A solution for the supporters section at BMO

KAS

Speaking from my section in 114, I think its way too rowdy for people to be keeping track of flag signals way over in 111/112. It could work, but would need very dedicated people at the front of each section. I think this, in combination with megaphones, would work the best for coordination, but like people have been saying, would take some of the spontaneity out of the chants (ie. the "On Your Toes" chant that instantly springs up in our area when Sutton makes a nice save in front of us).

There's a guy with a megaphone down in 112 or 113 I keep seeing who seems to have the right idea, a chant director who spends more time watching the stands than the game. Without trying to adopt a Euro-centric mentality, this is a common role for many of Europe's ultras groups, and from 114 I could barely hear the guy over the chanting and singing in our section, so I don't think he's really bothering anyone.

quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

Speaking from my section in 114, I think its way too rowdy for people to be keeping track of flag signals way over in 111/112. It could work, but would need very dedicated people at the front of each section. I think this, in combination with megaphones, would work the best for coordination, but like people have been saying, would take some of the spontaneity out of the chants (ie. the "On Your Toes" chant that instantly springs up in our area when Sutton makes a nice save in front of us).

Holy S**t, did someone actually write something useful and related to the original post in this thread? Obviously, you are new here, as the old vets on this board prefer to reduce all threads to arguments over who has the smallest dick and whether megaphones are related to this problem. Finding a good forum to intelligently discuss TFC with independently-minded but respectable people is proving impossible.

Good post, and I agree about the lack of spontanaity - that is a problem that any system of organizing the entire South end would likely encounter. When I am at the game tomorrow I will try to take a walk around and pay more attention to the various groups to see what potential they really have and see if I can come up with any ideas.

One of the advantages of not being a member of any group is that is the ability to see things clearly and objectively. One of the things that I have noticed is that *SOME* members of certain supporters groups seem to be trapped in a mental bubble. They are having such a great time in their little area that they don't see the bigger picture and are ignorant of what's going on outside of their own section.

Anyways, I will try to post more after I return from tomorrow's game. In the meantime, back to the completely pointless and retarded "megaphones and their relationship to small genitals" debate.

Gooner will love you changing the subject yet he I grew up under these gestapo guys and that was no fun, so kasius make one more statement and also resent that gestapo shid please.If you want I could tell you some of my own gestapo experiences which would really make you sick.

Does that take him of the hook. What is the time limit for real discussiosn to be considered serious,less than 8 hours or is it wide open as it should be.

Rudi I really don't like to be discussed along the lines of gestapo,this so wrong and so immature it is crazy.Do you want to hear my most disgusting gestapo story?

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Most people only care about having fun with their friends, so for them everything is just fine as is. My post was directed at a far smaller crowd - those who are in supporters groups and who want to see the entire South End (and eventually the entire stadium) singing the same songs in unison for maximum effect. That is the bigger picture that I was refering to.

The poor acoustic properties at BMO means that individual sections usually cannot be heard loud and clear throughout the stadium. To those in the section, it sounds really loud, but it doesn't carry. I believe that this has led to *SOME* people in the supporters sections becoming "Bubble Boys" - those who have an exaggerated sense of their own effectiveness, and who remain blissfully unaware of what is going on just a couple of sections over where different groups are singing different songs at the same time, but with the same disappointing result.

If you go to BigSoccer and other forums where fans of the other MLS teams are, you will find that there is more praise for the TFC fans in general than for the supporters' section. Many Chicago, Houston, and DC fans who visited BMO felt that although the fans in the grandstands were surprisingly loud (very different than in the US), the supporters' section was not nearly as effective as it should be for its' size because it was too disorganized. These members of more established supporters groups know what they are talking about.

I think that it is unfortunate that the various groups do not communicate more and work together, but I am not surprised. It is not just about pride, differences of opinion, and a desire for independence, there is also an element of laziness involved. Much like this forum, the forums of the supporters groups will see stupid childish fights run for pages, while the occassional intelligent post or thoughtful idea will often be missed or ignored. It is far easier to talk/write about unifying groups and promoting unison than it is to actually do something about it. I'm sure the groups will get there eventually, but at this rate, it is going to take a long time (late into NEXT season) and perhaps require a push from MLSE or someone who is a real leader to make things happen.

I started this thread because I had an idea that I thought would help the people in the South End to communicate effectively and unite it into one large choir. I am a very thick-skinned person who loves to debate and argue, so I can handle plenty of criticism, but I am disappointed at the lack of meaningful feedback from the hundreds of people who have read this thread. I am particularly disappointed in the fact that none of the people who I know are in TFC supporters groups have offered a single useful comment about my idea or offered an alternative for consideration. I wouldn't care if they were too busy implementing some great master plan to solve all the problems, but that is clearly not the case.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Most people only care about having fun with their friends, so for them everything is just fine as is. My post was directed at a far smaller crowd - those who are in supporters groups and who want to see the entire South End (and eventually the entire stadium) singing the same songs in unison for maximum effect. That is the bigger picture that I was refering to.

The poor acoustic properties at BMO means that individual sections usually cannot be heard loud and clear throughout the stadium. To those in the section, it sounds really loud, but it doesn't carry. I believe that this has led to *SOME* people in the supporters sections becoming "Bubble Boys" - those who have an exaggerated sense of their own effectiveness, and who remain blissfully unaware of what is going on just a couple of sections over where different groups are singing different songs at the same time, but with the same disappointing result.

If you go to BigSoccer and other forums where fans of the other MLS teams are, you will find that there is more praise for the TFC fans in general than for the supporters' section. Many Chicago, Houston, and DC fans who visited BMO felt that although the fans in the grandstands were surprisingly loud (very different than in the US), the supporters' section was not nearly as effective as it should be for its' size because it was too disorganized. These members of more established supporters groups know what they are talking about.

I think that it is unfortunate that the various groups do not communicate more and work together, but I am not surprised. It is not just about pride, differences of opinion, and a desire for independence, there is also an element of laziness involved. Much like this forum, the forums of the supporters groups will see stupid childish fights run for pages, while the occassional intelligent post or thoughtful idea will often be missed or ignored. It is far easier to talk/write about unifying groups and promoting unison than it is to actually do something about it. I'm sure the groups will get there eventually, but at this rate, it is going to take a long time (late into NEXT season) and perhaps require a push from MLSE or someone who is a real leader to make things happen.

I started this thread because I had an idea that I thought would help the people in the South End to communicate effectively and unite it into one large choir. I am a very thick-skinned person who loves to debate and argue, so I can handle plenty of criticism, but I am disappointed at the lack of meaningful feedback from the hundreds of people who have read this thread. I am particularly disappointed in the fact that none of the people who I know are in TFC supporters groups have offered a single useful comment about my idea or offered an alternative for consideration. I wouldn't care if they were too busy implementing some great master plan to solve all the problems, but that is clearly not the case.

Hey Kassius,that is what i have been preaching for so long. It is funny that when i first met these young guys even at that time they were split in groups and that seems to be the nature of the beast.They are all individuals who all want to do their own thing. I guess this is the way it is and I suppose we need those very strong willed individuals,but there are times when you say let's get our heads together and set some rules.One of which is that singing bit. It makes so much sense if we unite and stick to about 3 or 4 of those songs. Every time I watched the stands to my right I hear all kinds of different reactions. The guys with the steel drums,next another group doing their thing,next i think the red p boys with their thing and you can work your way down the line. All very understanding but it seems could be a lot more powerful and effective if they could find some way to communicate and have these songs as well.I can assure you that i have been preaching this since i have been on these boards and never got anywhere other than being accused ,never mind.You are very much on the right track, but as i told you that when i met these guys first it seesm a couple of years ago even than as a gathering they were split into smaller groups.hey I even got into trouble because of this split,i could not understand this,but that is the way it is,very strong individualism's.

So good luck you have my total blessing and whatever i can help you with let me know,we must find some way to bring them all together.

KAS, the groups are improving their co-ordination every match. The combination of megaphones, signals to each other, and group familiarity through location (right next to each other) at home and on the road, is making for very rapid improvement. Despite this, Rome was not built in a day. Give it time.

John, I honestly don't even know what to say.

Jeffrey, you have penis envy.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

That is good enough just save your breath for these songs and Rudi get them organized,I am appointing you as the man that makes it happen.Rudi the song general!

I'm not the Song General, but thanks for the sentiment John :D

I went to the Wheat Sheaf and certainly was totally blown away. Walked in and there he was Bill Spiers overlooking the scene and just loving it. This is what it is all about he said.You are so Right Bill and there was general rudi directing the various choirs. Boy I thought they can be nuts in Europe but this had a distinct Canadian Character it was so determined and so powerful.

Yes they were practising their songs and even a French one was being tested,over and over again. I suggested allouette to the general, but he said we have a french one already,I suggested that they try this anyway,because of the nature of the song,since other parts could respond to the words,but I could tell he had enough on his plate.

It also struck me is that there are so many women in the stadium and if you want to see some good looking girls go to a Toronto FC game,oodles and oodles.

Our team is certainly playing a lot better soccer and I was even surprised by the high level of intelligence combined with some great skills.

It was a blast and I was even interviewed by OMNI television,did not see it,was still celebrating and yes met that TFC fan at the Firkin.

Just learned that we not only produce good soccer players in Pickering but also some very smart ones. John Fitzgerald is a prominent lawyer and talking to Alex Steward his son Chris is now a lawyers as well in the US. Chris played for Canada's youth team and Olympic team. Hey how about Paul Pes, he married the right girl to.

The staff there do not know how to handle a rowdy (yet respectful) soccer crowd.

They seem to think that we're bad for business, and there have been some incidents over the past couple of weeks to support this. Yesterday they kept most TFC fans (ie. the ones with scarves) from even entering the bar after the match. And the ones that did get inside were treated like second-class citizens compared to the non-soccer crowd there.

As such, the search for a more soccer-friendly, local pub has begun.

I guess we are all learning how to handle and live with this amazing thing. Last night I took King west and I could not believe the excitement of people walking down the street and guys blowing their horns and shouting and waving flags. Like Italy winning the world cup stuff.As a bar ownner and not being a soccer fan it may be a problem trying to understand all this. We have that image and I am sure it is in the back of their minds.I looked at the faces of the cops and they all looked very stern and not one smile was to be found. I asked two if they were soccer fans and they said no and that look told me a lot.

I believe that it will be very difficult to find any bar that would want to serve TFC fans after winning a game.I did find the staff at W.S very uptight even before the game,I guess there was a history.

The Wheat Sheaf seems to be a natural,location and seize for one.Even the price of a draft seemed reasonable.

It's all your fault Rudi,or is it Paul's, now what?

At the gate guards were searching all bags etc. There were these two kids who when they opened their bag found four bottles of water, oops they went down the shute,should have seen the looks on their faces.

Archived