Toronto FC Tactics

Soju

I've only seen the Colorado match so I'm interested in your comments. What do TFC's tactics look like at this point? What do you think Mo's telling them in training? I saw a lot of balls back to the keeper in the second half banged back up the middle for turnovers or fifty/fifty balls. Pretty bad passing, can Toronto succeed with a possession game or are they doomed to hoofing their way to the top?

Guest speedmonk42

There seems to be many occasions in which a ball that could have been played forward is worked all the way back only to have some guy huff it up the field to no one.

Something the first guy could have done himself.

To answer your question, I think it is something that we will see less and less of as time goes on.

Scarves are back... Soju, send me your address (at work maybe is the best?)

I will be sure to slip in a badly coded message of our plans to assassinate members of government......

I think some of the sloppiness had to do with the heat, and the pace at which the match started. I think Mo has given his pacey fullbacks the go ahead to attack the flanks. With Dichio holding up the ball and Cunningham making forward runs, it's taken the pressure off the midfield -a definite problem in the first few games. I'm pretty impressed at the turnaround. If you'd seen the first 4 matches, you'd even be impressed with the second half against the Rapids.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I think some of the sloppiness had to do with the heat, and the pace at which the match started. I think Mo has given his pacey fullbacks the go ahead to attack the flanks. With Dichio holding up the ball and Cunningham making forward runs, it's taken the pressure off the midfield -a definite problem in the first few games. I'm pretty impressed at the turnaround. If you'd seen the first 4 matches, you'd even be impressed with the second half against the Rapids.

A little off topic, but speaking of Dichio holding the ball up for Cunningham, my favourite moment in Saturday's game was Dichio getting fouled while waiting for a long ball from the back, catching the ball before it even hit the ground, turning and sending Cunningham away from the quick free kick before anyone had a chance to react.

THAT would've been a goal of the week.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to try to find whatever games I can via torrents. MLS has always seemed like a hack and release league to me. Defence and mids hack away at each other, as soon as they turnover the ball they hoof it forward to release the forwards with an early high ball. Not much patience or composure, but I'm generalizing. I just hope TFC can bring a little more patience to their game and put some passes together on the floor, give their teammates a chance to breathe and get into good positions. I'm not sure they're ready for a one touch passing game yet judging by some of the poor passes that went straight to the rapids players. Which team in MLS looks to play the "sexiest" (though not necessarily the most effective) football right now?

Archived