An open letter to the CSA

Richard

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Regs

Read the whole document. Hooper (or was it Latham) specifically apologised in one of the emails for the cost of the ticket and such. Am I interpreting that wrongly?

In any event, I thought this whole gender equity thing WASN'T about money?

I get the feeling that some would complain they got $100 in $20 bills while the men got a crisp $100 bill.

Good one, and I agree :-)

Now we all get to create the budget for the CSA for the last 3 years.

Clearly this is unacceptable.

Coach Rich although I appreciate your logic in compiling some clearly conflicting information from the CSA the bottom line is it doesn't matter now what the CSA presents as a budget if they ever do.

This is not acceptable, this is not transparent, this is not ethical and this represents horrible incompetency and deception.

Fan, I've tried to point how the WNT feel about their present $ situation of which the WNT has been interviewed on & stated how they feel.

The lack of CSA Financials are as you write but as I would say to anyone here, what action have they taken to find out why they are not open to the members. Has anyone here Emailed their PSO or CSA & etc. We can discuss things here but I prefer to take action & ask them as it's not acceptable as you say..............

Right CoachRich, I know I have written and spoken to all the appropriate people but have never been handed a budget or told how to acquire one. The point is the CSA doesnt deserve anymore questioning if there is a process legal or other wise they should be removed for this whether they provide one now or not. It has happened in other leagues.

I'm still working my contacts even though CSA has said to wait after the U20's. Hopefully, I will be able to talk to someone on the BOD shortly.

The problem is a disconnect that is from top to bottom in the soccer community. It's not an excuse to show transparency on the CSA part but old established groups take time to change & don't understand what the members want. Sometimes changes take place from having the grassroots speaking up in all the right places.

In the end if you are still not happy follow what others have said & take legal action.

$40,000 a year, subsidised accomodation, residency camps, trips all over the planet. NCAA educations costing more than $25,000. a year (something that is harder if not impossible for male soccer players to get).

Getting paid to play a game. Public recognition enhancing career opportunities. Resume entry guaranteed to impress any employer or business partner. Love of the game. Teammates. The kicker, an all expenses paid trip to the Olympics!

What are we complaining about again?

quote:Originally posted by CG

$40,000 a year, subsidised accomodation, residency camps, trips all over the planet. NCAA educations costing more than $25,000. a year (something that is harder if not impossible for male soccer players to get).

Getting paid to play a game. Public recognition enhancing career opportunities. Resume entry guaranteed to impress any employer or business partner. Love of the game. Teammates. The kicker, an all expenses paid trip to the Olympics!

I think you may have forgotten, business contacts, endorsements, clothing, special diets and paid sightseeing tours.

quote:Originally posted by CG

Amen Brother!

Amen!

Decades of blood, sweat and tears in attempting to get equal opportunity and professionalize women's soccer, and a long way to go yet and still people are willing to park the bus.

CG, would you perhaps have a reason to publicly support the women's program?

"CG, would you perhaps have a reason to publicly support the women's program?"

Other than the fact that I am the father of a young lady who shall remain nameless, who was once carded, no. My reason for publicly supporting the program is that it is an extraordinary opportunity, and a priviledge for women to be supported to play soccer at a high level. Nothing else.Not a member of the CSA, though I have coached hockey, baseball, basketball and a young mixed team of 9 year olds in soccer a long time ago. I stepped aside and let more competant coaches take over since I had never played and new very little about the game.

Fair enough, I'll back off in that case.

Pretty much everyone has commented on men's and women's friendlies. Here's the 2007 schedules for most of the top women's countries. No qualifying tournaments in here. Just pure friendlies.

CANADIAN WOMEN

5/3 China

5/6 China

5/12 USA

6/3 New Zealand

6/6 New Zealand

CANADIAN MEN

3/25 Bermuda

6/1 Venezuela

6/16 Guatemela

6/21 USA

8/22 Iceland

9/12 Costa Rica

US WOMEN

1/26 Germany

1/28 England

1/30 China

3/7 China

3/9 Finland

3/12 Sweden

3/14 Denmark

4/14 Mexico

5/12 Canada

6/16 China

7/14 Norway

7/28 Japan

8/12 New Zealand

8/25 Finland

US MEN

1/20 Denmark

2/7 Mexico

3/25 Ecuador

3/28 Guatemala

6/2 China

7/2 Paraguay

7/5 Colombia

8/22 Sweden

10/14 Catalonia

10/17 Switzerland

GERMANY WOMEN

1/26 USA

1/28 China

1/30 England

3/7 Norway

3/9 France

3/12 Denmark

3/14 Italy

4/12 Netherlands

5/10 Wales

7/29 Denmark

8/2 Czech Republic

8/22 Switzerland

8/30 Norway

GERMANY MEN

2/7 Switzerland

3/24 Czech Republic

3/28 Denmark

NORWAY WOMEN

2/9 Japan

3/7 Germany

3/9 Denmark

3/12 France

3/15 Finland

5/31 Finland

7/14 USA

8/30 Germany

NORWAY MEN

2/7 Croatia

ENGLAND WOMEN

1/26 China

1/28 USA

1/30 Germany

3/8 Russia

3/11 Scotland

3/14 Netherlands

5/17 Iceland

ENGLAND MEN

2/7 Spain

6/1 Brazil

FRANCE WOMEN

2/28 China

3/7 Denmark

3/9 Germany

3/12 Norway

3/14 Sweden

10/1 France

FRANCE MEN

2/7 Argentina

8/22 Slovakia

11/17 Morocco

SWEDEN WOMEN

2/12 Japan

2/17 Scotland

3/7 Finland

3/9 China

3/12 USA

3/14 France

SWEDEN MEN

1/14 Venezuela

1/18 Ecuador

1/21 Ecuador

2/7 Egypt

8/22 USA

DENMARK WOMEN

3/7 France

3/9 Norway

3/12 Germany

3/14 USA

5/6 Czech Republic

7/29 Germany

8/30 Sweden

DENMARK MEN

2/6 Australia

3/28 Germany

8/22 Ireland

SCOTLAND WOMEN

2/14 Japan

2/17 Sweden

3/11 England

4/6 Italy

8/26 Belgium

9/26 Finland

9/29 FInland

SCOTLAND MEN

BRAZIL WOMEN

6/23 USA

BRAZIL MEN

2/6 Portugal

3/24 Chile

3/27 Ghana

6/1 England

6/5 Turkey

JAPAN WOMEN

2/9 Norway

2/12 Sweden

2/14 Scotland

7/28 USA

JAPAN MEN

3/24 Peru

6/1 Montenegro

6/5 Colombia

8/22 Cameroon

9/7 Austria

9/11 Switzerland

10/17 Egypt

"CBC World Report" interview of the WNT on Gender Equity last week that aired today.

NOTE it segement changes each day so it's only there today unless someone wants to host the mp3 file I have!!!!

It has Carrie Serwetnyk WNT Alumni, Amy Walsh WNT Player Rep & Colin Linford. Lindford's comments are out of touch of today's times & reality.

CBC World Report at http://www.cbc.ca/worldreport/audio.html w/ the interview starting 10:15 minutes in.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Fair enough, I'll back off in that case.

Pretty much everyone has commented on men's and women's friendlies. Here's the 2007 schedules for most of the top women's countries. No qualifying tournaments in here. Just pure friendlies.

CANADIAN WOMEN

5/3 China

5/6 China

5/12 USA

6/3 New Zealand

6/6 New Zealand

CANADIAN MEN

3/25 Bermuda

6/1 Venezuela

6/16 Guatemela

6/21 USA

8/22 Iceland

9/12 Costa Rica

Pretty hard to take you seriously when you can't even get your own country's schedule right.

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

"CBC World Report" interview of the WNT on Gender Equity last week that aired today.

NOTE it segement changes each day so it's only there today unless someone wants to host the mp3 file I have!!!!

It has Carrie Serwetnyk WNT Alumni, Amy Walsh WNT Player Rep & Colin Linford. Lindford's comments are out of touch of today's times & reality.

CBC World Report at http://www.cbc.ca/worldreport/audio.html w/ the interview starting 10:15 minutes in.

Linford shows no respect for women. He only cares about the men as being money cows (or should I say bulls). His commentary smells so bad that I would not be surprised if he abandons the women program altogether. For instance, the U20 presently don't have a coach. After Pellerud is gone in 2008, Linford will not spend money in getting a high paid coach. Since the women are so "united" now they should demand the resignation of Linford before the WC.

I know Rich, sorry, just too busy today, and heading out the door for the rest of the day.

If you have time, go for it. From the FIFA site, just click on countries in yellow at the top, then "Fixtures and Results" and it will show you the venues.

All you have to do to get womens results is change the "m" in the url to an "f".

CBC World Report at 6 interview of the WNT on Gender Equity last week that aired today.

NOTE it 4 minute segment changes each day so it's only there today unless someone wants to host the mp3 file I have!!!!

It has Karina LeBlanc & Colin Linford being interviewed.

CBC World Report at 6 at http://www.cbc.ca/w6/audio.html w/ the interview starting 19:22 minutes in.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

According to FIFA, the only error there is Guatemala and the US being Gold Cup. All the dates are valid.

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=can/fixturesresults/gender=m/index.html

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=can/fixturesresults/gender=f/index.html

It's not that the dates aren't valid, its just that both lists are woefully incomplete.

As for CoachRich's question. The senior Men will have 1 home game this year. The Women will have none.

I'll do a complete fixture list for both squads when I have more time.

quote:Originally posted by georg

I guess that's the same with with Tennis, Golf, Gymnastic, Equestrian and Water Polo...etc....

But womens tennis got to where it is precisely because you can achieve a relatively stronger return on investment (compared to other womens sports programs like soccer and Hockey) for each funding dollar. It got there because its been in existence for a great many years, its competitive and eventually gained wider spread acceptance and following that is close or on par with mens programs.

You cant say the same about other womens team sports who have been around for barely a decade and where, as result, the competitiveness is sub par, scattered and underdeveloped. In regards to funding opportunities, those who talk about things like "right" and "opportunity" rather than "return on investment" are really trying to put the carriage ahead of the horse. You cant tell sponsors to forgo return on investment for "right" and "opportunity". Thats not how it works in free enterprise system. Yet, Canadian soccer is operating on the principles of "right" and "opportunity" while high performance sports is all about return on investment.

quote:In regards to funding opportunities, those who talk about things like "right" and "opportunity" rather than "return on investment" are really trying to put the carriage ahead of the horse. You cant tell sponsors to forgo return on investment for "right" and "opportunity". Thats not how it works in free enterprise system. Yet, Canadian soccer is operating on the principles of "right" and "opportunity" while high performance sports is all about return on investment

I have been reading the posts here for quite a while and have decided to jump in. I want to clear up some misconceptions regarding the distinction with FOR PROFIT soccer clubs and leagues and the status of the CSA, a NON PROFIT sport governing body. As a rule, NON-PROFIT organisations offer a service to the population not provided by the FOR-PROFIT sector. Their objectives are social, not commercial.

I might be tempted to agree with your arguments Free Kick, as well as many of the well formed opinions of others on this thread if we were talking about a professional league, a professional soccer club or some other business venture, where profit is the primary objective. But we are not talking about a business but about the CSA, a non-profit sport governing body, and as such it is NOT a part of the free enterprise system.

The CSA's mission is to promote soccer for all. It has the right to generate revenue to achieve its objectives, but revenue generation cannot be placed ahead of its mission and objectives.

Listening to Mr.Linford's comments, it appears to me that he has lost sight of the mission and objectives of his organisation. As the representative of a sport governing body that should be representing the interests of men, women, boys and girls who play soccer, his comments on the CBC are SHAMEFUL.

It is difficult to see anything other than sexism or misogyny (def: justifying and maintaining the subordination of women to men) in Mr. Linford's statement. How can his statements to the effect that the POTENTIAL of making 10 million dollars IF the Canadian men qualify for the World Cup (realistically not in the cards for Canada's men anytime soon) is more important than supporting a program currently ranked 9th in the world...a team that finished 4th at the last World Cup...be considered anything other than sexist when you look at the mission of the orgisation he represents. If a private soccer club wants to make these types of statements they can because their objective is PROFIT. That is not the case with the CSA, which must, first and foremost, promote soccer for ALL.

I want to make it clear that I do not make these statements because I think the women's team deserves more consideration than the men's since they are World Cup qualifiers and the men are not. I support the men's national team just as strongly as the women's team and sincerely hope they will prove me wrong and qualify for the next World Cup. However, I do not accept that their future potential is MORE IMPORTANT than the current achievements of the amazing group of hard working players, coaches and staff that are headed to the World Cup this fall.

Right and Opportunity = Amateur Sports & Governement Funding

CSA / National Sports Ogranization - a governing body of soccer

Hockey / National Sports Ogranization - a governing body of ice hockey

ROI = Professional Sports & Private Investment

MLS - ROI

NHL - ROI

Archived