Two Places at Once????

Anyone know what is going on for Canada vs. Costa Rica the first match of the Gold Cup?? Gerry and Craig will be broadcasting the Toronto/New York match which kicks-off at 7:30...Canada Costa/Rica is at 7:00pm. Reading other posts I saw that Goltv can not show Canada's group stage matches live...they are on 24 hour delay because Sportsnet has the live rights...has anyone heard anything??

Here's your answer (from the post on Sportsnet's coverage):

(Available live only on East, Pacific digital channels Friday at 7pm ET. Match can be viewed in its entirety Saturday at 10 am ET for those without.)

quote:Originally posted by bungey

(Available live only on East, Pacific digital channels Friday at 7pm ET. Match can be viewed in its entirety Saturday at 10 am ET for those without.)

No, he's talking about the Costa Rica game next wednesday.

I think the TFC game will be shown live on Sportsnet at 7 PM (eatern time)and the Canada game will be on tape delay at 9 PM.

quote:Originally posted by bungey

I think the TFC game will be shown live on Sportsnet at 7 PM (eatern time)and the Canada game will be on tape delay at 9 PM.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I guess that deals with the actual air time for the Canada game, but who on earth is Sportsnet going to have actually covering the Canadian match.....Daren Millard and Nick Kypreos.......someone save us please!

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I guess that deals with the actual air time for the Canada game, but who on earth is Sportsnet going to have actually covering the Canadian match.....Daren Millard and Nick Kypreos.......someone save us please!

Wait a minute — Sportsnet is delaying coverage of Canada vs. Costa Rica (an official Gold Cup game) for a TFC game? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Isn't anyone upset about this? Do people want to watch TFC live and Canada on delay? Meanwhile, Montreal vs. Vancouver (one of only two scheduled games between Canadian pro teams this entire year) overlaps with Venezuela vs. Canada (a friendly) and most people seem more interested in watching the latter. I don't get what's going on here (though the phrase "TFC Kool-Aid" did enter my thoughts recently).

Dobson was on FAN590 yesterday. He said that he and Craig will do the TFC match and then fly down to the Gold Cup match the next day. My guess is that Sportsnet will pick up someone else's feed and use the host broadcasters english speaking commentary rather than Gerry and Craig for that game.

They should borrow Vic Rauter for the day. TSN and Sportsnet are located very close (seperated by a parking lot only) so Vic could just walk over. I think Rauter would say no, unfortunately, because he has boycotted CDN MNT matches now that Pesch is no longer part of the player pool.

PESH-EEEE-SOOOO-LEEE-DOUGHHHHHHHH

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Wait a minute — Sportsnet is delaying coverage of Canada vs. Costa Rica (an official Gold Cup game) for a TFC game? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Isn't anyone upset about this? Do people want to watch TFC live and Canada on delay? Meanwhile, Montreal vs. Vancouver (one of only two scheduled games between Canadian pro teams this entire year) overlaps with Venezuela vs. Canada (a friendly) and most people seem more interested in watching the latter. I don't get what's going on here (though the phrase "TFC Kool-Aid" did enter my thoughts recently).

Personally, if I had to choose, i want to see TFC live. I have minimal interest in this Gold Cup to be totally honest because of the half assed preperation the CSA provided the boys for this tournament and the fact that we are being led by a temp coach. We are not positioned to succeed. I Still want the MNT to do well but i don't expect much, if anything.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Wait a minute — Sportsnet is delaying coverage of Canada vs. Costa Rica (an official Gold Cup game) for a TFC game? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

It should be! Dang it, that really messes me and my "play-by-play" idea up. What about the other two Gold Cup games, will they be shown live on the normal channel 22?

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Personally, if I had to choose, i want to see TFC live. I have minimal interest in this Gold Cup to be totally honest because of the half assed preperation the CSA provided the boys for this tournament and the fact that we are being led by a temp coach. We are not positioned to succeed. I Still want the MNT to do well but i don't expect much, if anything.

Thats the way I feel as well. I like the GC but it is just not of the same level of prestige as the other continental tournaments. There are many reasons for that. Not the least of which is the competeive landscape in the region and how it get shuffled around with the dates, timming, organization etc

I do think that the GC is important for the MNT in that it can be used as momentum builder for the program. Case in point, compared the attendances for Canada and home at the early stage of WCQ 2002 verus WCQ 2006. We had a nice 25,000 fans who came out for Can-TNT in Edm after we won the GC. Plus a nice cowd for a trendly versus TNT in Toronro earlier that year. That was just after we won the GC in 2000. Contrast that with the attendance at commonwealth for WCQ the next time around and you can appreciate the the value of the GC win in 2000. Its a nice little worthwhile tournament of some significant. Just like friedlies are. But as far as actual prestige of the event and of winning the event, thats another story. Just look at how quickly canadian forgot the GC 2000 win as witnessed by the turnout at commonwealth for the WCQ in 2004.

We just dont have the national sides with prestige and drawing power in cONCAFAf that there is in the EU, SA, and and even Africa.

I was frankly more interested in GC when they invited teams from outside the region to play (like the year we won it and we played S. Korea and Columbia).

Playing Haiti and Guadelupe just isn't interesting enough to get me in front of the TV....

Playing Haiti and Guadelupe just isn't interesting enough to get me in front of the TV....

...especially when a lot of top Canadian players are not even going to be there. Having watched Marco Reda and Adam Braz in MLS reserve games it is a bit depressing that they could be called up for this. They look very average even against and alongside MLS development roster players.

Well, if as you claim, the CSA doesn't properly support "our boys", how does the fans not supporting them help? I am really looking forward to seeing the National team play, regardless of their crappy prep, since I am a Canadian soccer supporter.

I also did not like the CSA's prep, but I will support the players who have come from all over the world to represent Canada.

Plus, I live in Vancouver, I'm a Whitecaps fan not a TFC fan!

I was frankly more interested in GC when they invited teams from outside the region to play (like the year we won it and we played S. Korea and Columbia).

hahah you don't watch Canada games to see "our boys"!? Comon who cares who they are playing, I want to see our players.

Plus, on Canada alone there will probably be more players who would be "stars" on TFC than TFC currently have! How many TFC players are better than DeGuzman (Depor), Stalteri (Spurs), Hume (City), DeRo (MLS MVP nominee), Hutchinson (FCK), Friend (Herenveen) etc?

Funny, Thats how I felt as well, but that view is in the minority. Playing South Korea, who fielded half of what becaame their WC team, was a good test and confidence builder for Canada. Same goes with Columbia, or even any kind C team that Brazil would send. But now Concacaf has taken away the marquee value to the event. The side like Guadaloup or Haiti have some talent and, in any game, can surprise anyone but they are just not contenders for a variety of socio economic reasons and the simple fact that they are just to small stacked up against the likes of Mexico and the USA. Thats one of the things that makes this region unique and why there will never be a regional chmpionship to rival Copa America, UEFA, and the African nations cup. When a side like Greece won the Euro, nobody said that the rest of field didn't take the event seriously, but thats what would happen if similar surprise occurred during the GC.

In retrospect, I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to keep the event in the winter months. A nice international tournament in the region during the winter month would have been better for the appetite of the fans in NA than in the summer months when there is so much going on. In their infinte wisdom, they even went so far as to scheduled the last GC right in the middle of WCQ, after canada was eliminated. How is that supposed to enhance the prestige and interest and get the sides to take it seriously?

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I personally like having the event all-CONCACAF. Teams like Cuba, Haiti (etc) will only get better by having a chance to play in the regional championships. I'm actually looking forward to watching Guadeloupe play, but I'm probably the only one (haha). To me, watching Guadeloupe and Haiti is more interesting then watching a second-string guest team.

I'm pumped for Guadeloupe.

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Plus, on Canada alone there will probably be more players who would be "stars" on TFC than TFC currently have! How many TFC players are better than DeGuzman (Depor), Stalteri (Spurs), Hume (City), DeRo (MLS MVP nominee), Hutchinson (FCK), Friend (Herenveen) etc?

None of those guys are huge stars in European terms (no need for pedantry over DeRo). All good players obviously but Cunningham, Dichio, O'Brien, Brennan (chose to remain with TFC this time), Wynne, Edu and Robinson are not too far off that list in terms of quality.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

None of those guys are huge stars in European terms (no need for pedantry over DeRo). All good players obviously but Cunningham, Dichio, O'Brien, Brennan (chose to remain with TFC this time), Wynne, Edu and Robinson are not too far off that list in terms of quality.

Want to take that one back? Last i checked no one on TFC was fetching 5-6M Euro to join a top Bundesliga club (Hutch). That would put him in the company of Pardo and Osario who were STARS in the MFL. No one on TFC is a star in MLS, and MFL is above MLS.

How many goals did Dichio have this season in the CCC? 5. How many did Hume have? 13. Robinson and Brennan couldn't make it past fringe status with Norwich in the CCC and relegation EPL side. Stally and DeGuz are way ahead of these guys..

What I wrote clearly indicated that I thought the list of Canadian national team players was better so I'm not sure what your post is trying to prove. My point was only that the gap isn't big enough for people who follow TFC regularly to be awestruck enough by the difference to automatically ditch watching their club level team the way people would have with the Lynx. The transfer fee for Atiba Hutchinson puts him on a par with Scott Brown who just moved from Hibs to Celtic in Scotland. A player who would probably elicit a Scott Who? from most people who follow the game in Europe. Canadian national team players are hyped up on here more than they should be but that is understandable enough given it is a board for supporters of the team.

They probably expect more viewers for TFC or maybe the contract requires that they show TFC live.

Why wouldn't they show the Gold Cup match live on their digital channels as they are doing for the Venezuela game? It's an actual tournament instead of a friendly, and Costa Rica is a better team and an important rival.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

What I wrote clearly indicated that I thought the list of Canadian national team players was better so I'm not sure what your post is trying to prove.

"not too far off that list in terms of quality."

The statement wasn't as clear as you could have written. What it indicates to me is a rather small difference in quality...

quote:My point was only that the gap isn't big enough for people who follow TFC regularly to be awestruck enough by the difference to automatically ditch watching their club level team the way people would have with the Lynx.

This is much clearer. Though i still think there is enough of a difference and i think an avid soccer fan will notice. Especially against an opponent like Costa Rica which are stronger than say Colorado.

quote:The transfer fee for Atiba Hutchinson puts him on a par with Scott Brown who just moved from Hibs to Celtic in Scotland. A player who would probably elicit a Scott Who? from most people who follow the game in Europe. Canadian national team players are hyped up on here more than they should be but that is understandable enough given it is a board for supporters of the team.

Scottish players are just as overhyped as English players...

I don't think we're over hyping Atiba, if FCK believes German clubs will pay that much for him and they do, then the market has spoken. Stuttgart and Bremen did not get where they are by over hyping potential purchases. And i don't think they'll do it unless they believe they are making the best deal possible.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I personally like having the event all-CONCACAF. Teams like Cuba, Haiti (etc) will only get better by having a chance to play in the regional championships. I'm actually looking forward to watching Guadeloupe play, but I'm probably the only one (haha). To me, watching Guadeloupe and Haiti is more interesting then watching a second-string guest team.

Agree completely.

Mexico are suddenly taking this tournament more serious than they have for years:

Mexico calls up all of their European based players

The Mexican national team will be disputing the CONCACAF Gold Cup from the 6 to the 24 of June with all of their Europeans based stars. Rafael Marquez of Spain’s FC Barcelona will be leading th list.

30/MAY/2007 - Marquez will join the team during the semifinals of the Gold Cup which is set to start June 17, that is if they make it that far in a group that inculdes Cuba, Honduras, and Panama.

Defender Ricardo Osorio and midfielder Pavel Pardo of German side Stuttgart, defender Carlos Salcido of PSV Eindhoven, and striker Nery Castillo of Greek side Olimpiakos will be with the team since the first day of the Gold Cup. Mexican coach Hugo Sanchez decided upon these 23 of the 28 players he called up for the Gold Cup and America Cup. CONCACAF decided to make public all of the rosters of all of the teams, informed the Mexican federation.

Luis Ernesto Michel and Gonzalo Pineda of Guadalajara, Israel Castro of Pumas UNAM, and Jaime Correa and Juan Carlos Cacho of Pachuca were left out of the team, but despite that they will still travel with the team to the tournament being held in the U.S. from the 6th to the 24th of June.

In the first round of the Gold Cup Mexico will face Cuba on June 8 in New York, Honduras on June 10 in New York and Panama on June 13 in Houston.

The players called up for the Gold Cup are :

Goalkeepers: Oswaldo Sánchez (Santos), Guillermo Ochoa (América), and Jose de Jesus Corona (Tecos).

Defenders: Jonny Magallon (Guadalajara), Fausto Pinto (Pachuca), Francisco Javier Rodríguez (Guadalajara), José Antonio Castro (America), Carlos Salcido (PSV Eindhoven), Rafael Márquez (Barcelona), and Ricardo Osorio (Stuttgart). Midfielders: Pavel Pardo (Stuttgart), Jaime Lozano (Tigres), Ramon Morales (Guadalajara), Gerardo Torrado (Cruz Azul), Andrés Guardado (Atlas), and Fernando Arce (Morelia).

Stikers: Alberto Medina (Guadalajara), Omar Bravo (Guadalajara), Adolfo Bautista (Guadalajara), Cuauhtemoc Blanco (America), Francisco Fonseca (Tigres), Nery Castillo (Olimpiakos), and Jared Borgetti (Cruz Azul).

Terra/EFE

Archived