Sportsnet announced the score before broadcast!

Paddy

Guest speedmonk42

You have to believe me that I am totally serious I won't even let people turn the TV ON for a tape delay game until I am certain it has started.

This is not the first time.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

You have to believe me that I am totally serious I won't even let people turn the TV ON for a tape delay game until I am certain it has started.

But if you also wanted to see the TFC game, then you get screwed.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Someone enlighten me as to what happened. Was it just a brief video blip that gave away the score? Or did Gerry/Craig mention the score out loud? What happened?

I believe they showed the last few minutes of the game.

Edit:

quote:I was watching the TFC game on Sportsnet East and then with about 2 minutes to go, they switched to the Canada game as the game was ending.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Someone enlighten me as to what happened. Was it just a brief video blip that gave away the score? Or did Gerry/Craig mention the score out loud? What happened?

They showed the last few minutes...which I missed. Then they announce the score as they showed a graphic of our groups table. I mean they really went all out to make sure no one could possibly miss it.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

They showed the last few minutes...which I missed. Then they announce the score as they showed a graphic of our groups table. I mean they really went all out to make sure no one could possibly miss it.

The Canada match was live on their digital channels so they probably switched over that that feed after TFC ended, thus getting the tail end of the live broadcast.

I'm glad I started my recording right at 9pm or I'd be in the same boat.

quote:Originally posted by Splaty

The Canada match was live on their digital channels so they probably switched over that that feed after TFC ended, thus getting the tail end of the live broadcast.

I'm glad I started my recording right at 9pm or I'd be in the same boat.

The worst thing is that the TFC match was'nt even finished when they switched... it was in the 93th minute.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I still don't remember watching the Toronto game and having it switched over in injury time to the Canada game. I saw the final whistle of the Toronto game, commercial, and then Gerry and Craig showed the highlights of the Toronto game.

For what it is worth, I did e-mail Sportsnet yesterday afternoon asking them not to show any spoilers etc...

Maybe they just like screwing with the west coast.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

For what it is worth, I did e-mail Sportsnet yesterday afternoon asking them not to show any spoilers etc...

Maybe they changed the signal specifically so only your TV wouldn't get it? ;)

I can atest to the fact that I watched the TFC match and the Canada one on SportsNet West and there was no problem with the switchover either.

However, I too, am a bit paranoid, so I taped the TFC match, turned my TV on without looking at it, just long enough to figure out that it was still the TFC game... turned it back off and came back in 5 minutes, and repeated the process. After the Canada game I went back and watched the TFC match and kept watching to see if I'd missed anything important in the first 3 minutes of the Canada broadcast.

No mistaken switch over though.

I listened to a CD in the car on the way back from my son's soccer game then simply set the PVR, 2 vcrs and asked my 8 year old to sit in front of the tv and let me know when there was Canadian soccer players on the tv. Never answered the phone that rang and rang (got crap from the wife when she got home as it was her...)The little guy then called me down at 21:03 and watched in amazement till the end. We</u> meaning his older brother and I as he only got to watched the 1st half as it was a "special Night" Team Canada on TV. I know it's been said but, Wow, what a game.

Isn't it sad listening to all these stories of suspicion and internal control just not to find out the score of a match of national importance?

Why should we have to take all these procautions?

The CBC does a 100% better job broadcasting football. Yesterday's TFC match confirms it for me. Sportsnet are half-arsed to the end.

And just to pile on the gang tackle SportsNet is suffering under right now, for those who tune in Saturday mornings to EPL football, SportsNet does a very good job of sheilding the result of their 11:30 broadcast. Give you every result under the sun except that late match.

Archived