A solution for the supporters section at BMO

KAS

After doing some lurking, I have noticed that the supporters groups are still having problems with getting everyone together and coordinating chants. Some people are singing too fast, some not long enough for others to join in, and groups are drowning each other out with competing songs.

The primary problem, however, appears to be the acoustics at BMO. Without a roof to hold and direct sound like the Kop at Anfield, everything gets dispersed and the sections can't hear their neighbours. For all the work that U-sector and RPB are doing, I find it amazing that they remain largely ignorant of the groups and songs that are being done in 117/18. It is like they are in different stadiums.

We all know that MLSE are cheap SOBs, so a roof is out of the question for awhile. What the South End needs is a system of communication that accepts the fact that it is easier to see other sections than to hear them. Fortunately, such systems have been around for centuries. BTW, my education background is in military history, especially naval history, hence my idea:

I propose that the South End set up a system of communication through the use of flags. I'm not talking about a full Semaphore system that spells out words and would take everyone two years to learn, just a simple system with a flag for each known chant, and just one action/command flag.

You find a few people to be official flag people: three in 112 (front/middle/back row), three in 113, and as best you can with other groups (the RPBs in 110/111, the Ultras in mid-row 114, CCH, TRN, LFC Supporters). For each accepted/rehearsed chant (to be negotiated among the groups so that everyone has a say in what the South End sings) you would have a coloured flag. You exclude white (signals surrender) and red (to hard to see in sea of red), but anything else is fine. You could also use other flags (ex Quebec flag for French chant, Greek/Pan for Horto, one with #24 for the 24th minute Dichio tradition, ect) to help with memorization, but simple colour flags should be fine.

You would then need one more flag (I suggest black) to serve as the lone action/command flag. In this case, it would mean "SILENT! NEW CHANT STARTING!". With groups singing different songs at the same time and people being unable to sync-up due to all the noise, you need to get everyone to stop everything before starting a full section chant.

HERE IS HOW THE SYSTEM WOULD WORK:

For this example, let's say that U-Sector wants to do a song. The person at the front of 113 (Sean/Ryan/Rudi, ect) would look over to the flag bearer at the front of 112 (Cashcleaner?), and by pointing at different flags, agree on a flag (song/chant). They would then raise the "SILENT/NEW CHANT STARTING" flag. The flag bearers in the mid/back rows of 112/113 and in other sections would see this and raise their command flag. This should quickly make the section relatively silent and attentive. The flag bearer who started the process would then raise the flag of the selected chant. The others would raise the same flag and the chant starts.

The flag bearers would have to be attentive and on the ball so that they don't have their section starting late, but if everyone else is in sync then the stragglers should be able to hear it and catch up. Megaphones could still have a role to play in starting the chants to help with timing, but the flags can tell the whole stadium what is being sung so it will be easier for the grandstands to join in.

This is a very easy and time-proven system of communication that can be learned by everyone very quickly. A chart could be distributed alongside the song sheets - the flags will be easier to memorize than the lyrics! I'm sure some small problems might pop up, but they should be manageable.

BTW, I only post here, but if anyone likes this idea and wants to run it past U-Sector and RPB then please feel free to link this to the numerous chant/communication/coordination threads on their forums.

There are actually already two megaphones in the supporters section, it's getting better step by step, the thing is you have to get people who aren't used to singing or chanting into it. Baby steps but it's slowly happening.

Guest Jeffery S.

Megaphones are white trash solutions. There is nothing kitschier than watching a game and hearing some guy braying on a megaphone to get some deadbeats to sing. For me it proves the opposite of what folks who defend them say, that the fans are really so poor supporting the team that they need some guy to scream at them to do so. Awful. Almost up there with air horns. Zero creativity, and damn irritating as well.

Since the players are convinced the fans are great, and since the support is heard clearly on tv feeds, and it seems most fans are happy in the stadium, what then is the real problem? Is it just a bunch of Canadians looking for an excuse to line up and take turns? Have you gotten nervous because you sense you might have a breakdown if it actually, kinda, just, well.... flows naturally?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

For me it proves the opposite of what folks who defend them say, that the fans are really so poor supporting the team that they need some guy to scream at them to do so. Awful. Almost up there with air horns.

But in this case, they are essential for completely different reasons. The supporters groups are too large and the rest of the stadium is too loud to actually get any kind of coordinated chants that can be heard. Things have gotten beter game by game and megphones are a big reason. But to give an idea, from where I sit ( durring the second game) at any given point, three or four different chants or songs could be heard comming from different directions and noone was in sync with the rest.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

If someone on a megaphone told me to do something I wouldn't do it out of spite.

I hear you on that one. But in this case, he is not telling anyone to do anything. He is just strategically positioned in an area ( ironically next to me:D) so that he can pickup on the songs and chants in the lower front and sync them up so that everybody else in nearby section and behind can hear and follow rather then start their own. It seems to have worked. If you are in another part of the stdium, you wont notice the megaphone.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I hear you on that one. But in this case, he is not telling anyone to do anything. He is just strategically positioned in an area ( ironically next to me:D) so that he can pickup on the songs and chants in the lower front and sync them up so that everybody else in nearby section and behind can hear and follow rather then start their own. It seems to have worked. If you are in another part of the stdium, you wont notice the megaphone.

also, by being more centrally located oamongst sections 113 and RPB section, its more likely that a greater number will him and follow along

WOW! Now that is a f**king thread hijack! Someone from Montreal posts a pic of a megaphone (probably unaware of the fact that these are being used, but are not good enough on their own given the acoustic problems at BMO), and everyone jumps into a pro/con discussion on megaphones without a single comment on my idea!

I really don't care if everyone bashes it, but given the length and effort of my original post, and the possible merits that it may have in solving the problem of coordination in the supporters sections, I think it is deserving of some discussion. I also noticed that most of the responses came from those outside of Toronto. It would be interesting to get some feedback from the U-Sector or RPB guys who would be the most likely candidates to try to implement such a system.

You guys should save the megaphone fight for another time. They are being used, but by different groups in an uncoordinated manner (ex the TRN guy). They are useful, but are not good enough to deal with BMO's acoustic problems. Once again, it is easier to see people in other sections than it is to hear them properly - hence the flag signaling idea.

Megaphones are used by those that are not team players,they are individual jerks. This thing what we want is team stuff,the 12 player thing. As a team you sing this blah,blah,blah stuff is totally un soccer. Forget about it and concentrate on everybody singing the same song. This will be so significant and so exhilarating not just for those that sing but for the players as well. Do you for one second believe that these players are motivated by that blah,blah blah stuff. No way at all. Second of all is that idiot blahing for what team. Do you think the players know what blah noise is for their team. So forget about those horns and in fact discourage anyone bringing it into the stadium,he or even she is not a team player,just an idiot.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Megaphones are used by those that are not team players,they are individual jerks. This thing what we want is team stuff,the 12 player thing. As a team you sing this blah,blah,blah stuff is totally un soccer. Forget about it and concentrate on everybody singing the same song. This will be so significant and so exhilarating not just for those that sing but for the players as well. Do you for one second believe that these players are motivated by that blah,blah blah stuff. No way at all. Second of all is that idiot blahing for what team. Do you think the players know what blah noise is for their team. So forget about those horns and in fact discourage anyone bringing it into the stadium,he or even she is not a team player,just an idiot.

I expect you're as drunk as usual.

Megaphones are pointed AT the supporters to get them coordonated and chanting. You can rarely hear most of the people in front of you because they're chanting in the opposite direction.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I expect you're as drunk as usual.

Megaphones are pointed AT the supporters to get them coordonated and chanting. You can rarely hear most of the people in front of you because they're chanting in the opposite direction.

Come on daniel there is no need for this,it really makes you look like a little nothing baby. Que je veux dire wous ete un petite bebe.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Hey John, how about you spend one minute in the supporters section before making such summary judgements?

Hey Rudi you guys are making my dreams come through umpteen times, I love it talk about it and even try to guide if possible as well.I have said this many many times on this board, I just don't like these horns. But if that's what it takes and what you want go gor it by all means.I hope i am entitled to my opinion,I just really whish that we could find a song or songs that's us and everybody knows that,our own one,that is my ultimate dream and one hell of a powerfull weapon. Anyway we are only a couple of weeks into the season and we have umpteen years to find our niche.

To be honest Rudy I have never been a singer and that is very bad,just not me but I really enjoy that amazing feeling.Than again you don't expect a seventy year old dude to be part of the gang. It's bad enough for me to be on this board and maybe even sort of out of line. Young at heart i guess.

But can't we find a song or songs that is or are ours and ours only?

Is John TV a plant by the Anti-Soccer Media Gestapo? Does he make outrageous accusations against the ASMG just to see who agrees, and then tip off the ASMG death-squads to come deal with those of us who joined his anti-media campaign........?

Beware!!!!![:0]

Hey gooner gooner on the wall who is the slickest of them all.Death squads etc,A plant,well it seems that you represent the ennemie come on guys I am going out of my way to compliment you,thank you and making my dreams come through etc,etc,etc,etc, and more, I really don't know what is going through your minds. Maybe you were expecting me to be controversial and all of a sudden I am in debt to you and now you want to ooops k.. me. Very strange,I know there are some questionable characters in the world and now this jihad against me.Funny,funny,funny,please keep me laughing,but don't bring these horns or Danny baby.

Hey Jeffrey what is your secret. You are way more against these things than I am and I am on a death list and called drunk,you name it,scary stuff,yet no one took you on,hey guys pick on him or is Spain to far away and just picking on poor me will get Jeffrey the message all the way across that pond.

Hey poutana,watch it!!,gooner is really mean as well.

Archived