Onstad added to the GC roster

loyola

Men's National Team

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Onstad added to Canadian roster for CONCACAF Gold Cup

OTTAWA (ONTARIO) – The Canadian Soccer Association announced today that goalkeeper Pat Onstad has joined the Canadian men's national team before the CONCACAF Gold Cup. Onstad replaces Joshua Wagenaar who is unable to participate because of his back injury.

Onstad is a veteran of 46 senior caps and 11 youth caps with the Canadian team. He currently plays for Major League Soccer's defending champions Houston Dynamo. At age 39, Onstad is the oldest active player in the MLS. After starring with Canada's youth team in 1986-87 (they won the 1986 CONCACAF U-19 qualification championship), he made his full senior-team debut at age 20 against Bermuda on 18 February 1988. Onstad is the second Houston player on Canada's lineup, joining midfielder Dwayne De Rosario. Onstad joins goalkeeper Greg Sutton on the active roster.

Canada opens the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup on Wednesday 6 June against Costa Rica in Miami, FL. The match will be broadcast on Rogers Sportsnet at 18.00 PT / 20.00 MT / 21.00 ET / 22.00 AT. Canada's other opening-round matches are 9 June against Guadeloupe and 11 June against Haiti.

From the tournament’s 16-year history (eight finals), Canada were Gold Cup champions in 2000. The 2007 tournament will feature the biggest prize pool ever after CONCACAF announced that prizes more than doubled for all winners and qualifiers in the 12-team tournament. 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup tickets (single tickets and ticket packages) can be purchased by calling 212.203.0678.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by jonovision

We want Carlo!

Phew.. Good thing I finished eating.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I didn't even think this was possible.....wasn't Giacomi supposed to be the reserve keeper?

Indeed, it's a bit weird to see that they can call Onstad like that and to have him move over Giacomi....

But I prefer to see Onstad as a back up then Giacomi. Well, if it was only a question of result, I would start Onstad over Sutton....but it,s a question of preparing the team for 2010....

i think this is a good sign. hart wanting a proven goalie to back up sutton over a kid who would be torn apart if he for some reason had to see action leads me to believe that hart is actually interested in making a serious run in this tourney.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Would've been better with Giacomi?

Wow...I can't win.

I don't like Onstad, never have. I thought he has always sucked when playing for Canada. I hope is stays on the bench.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Wow...I can't win.

I don't like Onstad, never have. I thought he has always sucked when playing for Canada. I hope is stays on the bench.

Completely agreed. Nothing good has come for Canada when Onstad steps on the field. As long as he rides the pine I don't care. I'd rather see one of the U-20 keepers get a shot on the field rather than Onstad. (But it doesn't make sense to call one of the U-20 players to ride the pine)

Gold Cup starts tomorrow, so I think that Onstad is as good a choice of any. I will be pissed if he starts anything more than a throw away match in the tourney, but as a back-up I can live with it. Should Sutton get hurt, I do think we need a quality back-up and I can't think of a better option readily available at the moment. I am not an Onstad fan as many can attest, but he is still amongst our top 4 or 5 keepers.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Gold Cup starts tomorrow, so I think that Onstad is as good a choice of any. I will be pissed if he starts anything more than a throw away match in the tourney, but as a back-up I can live with it. Should Sutton get hurt, I do think we need a quality back-up and I can't think of a better option readily available at the moment. I am not an Onstad fan as many can attest, but he is still amongst our top 4 or 5 keepers.

That was pretty much my point. We need a good back up and Onstad is the only one that can provide security at this point.

But I have to say that after watching some MLS games this year that Onstad looks better than Sutton, that's clear to me.

Read the Houston supporters thread at bigsoccer, they seem to think that Onstead is going for wednesdays' game(apparantly he is suspeded as a result of a red card in their last game) only. There is a link to a newspaper article where the Houston coach expects him back for sunday' game (he'll miss thursdays' match). That doesn't make too much sense, does Hart expect Wagenaar to recover that quickly, or are they going to bring in Begovic or Giacomi for the rest of the tournament?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sport/soc/4863265.html

Archived