Onstad added to the GC roster

loyola

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Wait...is Hart really George Bush junior and and Yallop is Bush senior? This is the only way to understand the Onstad call up. Yallop is stil running the (cancelled on Broadway) show!

On a short notice like that might have been tough to call another keeper (considering Lars has already refused...). This call-up is so easy to understand, it's a joke. Hart is serious about the GC and didn't want to have a weak cover for Sutton, simple as that.

Have to agree with loyola entirely. As much as I am not an Onstad fan these days, he's as solid an option for back-up that we have right now given the time frame. I'm comfortable knowing he's on the bench only a "Sutton's down after that boot to the head!" call away from playing.

And bully for him for answering the call. He's as much as retired himself from international football barring of course emergencies like this one. And at his age he really isn't in as strong a position as he may have once been to make these sort of demands on his club.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

And bully for him for answering the call. He's as much as retired himself from international football barring of course emergencies like this one. And at his age he really isn't in as strong a position as he may have once been to make these sort of demands on his club.

Well if it is true that he is only coming for one game because of the fact that he has a red card, then it is not that much of a risk for him. If he comes for the whole thing, then I agree with you.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

On a short notice like that might have been tough to call another keeper (considering Lars has already refused...). This call-up is so easy to understand, it's a joke. Hart is serious about the GC and didn't want to have a weak cover for Sutton, simple as that.

As far as I am concerned, Onstad IS a weak cover. Might as well put a big wooden crucifix in net.

As far as I am concerned, Onstad IS a weak cover. Might as well put a big wooden crucifix in net.

He may be weak cover, but he is an MLS champion and Giacomi seemed to let in 4 or 5 goals every game he played in Belgium.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

He may be weak cover, but he is an MLS champion and Giacomi seemed to let in 4 or 5 goals every game he played in Belgium.

Anyone who've followed a little bit of MLS over the past years while watching Sutton with MTL will tell you that Onstad is a much better keeper than Sutton at the moment. But the problem of certain poster when they evaluate a player abilities is they're making their analysis based on games that happenned 3-4-5-6 years ago.

Onstad isn't great, but he's still a very capable keeper (his MLS resumé speaks for himself).

His MLS champion status has never translated to Canada. I'd rather develope new talent. Not like we have put so much into this tournament that we should be worried about it now.

Ok, but at least he would starts because Sutton is injured. That sounds better.

But the situation isn't really clear since the article suggest that Canada will be left with only one keeper with Onstad leaving after the CR game. Or Wagenaar is still with the team?

Yes, I'm puzzled about that myself. But then I'm puzzled as to how we called him up to begin with given that he was never on any roster we had announced before the deadline. It suggests that the rules on roster call ups are somewhat flexible.

Just heard on the radio that Sutton (thank god) is starting.

I hoenstly dont understand the anti-onstad comments. he was not great in the last WCQ but he's been outstanding in MLS, better than Sutton and goaltenders often play excellently even at an advanced age. He appears to be a much more assured goalkeeper these days (Success will do that for a player) and I honestly would be happy to see him start for one of the three GC games. Sutton is not bad and has been solid most of the time for TFC but Onstad is no worse than equal to Sutton at this time in their respective careers.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

he was not great in the last WCQ but he's been outstanding in MLS

Always been his problem. Don't know why, but his positional sense for Canada has always seemed off - I just have to shake my head sometimes and wonder what the hell he is doing. I could care less about his MLS career, I am concerned about the Canadian team.

meh - it's about the future...that's why many didn't want to see Nash even though he has also contributed a lot before and also can obviously still play...we should be bleeding the next WCQ squad for this tourney and looking towards the future (whenever possible)

quote:Originally posted by nolando

meh - it's about the future...that's why many didn't want to see Nash even though he has also contributed a lot before and also can obviously still play...we should be bleeding the next WCQ squad for this tourney and looking towards the future (whenever possible)

Well, it's clear to me that Hart intention was the future with Wagenaar selection. But with a last minute injury like that I think the coach has to take the first decent keeper he can find.

BTW, base on current form in their respective leagues I think Onstad has a lot more chances than Giacomi to be call come 2008 if another goalkeeping crisis should happen during WCQ.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I hoenstly dont understand the anti-onstad comments. he was not great in the last WCQ but he's been outstanding in MLS, better than Sutton and goaltenders often play excellently even at an advanced age. He appears to be a much more assured goalkeeper these days (Success will do that for a player) and I honestly would be happy to see him start for one of the three GC games. Sutton is not bad and has been solid most of the time for TFC but Onstad is no worse than equal to Sutton at this time in their respective careers.

I've got to say that I agree, I'm not a big fan of Onstad's, thought that lars should have been the starter last qualifying go around but come on, if its a choice between Onstad or Giacomi then I'll take Onstad in a heartbeat. Sutton has a concussion, lars said no, Wagenaar is injured that leaves Giacomi, Kenny or Onstad, is it really that difficult a choice? You can talk of giving experience for the future, but Giacomi's future is too far away to be starting for the men's National team, both Kenny and Onstad are the past but Onstad gets it on recent form and availability.

I think Onstad has been better in MLS so far than Sutton who in my opinion has proven he is an MLS level keeper with TFC but only an average one. However, at the international level Sutton has been better probably because he is less mistake prone than Onstad. I also don't have a problem with Onstad being called given the alternatives and possibly even starting one of the games against a weaker opponent just because our keeper depth is not great and you never know when he could be needed in the future. I think both Lars and Kenny were in similar situations in which it was not convenient for their club careers to be called. Lars because his team is playing far under expectations and Kenny because after years of being a backup he is finally a starting keeper in the Norwegian top flight and is playing well. In the long term national team interest it is more important both of them keep their starting jobs at the moment but once Mitchell takes over they will have to respond to some callups if they want to remain in the picture. It should be easier at that time though because the Gold Cup has the potential of keeping them away from their clubs for an extended period which shouldn't be a problem for friendlies. I have never been a fan of Onstad as a keeper but he has always seemed like a quality individual and good on him for accepting the call.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

i think this is a good sign. hart wanting a proven goalie to back up sutton over a kid who would be torn apart if he for some reason had to see action leads me to believe that hart is actually interested in making a serious run in this tourney.

Will Hart use Onstad as the back-up or will Sutton be the back-up? Now that Onstad is participating, he should get the start because he's better than Sutton. I trust the CSA are Hart are out to win.

Always been his problem. Don't know why, but his positional sense for Canada has always seemed off - I just have to shake my head sometimes and wonder what the hell he is doing. I could care less about his MLS career, I am concerned about the Canadian team.

I agree, Paddy, that Onstad has not performed well for Canada. But has Sutton really turned any heads? Against the same level of competition, this season, I'd say Onstad has outperformed Sutton.

I'm not saying that Onstad should start ahead of Sutton (too long in the tooth to be a factor for 2010), but I don't think Sutton is the man for Canada either. The sad truth is until Lars decides he actually cares enough to come play, we are in sad shape in goal.

I agree, Paddy, that Onstad has not performed well for Canada. But has Sutton really turned any heads? Against the same level of competition, this season, I'd say Onstad has outperformed Sutton.

I'm not saying that Onstad should start ahead of Sutton (too long in the tooth to be a factor for 2010), but I don't think Sutton is the man for Canada either. The sad truth is until Lars decides he actually cares enough to come play, we are in sad shape in goal.

I don't think getting Lars out for qualifying will be a problem. I'm also hopeful that Begovic will have a great tourney and push James for a couple starts at Portsmouth and push Lars for Canada. He already appears to be the Portsmouth reserve keeper of choice which, given his age, bodes very well for Canada's future. Since Forrest, Lars is the only other keeper to have come close to playing at an elite level at such a young age -and even then I think he was still in Calgary when he was 20.

If there is no one else to call then of course it is a no brainer...why even mention it. That said, I still would rather him not play/start. The is a difference between availability and ability. I hope if he plays that we aren't just left talking about his great availability. :(

Archived