Gold Cup - Haiti vs. Costa Rica [R]

redhat

quote:Originally posted by redhat

In light of the importance of this game as a result of the

Guadeloupe match, right now in the 2nd half it's still 0-0.

Haiti's goalkeeper is making a lot of acrobatic saves to

frustrate the Ticos.

I know it is early, and I dont have the will to think about it now, but what would be the ideal result from this game?

quote:Originally posted by kclee

Costa Rica should beat Haiti and Gaudeloupe while we should beat Haiti. I believe that will give us first place. Ticos are up 1-0 now.

It is such a shame we never control our fate.

Guadaloupe -- 4 pts

Canada -- 3 pts

Haiti -- 2 pts

Costa Rica -- 1 pt

Costa Rica needs to win against Gaudaloupe or they will surely be finished. They need to end with 4 pts or go home.

Haiti needs a win against Canada or they will be all but finished. A tie leaves them a dismal 3rd place chance to move against one of the winners of the other two groups.

So, if Guadaloupe beats Costa Rica, they end with 7 pts and 1st place. If they tie Costa Rica, they earn 5 pts and either 1st or second place. If they lose to Costa Rica, they end with 4 pts and tie them for first place or second place.

If Canada wins against Haiti, they end with 6 pts and either 1st or 2nd place. Tie, they earn 4 pts and could be in a three-way tie for first/second place. Lose, they end with 3 pts and in 3rd or last place.

As of tonight, this is the Crazy Group.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

I think you know what I am refering to (ie. check out JPB's post). But, if you want to be a pendant, go ahead.

I don't know what you mean. Unless you just mean you are dissapointed?

I hate to be a big nerd about this, but the statement in sport "Controlling your own fate" is pretty simple to understand. And Canada still does control its own fate. If Canada wins, its in. That means it controls its own fate.

The only way this statement wouldn't be true, is in a situation where Canada would need to win but have to hope for the results of other games, which isn't the case here.

quote:Originally posted by JPB

Guadaloupe -- 4 pts

Canada -- 3 pts

Haiti -- 2 pts

Costa Rica -- 1 pt

Costa Rica needs to win against Gaudaloupe or they will surely be finished. They need to end with 4 pts or go home.

Haiti needs a win against Canada or they will be all but finished. A tie leaves them a dismal 3rd place chance to move against one of the winners of the other two groups.

So, if Guadaloupe beats Costa Rica, they end with 7 pts and 1st place. If they tie Costa Rica, they earn 5 pts and either 1st or second place. If they lose to Costa Rica, they end with 4 pts and tie them for first place or second place.

If Canada wins against Haiti, they end with 6 pts and either 1st or 2nd place. Tie, they earn 4 pts and could be in a three-way tie for first/second place. Lose, they end with 3 pts and in 3rd or last place.

As of tonight, this is the Crazy Group.

I think there are a few more permutations for the group results, but I'm too lazy to list them.

Edit: The nerd in me couldn't resist:

-CR wins, CAN wins - CAN 6, GUAD 4, CR 4, HAI 2

-CR wins, HAI wins - HAI 5, CR 4, GUAD 4, CAN 3

-CR wins, CAN-HAI tie - CAN 4, CR 4, GUAD 4, HAI 3

-GUAD wins, CAN wins - GUAD 7, CAN 6, HAI 2, CR 1

-GUAD wins, HAI wins - GUAD 7, HAI 5, CAN 3, CR 1

-GUAD wins, CAN-HAI tie - GUAD 7, CAN 4, HAI 3, CR 1

-CR-GUAD tie, CAN wins - CAN 6, GUAD 5, CR 2, HAI 2

-CR-GUAD tie, HAI wins - GUAD 5, HAI 5, CAN 3, CR 2

-CR-GUAD tie, CAN-HAI tie - GUAD 5, CAN 4, HAI 3, CR 2

Yes, I know, I have problems.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I don't know what you mean. Unless you just mean you are dissapointed?

I hate to be a big nerd about this, but the statement in sport "Controlling your own fate" is pretty simple to understand. And Canada still does control its own fate. If Canada wins, its in. That means it controls its own fate.

The only way this statement wouldn't be true, is in a situation where Canada would need to win but have to hope for the results of other games, which isn't the case here.

It was more a reflection on past performance and where I fear this one is heading. Unlikely it will result in a coin toss, but wouldn't it have been better if we had just won today and the Haiti game really didn't matter too much. If we tie or lose, who knows what will happen. You have unwavering faith, I don't.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

-CR wins, CAN-HAI tie - CAN 4, CR 4, GUAD 4, HAI 3

I think that if Costa Rica wins and has a greater goal diff then they win the group. Head to head doesn't count unless all other factors are equal...if memory serves (or was it changed recently...hmm).

I think that if Costa Rica wins and has a greater goal diff then they win the group. Head to head doesn't count unless all other factors are equal...if memory serves (or was it changed recently...hmm).

According to wikipedia, these are the tie-breakers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup

1. Greatest total goal difference in the three group matches

2. Greatest number of goals scored in the three group matches

3. If teams remained level after those criteria, a mini-group would be formed from those teams, who would be ranked on:

A. Most points earned in matches against other teams in the tie

B. Greatest goal difference in matches against other teams in the tie

C. Greatest number of goals scored in matches against other teams in the tie

Edit: I agree with you Paddy, it would have been so much better/easier had we won today. I understand your frustration, as I feel it as well.

According to wikipedia, these are the tie-breakers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup

1. Greatest total goal difference in the three group matches

2. Greatest number of goals scored in the three group matches

3. If teams remained level after those criteria, a mini-group would be formed from those teams, who would be ranked on:

A. Most points earned in matches against other teams in the tie

B. Greatest goal difference in matches against other teams in the tie

C. Greatest number of goals scored in matches against other teams in the tie

Edit: I agree with you Paddy, it would have been so much better/easier had we won today. I understand your frustration, as I feel it as well.

Haiti was very lucky to get the draw from CR, scoring on one of thier few opportunities.

CR had numerous scoring opportunities, but the ball was simply not bouncing their way. Haiti's goalie came up big on a number of occasions, similar to Canada with Guadeloupe.

Haiti's defence was wide open. Sometimes only 2 defenders back.

Haiti will have a huge home crowd and they will be pushing forward for the victory. They will be exposed at the back.

Canada can definetly take 3 points and win the group.

After the loss, this 1-1 result is the best scenario for us.

We win, we're in. First at best, if not second.

We tie, then it's based on goals for (assuming there's a tie in the goal

differential).

I'm sure our leaders (Atiba, Stalteri, De Guzman, and Derosario) will

step up and take over. As for the crowd, well, how different is that with

the first game where the crowd was pro-Tico?

Canada usually thrive as underdogs, not favourites.

Archived