Montreal v Vancouver video (BitTorrent)

Who'd want to watch that again?

Now todays Toronto-Colorado matchup, thats a keeper. An expansion team missing quite a few players putting on a great show of offensive soccer. Compared to two of the highest paid teams in the USL putting on another exhibition of boring 0-0 soccer.

Wow...I actually thought the game was pretty good. The second half of the Toronto game was a snoozer. I don't think the Vancouver-Montreal game was as good as the 0-0 between New England and Real Salt Lake, which featured end to end chances.

But I've seen WAY worse games between Vancouver and Montreal WITH scoring.

I actually had to go out and miss the second half of the Toronto game, but what I said was true. Far more action in the first 12 minutes of that game than in the Whitecaps-Montreal matchup. I'm not saying that because it's MLS. I've seen quite a few games on USL live that make Whitecaps games look like they are being played in slo-mo. Rochester @ Miami on Friday night played before no fans (okay they announced a crowd of 483, so it probably was around 42)had two teams entertaining those few fans better than what Vancouver and Montreal were doing for that large crowd in Montreal. These are supposed to be the best two teams in the league, why don't they try to play an entertaining game for once, instead of their two head coaches trying to show how great they can coach defensive soccer?

Anyway, just a rant. I can't be the only one who is turned off by Bob Lilley tactics judging from the number of empty seats at Whitecaps games this season.

I was starting to think it was just I who thought this game was crap, but I just came across this post on bigsoccer proving to the neutral eye that this game was as bad as I thought:

From ToMhIlL:

"Granted, it isn't a hell of a lot to go on, but I find it laughable to suggest that Montreal and/or Vancouver are even the equal to Toronto FC. I saw parts of the Montreal-Vancouver game Friday night and there were times when neither team could even string together more than two passes. Looping long balls over the top, only to be hoofed back out to midfield by a defender (many times shanking it out of bounds, even when he would have had the time to settle it) made me wonder about the quality of play in USL-1. And these were the top 2 teams in the league."

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492195&page=13

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

I was starting to think it was just I who thought this game was crap, but I just came across this post on bigsoccer proving to the neutral eye that this game was as bad as I thought:

From ToMhIlL:

"Granted, it isn't a hell of a lot to go on, but I find it laughable to suggest that Montreal and/or Vancouver are even the equal to Toronto FC. I saw parts of the Montreal-Vancouver game Friday night and there were times when neither team could even string together more than two passes. Looping long balls over the top, only to be hoofed back out to midfield by a defender (many times shanking it out of bounds, even when he would have had the time to settle it) made me wonder about the quality of play in USL-1. And these were the top 2 teams in the league."

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492195&page=13

Could not agree more with this assessment especially after seeing how much more fluid(and exciting) the play was in the Toronto-Colorado game. I have attended a lot of USL Div 1 games, as a match reporter and as a fan and while the quality has improved since I started following the Impact back in 1995, it remains several cuts below MLS. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just not being realistic.

I will still support the Impact, as they are my local pro team, but they must do everything in their power to join MLS(of course if they do, they will have to bring in a lot of higher quality players in order to compete). Otherwise, we will continue to see the kind of boring all-the-play-is-in-the-midfield soccer we saw on Friday which just turns people off of the game.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Oh, right, I forgot that games on FSC are not on USL Live.

Actually the previous game that Montreal played on FSC was shown on USL live. I recall during a live chat someone questioning why that game was allowed to be shown. I surmised it was because Montreal had their own television rights to the game and FSC didn't have the sole rights. Who knows what reasoning they have for showing or not showing games on USL Live. For two weeks running, one game they have advertised as part of the USL live package at the last minute have been tagged as "On Demand Only". Meaning that you couldn't watch it live but could watch it archived a day later.

I watched the game and the one thing that truck me was the amount of pressure put on the ball throuought the game. While I do think that the individual talent level of TFC is a bit better than the talent of either Montreal or Vancouver, they do have the luxury of stringing together their passes in MLS with quite limited pressure on the ball fpr two thirds of the field. So I think on appearance, the difference is skill is quite exagerated and would love to see these three teams square off in a cup competition.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I watched the game and the one thing that truck me was the amount of pressure put on the ball throuought the game. While I do think that the individual talent level of TFC is a bit better than the

Two of the three goals in the Col-TFC are very much symbolic of what distinguished USL from MLS.

1-The buildup, execution and individual effort by Marbell Wynne.

2-The through ball from Casey ( using the outside of his foot) and resulting run and goal.

These are two examples of goals that you dont see in USL play. Yes, from the tactical and defensive aspect, there might be little to differential between the two circuits.

Having said that, I still thought that the Van-Mtl game was a great game. Very suspensefull and there were lots of good scoring chances. The finishing wasn't great. But still, one of the better games that I have seen.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

(missing the final two minutes of the match)

I can post those final two minutes from Radio-Canada, if anyone wants them (if you bothered to download the rest of the game then you probably do, considering what happens at the very end).

I can also post the Team 1040 commentary for the whole game except the first few minutes of the pre-game, if anyone wants that. (B&WA, earlier you asked about commentary recordings: I will definitely do any game between Montreal and Vancouver, but I haven't been doing any others this season and I'm not sure that I will (though the chances of this happening might increase as the games get more important towards the end of the season).)

I don't have the CJAD commentary, but would be interested if anyone does.

Archived