MLS is ready to present 3 new expansion teams soon

The franchise fee is market driven, clearly there are enough investors willing to pay the $30 million. Raising the fee helps to regulate demand. Much like privatised healthcare 'solves the problem' of wait-lists, raise the prices enough so your facility remains busy but those who can no longer afford it go away and voila, no more wait-list.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be San Jose (currently looking at 2 stadium sites, one by the airport which looks really cool) and the other will be Philadelphia, although they'll be playing at the new SSS in NJ, just across the state line at a University I forget. Slam dunk, sure thing without question it WILL be those two teams.

Next in line will be a North West team, most likely Seattle.

Vancouver and Montreal would have NEVER been on the radar, until TFC became an overnight sensation and probably the league's most marketable team thanks to the atmosphere at BMO field.

My source works with a company that caters in product for MLS, and he confirms it will be SJ & Philly.

This just in from sports business daily, the new york mets met with mls over obtaining a new franchise in the queen's area. The mls is expecting to announce one new franchise for 2008 and two for 2009 at the allstar game.

quote:Originally posted by jasonm

This just in from sports business daily, the new york mets met with mls over obtaining a new franchise in the queen's area. The mls is expecting to announce one new franchise for 2008 and two for 2009 at the allstar game.

The New York Times had that story yesterday.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Unforunately Vancouver can't join until their stadium is confirmed to be built, and MLSE has an exclusivity clause in place until 2009 to operate an MLS team in Canada. It will hopefully be the next round of expansion that sees Vancouver join (Montreal I'm less positive about because of Saputo's ambivalence towards joining the league, but maybe that will change by 2010).

Saputo is a idiot..wahy play in a mediocre pish league when you can play in the best league in NA> maybe he hasn't got the money to buy a franchise in MLS? Vancouver? betting on around 2012-14 for that city.

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

I dont think New York is going to get another expansion team..... YET. Look for three of these five to be one of the next MLS teams

St. Louis

San Jose

San Diego

Milwaukee

Clevland

Cleveland and Milwaukee....no chance.....St Louis,San Jose, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa Bay are the main targets

for MLS.

quote:Originally posted by Mighty_TorontoFC

Saputo is a idiot..wahy play in a mediocre pish league when you can play in the best league in NA> maybe he hasn't got the money to buy a franchise in MLS? Vancouver? betting on around 2012-14 for that city.

He has the money!

db

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

MLS will not go back to Miami or Tampa Bay after contracting those teams 5 years ago.

I'm telling you, it's San Jose and Philadelphia, followed by Seattle or Portland.

Will Seattle and Portland be the Sounders and Timbers, or are these going to be different teams ?

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

I knew a guy from Quebec City who loved the Avalanche. It made me want to deport him.

With Phoenix, they haven't really had any success since they left town (even less than the Jets had when they were still in Winnipeg) which makes the whole thing a little easier to swallow. To be a Nordiques fan, and to have them leave and then win the cup a few years later (was it the next year?!) must have been gutwrenching.

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

I dont think MLS should ever go back to Miami. That is a waste of time.

Mostly agree. I got a chance to see a game at Lockhart Stadium ( Home of the MLS Miami Fusion) in Fort Lauderdale when Canada played the US in a friendly there back in 2002. I saw nothing really wrong with that stadium: not great, but OK. Its got the right capacity for MLS. But on the other hand its not easily accessible and its a fair bit inland and away from the busy area of town. Without a rental car, I dont know how we would have gotten there. Hence its very reminiscent of the problems you have getting people to got to Centennial park here in TO, except that Lockhart was located in a much more industrial area and was right next to a General aviation airport with hangars and within another.

Maybe, under the right circumstances such as a SSS in Miami. But as it stands now, why are they even talking about Miami.

PS.; FSWC reported last night that MLS are keen on a second team in New York. That is just as puzzling as talk of Miami. Right now RBNY are hardly impressive at the gates.

Here's the latest news (San Jose Mercury News ) on the San Jose Earthquakes. Based on this article, you would imagine that MLS is thinking once-or-twice whether to render an MLS franchise to San Jose

---------------------

Wolff needs OK quickly for Quakes

Article Launched: 06/20/2007 01:51:55 AM PDT

A's owner Lew Wolff said Tuesday that he'll need the green light from league officials within the next 30 days if he's going to succeed in his plans to bring Major League Soccer back to the Bay Area in 2008.

Wolff met Tuesday in New York with MLS Commissioner Don Garber and President Mark Abbott. Awarded a three-year option to revitalize the Quakes as an expansion franchise when the franchise was moved to Houston in December 2005, Wolff is asking the league to waive its requirement that any new team have a suitable home stadium.

League officials were supportive but noncommittal.

"We had a productive meeting today ... and are continuing our discussions," Abbott said in a prepared statement. "We do remain very positive about a future MLS team in the Bay Area."

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Mostly agree. I got a chance to see a game at Lockhart Stadium ( Home of the MLS Miami Fusion) in Fort Lauderdale when Canada played the US in a friendly there back in 2002. I saw nothing really wrong with that stadium: not great, but OK. Its got the right capacity for MLS. But on the other hand its not easily accessible and its a fair bit inland and away from the busy area of town. Without a rental car, I dont know how we would have gotten there. Hence its very reminiscent of the problems you have getting people to got to Centennial park here in TO, except that Lockhart was located in a much more industrial area and was right next to a General aviation airport with hangars and within another.

Maybe, under the right circumstances such as a SSS in Miami. But as it stands now, why are they even talking about Miami.

PS.; FSWC reported last night that MLS are keen on a second team in New York. That is just as puzzling as talk of Miami. Right now RBNY are hardly impressive at the gates.

Forget putting another team in New York. I say San Diego, Seattle, St. Louis would be better picks. Even New Orleans would be better.

Archived