Rene Simoes takes over at Coritiba FC

Posting this here because of the saga that took place over the past three months with the Canadian National Team.

On Wednesday June 6, Rene Simoes was signed as the new Coach of Coritiba FC. While having a long history in Brazilian soccer, Coritiba FC currently sits three points back of the leaders in Serie B after four games. Coritiba FC is one for three big clubs (and the oldest of the three)in Curitiba with the others being Atletico Paranaense and Parana Clube.

/www.coritiba.com.br

No, I don't think his salary would be what they were asking from the CSA but the cost of living is much lower there too. At the same time, I am fairly certain that he and his assistants were not asking for $1.5 million annually from the CSA. That number has never been confirmed.

And no, Coritiba FC may not be a glamour situation but then neither would coaching Canada be considered a glamour situation. Coritiba FC did win a Brazilian league title in 1985. They also qualified for the 2004 Copa Libertadores and the club has also won 32 state championships in its history. They were relegated in 2005 for the 2006 season. My sense is that they have hired Simoes to get them back to the top level.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Maybe he and his assistants are being paid $1.5 Million. ;)

Wow the Simoes thing feels like it happened a long time ago and is of little importance after that big win. Could it be that the CSA actually made the right choice by avoiding an overpriced Brazilian dud and going with cost effective but brilliant and passionate Canadian coaching?

Yes, whoever can bring Canada to a World Cup final may be able to translate it into something more glamorous.

As for the comment on "overpriced Brazilian dud", I guess we will never know if that is the case. As for having made a decision that gets Canada to the World Cup final, that will also be determined in time. For our sake, I hope Mitchell can pull it off.

Coritiba FC may be a decent club with history and potential but it is certainly much smaller than the offers we were led to believe he was considering if the Canada deal did not go through. Of course, releasing such rumours may have been simply a bargaining tool used by his representatives to negotiate a better deal.

Archived