined couldn't have stopped that shot!!!!

Sutton was fine otherwise. I think the minor concussion didn't help.

As a goallie you always play the angles and cutting them down as much as possible. Were that ball was the angle he kept was out of reality when realizing the space behind him.If he would have been ten to fifteen feet out that ball would have never gone in and yet that would have been the proper angle.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Bullsh1t. Sutton didn't play badly enough to warrant a thread like this. People who jump on player hating bandwagons are the muppets.

I don't think all of this Sutton bashing is based solely on 1 game. His performances for Toronto FC this season have not been great and I believe he has looked shaky for Canada in the past. As a supporter, I'm not confident when he is in net.

quote:Originally posted by Javier

i ve got it from csa website

lars hirschfeld player of norway giant rosenborg...why he is not in your squad? the guy is a great goalie as i remember

regards

Lars is obviously not here since he was asked to only backup the much inferior Sutton.

quote:Originally posted by wildguy27

Lars is obviously not here since he was asked to only backup the much inferior Sutton.

That is a blatant lie. Stop posting your garbage. Lars was originally called with one of the kids as his back up. Sutton didn't come into the picture until Lars pulled out due to pressure from his club.

Stop spreading your misinformation on our forum.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

Agree 100%, Sutton was out of position on the first goal but there was nothing he could do on the second. Peter Cech, Craig Forrest, Oliver Kahn and Edwin Van Der Sar combined couldn't have stopped that shot!!!!

Sutton was fine otherwise. I think the minor concussion didn't help.

Well he didn't have anything to do otherwise, which emphasizes what a fluke result that Guadeloupe match was. But agreed, unless he didn't call for the ball, I don't think he is to blame on the first goal, and even if he didn't he is only partially to blame. Hastings should have let that run for Sutton or if he was going to head the ball, headed it back to Sutton, not to a waiting opposition player.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well he didn't have anything to do otherwise, which emphasizes what a fluke result that Guadeloupe match was. But agreed, unless he didn't call for the ball, I don't think he is to blame on the first goal, and even if he didn't he is only partially to blame. Hastings should have let that run for Sutton or if he was going to head the ball, headed it back to Sutton, not to a waiting opposition player.

Disagree, I've watched the goal a few times and and you can hear Sutton calling for it at the last second (Hastings was already in motion for the header). It was Sutton fault all the way. Decision making must be much quicker for a GK if he want his defense to react accordingly.

He also looked quite suspect on a second half Guadeloupe cross (and Forrest mentionned it) when he assumed no one would deflect the ball and was already out of position when a Guadeloupe player touched the ball. Luckily for him the ball wasn't redirected in the goal...

quote:Originally posted by loyola

He also looked quite suspect on a second half Guadeloupe cross (and Forrest mentionned it) when he assumed no one would deflect the ball and was already out of position when a Guadeloupe player touched the ball. Luckily for him the ball wasn't redirected in the goal...

That was guess work on Sutton's part. And nothing wrong with it if he guesses right.

Disagree, I've watched the goal a few times and and you can hear Sutton calling for it at the last second (Hastings was already in motion for the header).

Yeah, but unless you were on the field of play, how do you know he also didn't call for it earlier? And even then if he didn't you still have to blame Hastings for simply giving the ball away unnecessarily. That was by no means a clearing header.

Yeah, but unless you were on the field of play, how do you know he also didn't call for it earlier? And even then if he didn't you still have to blame Hastings for simply giving the ball away unnecessarily. That was by no means a clearing header.

The keeper call is clearly audible on the video and you can't hear him before (BTW, you don't make a loud "keeeeeeeeeepppppeeeeeeerrrrrr" call like that twice ;)). Hastings dealt with it the only way he could, that wasn't an easy header (maybe some midfielder should've been there too???). Anyways, Sutton decision making was poor since it was evident it wasn't his ball.

Also, Sutton look after the play seems to suggests he knows it his fault.

The keeper call is clearly audible on the video and you can't hear him before (BTW, you don't make a loud "keeeeeeeeeepppppeeeeeeerrrrrr" call like that twice ;)).

I think you would if you didn't get heard the first time. In any event, even if was at the last minute, that's still enough time for Hastings to duck his head out of the way. And again, it's by no means a clearing header.

Also, if we're going by post-goal facial expressions (which I don't think we should), Hastings looks just as guilty. At the very least he is equally to blame IMO.

I think you would if you didn't get heard the first time. In any event, even if was at the last minute, that's still enough time for Hastings to duck his head out of the way. And again, it's by no means a clearing header.

Watch the replay, Hastings is in the air (the ball 2 meters from his head) when Sutton makes the call, too late for Hastings, it's a fraction of a second. It's a classic keeper mistake to call for the ball late and confuse his defense, we were just unlucky with the resulting shot.

Looking at Onstad yesterday is just so different then looking at Sutton, much more commanding and confidence.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

That is a blatant lie. Stop posting your garbage. Lars was originally called with one of the kids as his back up. Sutton didn't come into the picture until Lars pulled out due to pressure from his club.

Stop spreading your misinformation on our forum.

http://www.rosenborg.info/article/5217

The 28-year-old would probably just become back-up for Toronto keeper Greg Sutton anyway.

Not an article written by me.

I think Sutton was to blame on the goal but neither he or Hastings looked good on the play. Contrary to what some are claiming based on this one goal, I don't think Sutton has been very mistake prone in the past. He has generally been a mediocre shot stopper who got by through making very few glaring errors. I find the goals scored on him are often not his fault but also not absolutely unstoppable either, in other words they came from a quality scoring opportunity that would require a great save that a top notch keeper might possibly make.

Onstad has been the opposite for us, great shot stopping ability and able to take the ball away from players in alone but susceptible to losses of concentration leading to soft goals. Onstad has had two very strong games in the GC so far, particularly the one against Haiti (which was pretty much error-free). While making several excellent saves against Costa Rica it should be noted that he also bobbled the ball a few times (his achilles heel) and once dropped it similar to the WCQ goal against Costa Rica though this time he recovered the ball. Yet he is playing with far more confidence than I have seen from him in the past and Sutton's confidence seems to be at a low. Sutton's lack of confidence may be due to the concussion or may have something to do with playing MLS. He went from the Impact's star player who rarely gave up a goal and almost never more than one to being an average MLS keeper/average TFC player who is often peppered with shots and has been scored on multiple times per game. If Sutton starts becoming error prone his usefullness as a keeper is over as he is not nearly the shot stopper that Hirschfeld, Onstad and even Stama are.

Since Onstad is on form at the moment and Sutton is not, Onstad is the obvious choice for starter in this tournament. For WCQ I think we need to open up the position to a free competition which was the problem last time when Onstad was gifted the job. We need to give the starting position to the keeper who is hot at the time not the keeper the coach personally likes and the coach has to be willing to change keepers if the performance is not adequate. Since our keeper depth is poor it is a good thing Onstad is back in the mix. I still want to see what Hirschfeld can do but he needs to start showing up for his callups soon. I have seen Onstad screw up so much in the past that he will probably always make me nervous when he starts for us in important games but if he shows he is the most in form keeper at the present time he should be given the job. I still think Hirsch will win the job for WCQ but Onstad should at least give us a solid backup if noone else is performing well enough.

quote:Originally posted by wildguy27

http://www.rosenborg.info/article/5217

The 28-year-old would probably just become back-up for Toronto keeper Greg Sutton anyway.

Not an article written by me.

That is a lie by Rosenborg to make it sound like they were being hard done by Lars' abscence. The fact of the matter is Lars was originally called to be the starter. Reports from Toronto suggest that Sutton was originally not even going to the Gold Cup at all. It was after Lars pulled out that Sutton was invited. That's why Brennan didn't go to the Gold Cup despite the fact that he was originally planning too. TFC couldn't afford to lose 2 key players.

Stop spreading your lies.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

That is a lie by Rosenborg to make it sound like they were being hard done by Lars' abscence. The fact of the matter is Lars was originally called to be the starter. Reports from Toronto suggest that Sutton was originally not even going to the Gold Cup at all. It was after Lars pulled out that Sutton was invited. That's why Brennan didn't go to the Gold Cup despite the fact that he was originally planning too. TFC couldn't afford to lose 2 key players.

Stop spreading your lies.

You can call it a lie if you wish, but it is a link to an official article that suggest Hirschfeld was only slated to be a backup. Can you show anything that indicates Lars was ever called to be the starter?

Archived