MLS is ready to present 3 new expansion teams soon

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

I am still amazed that Kansas City still has a team. The crowds their are so god awful. KC does not deserve a team.

Kansas City don't deserve the team they do is a bit unfair they do have a loyal following and a new stadium would help the team,arroehead is not good for MLS> But can't see the team moving they have solid owners and the MLS want a stable market place for there teams.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I've mentioned on a previous post, TFC should be rethinking it's exclusivity rights for MLS in Canada. I'd rather see Vancouver and Montreal have new franchises in the league as opposed to a smaller and less-promising market in the United States. I think the best course of action would be to bring the current Impact and Whitecap teams up to the level of MLS.

As I've mentioned on a previous post, TFC should be rethinking it's exclusivity rights for MLS in Canada. I'd rather see Vancouver and Montreal have new franchises in the league as opposed to a smaller and less-promising market in the United States. I think the best course of action would be to bring the current Impact and Whitecap teams up to the level of MLS.

I just did a Google News search on MLS Expansion and the top story....Las Vegas!!??

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/sports/2007/jun/09/566683114.html

next San Jose

Then Portland or Seattle depending on stadium deal.

USL-1 will be in a little trouble if both Seattle and Portland make the jump. USL likes to have those travel partners (see El Paso and Edmonton)

What ever happened to Rochester? Not on the map any more? I agree something need to happen in Florida. Maybe another Mexico mini club or may the Cuban National team.

Expansion doesn't seem to depend on the fans anymore...just if the owner has the money!

Doesnt this whole Kansas City expansion or Las Vegas expansion (instead of a Canadian expansion) errily remind us of Gary Betman and the NHL?......

yeah...

Anyway... Having been to several Montreal Impact games, I say montreal has got to be a forsure... Mafia boss Saputo is too cheap to pay for it...common! WHY SETTLE FOR 2nd TIER USL?!?!?!

I think the only rival Toronto FC has so far is Chicago Fire (Remember Dichio's red card?)

Vancouver I`m actually more skeptical of. The demographics are different, Toronto has the best soccar fans in Canada cuz of our LARGE Diverse population from Soccar crazy nations (Europe, Latin America, Africa etc...) that Vancouver just doesnt have.

Montreal has this population, albeit smaller that Toronto, but still strong enough. I am not sure if Vancouver would embrace it. I am absolutely sure, most Asian immigrants would choose Football (Euro) over any other sport, but are they fanatics? I dont think so (based on my own experience, my parents immigrated from Asia)

Just go to a MIGHTY T-F-C GAME, keeping in mind Toronto's diversity from all continents in the world, Asian (Orientals\South East\South Asians included), you`ll definetely see a strong Euro\Latino\African community in the stands. Whereas Asians are the largest minority group in Toronot, Asian T-F-C fans represent only about 3-5% of fans at BMO Field.

Kenyam, if you don't think Vancouver fans would embrace MLS then I guess you don't remember much about the Whitecaps back in the NASL days in the 80's.. They had one of the better attendance figures in the league. From late 70's to to 1984 they averaged over 23,000 fans a game including 27,000 per game in 1979 and 29,000 per game in 1983. Just cause there is more Asians living in Vancouver now, it's not gonna stop passionate soccer fans from attending games. You put that new stadium down there on the water and that place will have no problem filling up, especially with solid ownership they have with Kerfoot.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Kenyam obviously doesn't have a clue regarding Vancouvers soccer history or Vancouver's demographics.

I would also argue that he doesn't know much about TFC fans either.

I have been to the bars with both supporters groups and surveyed the crowd. It is not an Afro/Latino festival.

Far from it. First and second generation Euros I will buy.

You don't hear the accents and languages in the stadium that one hears on the streets of Toronto.

I think Montreal will embrace The MLS and also Vancouver too. Montreal has some solid ownership in Saputo, and a new Stadium on the Horizon. maybe Mr Goerge Gillette should put his nose in there. maybe have an affiliation with Liverpool. might work. I remember Vancouver had great supprt for the Whitecaps in the 70s and Early 80s and when the 86ers were in in the old CSL they seem to pack in Swangard Stadium so it could work.

Guest speedmonk42

Both Montreal and Vancouver would be successful.

They would be different, but successful.

We would need players...but if you build it, they will come.....

It now appears that MLS Commissioner Don Garber is expected to make an announcement very soon with regards to the state of the San Jose Earthquakes. Yesterday, San Jose City Council has voted unanimously in favour of building the 25,000 seat soccer stadium.

According to the San Jose Mercury news, the new Earthquakes owners Lewis Wolff and John Fisher are flying to New-York next week to meet with Garber and presumably ask that the Quakes be reinstated immediately. During their presentation to the council it was explicitly stated that the Quakes would begin play again in 2008 with the planned stadium construction being completed in time for the 2010 season.

I'm pretty sure you'll see an MLS team in Vancouver within 5 years Beaches. Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot is no dummy, I'm willing to bet he had a conversation or two with the MLS brass before he privately funds his own soccer specific stadium. And as long as former Grizzly GM Stu Jackson doesn't run the team (single handedly ran the Grizz into the ground), they should be alright

I used to think Vancouver was on more solid ground than the Impact were in terms of franchise viability for the MLS, but I'm starting to think we'll see Montreal enter the league before they do. I'd REALLY like to see both teams come in at once, though. It'd be great to see just a huge exposure for soccer in Canada happen with two teams coming into the league. Imagine the roadtrips!

quote:Originally posted by Stephen LaRose

I wonder just how much pull TFC really has with MLS. If I were them, I'd want to start thinking about some medium-range plans for a Canadian division in MLS.

you are kidding, right????

a Canadian division? Please lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. Remember, MLS is a US league and TFC got a special waiver from FIFA to play in it. I am sure FIFA would do the same for Montreal and Vancouver. However, if you wanted 6-7 teams in a Canadian division, FIFA might start to ask questions like...why don't you form your own league.

MLS was formed with the mission statement to develop AMERICAN soccer. TFC has been a breath of fresh air for MLS but lets not start drinking the koolaid and believing that our club has all that much pull at head office. Adding one or two more Canadian clubs might happen, stadiums willing, early in the next decade (which is not that far away in real terms). MLS is going to continue to try to develop appropriate US markets because this will help them with their TV partners and their corporate sponsors (who are, by and large, American companies or the US branch offices of international companies). Adding more Canadian teams, while likely very good for the average attendance figures the league puts out, will do nothing to help ESPN or the spanish language channels sell more advertising. That's why Canadian clubs will be added as the league tries to grow to 18-20 teams, not when its trying to grow from 13 to 16 teams.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

you are kidding, right????

a Canadian division? Please lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. Remember, MLS is a US league and TFC got a special waiver from FIFA to play in it. I am sure FIFA would do the same for Montreal and Vancouver. However, if you wanted 6-7 teams in a Canadian division, FIFA might start to ask questions like...why don't you form your own league.

MLS was formed with the mission statement to develop AMERICAN soccer. TFC has been a breath of fresh air for MLS but lets not start drinking the koolaid and believing that our club has all that much pull at head office. Adding one or two more Canadian clubs might happen, stadiums willing, early in the next decade (which is not that far away in real terms). MLS is going to continue to try to develop appropriate US markets because this will help them with their TV partners and their corporate sponsors (who are, by and large, American companies or the US branch offices of international companies). Adding more Canadian teams, while likely very good for the average attendance figures the league puts out, will do nothing to help ESPN or the spanish language channels sell more advertising. That's why Canadian clubs will be added as the league tries to grow to 18-20 teams, not when its trying to grow from 13 to 16 teams.

Very true. Lots of people have lost lots of money trying to promote soccer in this country. But it just depresses my Saskatchewan soul to see Toronto have all the fun ...

quote:Originally posted by Stephen LaRose

Very true. Lots of people have lost lots of money trying to promote soccer in this country. But it just depresses my Saskatchewan soul to see Toronto have all the fun ...

I feel for you man...as a TFC season ticket holder, I feel like the kid who got everything he wanted for christmas for 5 years in a row. All this live soccer this summer has me spoiled rotten.

Las Vegas sent a proposal to MLS about a month ago. They have plans to buid a 100 million retractable roof and pay an expansion fee of $30 million dollars. They gave MLS a deadline of June 2. MLS said they would not be pressured or rush a decision.

Sorry but for a league that has not made a dollar has to be joking about charging 30 million plus must have a soccer specific stadium. I doubt Montreal or Vancouver would jump on board at that cost.

I think a big thing with the franchise cost is that due to the single entity nature of the league they want to make sure they've got serious partners on board that can afford to absorb losses that the rest of the owners have endured for the past 10 years. Might also be that they think they are about to turn a corner in terms of profitability and the fee is escalting to ensure new owner's buying in are paying for the privilege of possible revenue sharing.

If Vancouver does get an MLS team it has to be named the Whitecaps - just seems like the vibe is that Portland or Seattle are a much more preferred by the league and most supporters. If Vancouver can actually get construction started on their stadium I'd figure they're a lock once it's complete.

quote:Originally posted by jasonm

Las Vegas sent a proposal to MLS about a month ago. They have plans to buid a 100 million retractable roof and pay an expansion fee of $30 million dollars. They gave MLS a deadline of June 2. MLS said they would not be pressured or rush a decision.

Sorry but for a league that has not made a dollar has to be joking about charging 30 million plus must have a soccer specific stadium. I doubt Montreal or Vancouver would jump on board at that cost.

Loads of league sponsorship on board right now so I don't expect that there will be any cash calls by the league in the same way as has occurred in the past. And I also expect that franchise owners will continue to get more liberties in the operating of their franchises with each passing season which will of course, liven things up for those who're willing to spend a little more.

League has to guard itself against that "over spending" boogey-man and I sure they will but you can only out grow that small time label by out-growing the small time label if you follow me. And some of these new owners in MLS seem to want to, and have the monetary means to, out-grow the small time label.

Archived