Marcel De Jong

mausi

quote:Originally posted by gator

Marcel de Jong has decided he wants to play for Holland, even though he has already played for Canada at the under 20 level! If i'm not mistaken he is still eligible to play for the under 20's!

He hasn't decided on the former, and you are mistaken about the latter - he's too old.

No, my mistake, I thought he was still eligible for Mitchells' side! This is a situation different from OH and JDG, he is dutch I believe although he has played for canada, wish he would get on board! I'm not sure how far he will go, if anywhere with the dutch national team! I really don't like it that he can change nations after playing for canada in an u20 tournament!

quote:Originally posted by gator

No, my mistake, I thought he was still eligible for Mitchells' side! This is a situation different from OH and JDG, he is dutch I believe although he has played for canada, wish he would get on board! I'm not sure how far he will go, if anywhere with the dutch national team! I really don't like it that he can change nations after playing for canada in an u20 tournament!

I think in a few years he'll realize that there is no place for a player of his calibre on the Dutch side (hopefully he isn't capped before then) and perhaps he'll decide to choose to play for Canada. I can't fault him for either decision, though, because he is as Dutch as Owen and JdG are Canadian (that is to say, entirely, no matter how they might feel).

If DeJong wants to play for Holland, he has to gets the paperworks sent to FIFA by his 21 st birthday. Basically, I think he has to renounce to Canada before his 21st birthday, so even if he never plays for Holland he won't be eligible for Canada after the paperworks has been submitted. That's how the rule was explained to me.

No player should be able to play for one country in a tournament the size of the FIFA U20 Championships and then be able to play for another country. it's a joke that players can do that.

With regards to DeJong, sure, the kid is mostly dutch and I know where he's coming from, but I think stuff like this makes Fifa look bad. Not that they have ever protected smaller football nations from being picked dry by large football nations.

• 1 year later...

Just rewatching the Brazil game and wondering what people think the longterm outlook is for De Jong with Canada. He seems smaller than the 175 he's listed at and doesnt seem like an obvious immediate upgrade over Klukowski at LB or anybody at LM/Wing. Is he maybe chasing the mix Nakajima/Brennan/Simpson and offering similar skills to the Nats, given he has pretty good wheels and solid basic skills (passing, positioning, etc)? Does he make a healthy 18-man roster for the second round, or is he more a roster fill-in/future prospect?

I've been quite impressed by the little I've seen from De Jong.

Considering his youth he offers a much more long-term option at LB/LM than Jazic and Brennan.

He is an excellent crosser of the ball and with his pace I think he may offer our best cover for DeRosario on the left wing.

I don't know where this Holland info has emerged from. His father posted on the board a while ago stating how excited Marcel was to play for Canada.

He is already getting regular minutes and taking set-piecies in the Eiredevisie so the future is bright.

I want him in the 18 man squad come WCQ.

Hard to say: with the team having been together for an extended period I'm was hoping that DM might have had a look at him in the central d-mid role, which he seemed to play as a sub for the South Africa match. Yes, I realize that he's used exclusively as a left flank player at club level, but he looks like a guy with the robust physical tools to be a good shield in front of the back four and I think he would win more than his fair share of 50/50 challenges. That said, DM moved Klukowski into that position for the second half against Panama and kept De Jong out left. Too bad, because I think that physical element would be nice to have in our central midfield.

For two years straight on Football Manager Marcel has been a really good player, BUT he is listed as central mid? He doesnt play left wing or left back in the game. I know its a game but, has he played central mid for his club a lot in real life?

He looks really good from highlights I have seen and the Brazil game where he made an instant impact. De Rosario at the moment is playing his club role for us, central attacking mid. Our wingers are Issey and Radz, I think De Jong could be used as a super sub for Radz as he is older and may wear out quicker.

Really excited to have him on board with Canada and he makes any full squad 18 for me over Brennan

• 9 years later...
59 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I've always found it odd that the "would be" and "should be" players have pages after page of discussion, yet the stalwarts barely get a post.

Thanks for the dedication, Marcel...

Cause it's more exciting to rumble about what could be, than about what is...

• 2 weeks later...

Article in Toronto Star on Marcel

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2018/05/25/whitecaps-defender-marcel-de-jong-reconnected-with-canada-to-boost-his-soccer-career.html

Interesting that Robinson feels  De Jong needs to believe in himself given that the man started consistently in the Eredivisie and Bundesliga. Having said that, Marcel has rarely, in my opinion, looked like a player that played at the highest level in B1 when he has played for the CMNT. He is excellent going forward, crossing and has a laser foot, but defensively his tackling is really suspect. His  lack of speed is also a concern defending quick Concacaf wingers.

Archived