columbus thoughts on Jeff Cunningham

georg

http://columbus.theoffside.com/

May 23rd, 2007

A couple of non-Crew related things

By: Jim | Add Comments

First, former Columbus Crew player and still our all-time leading goalscorer Jeff Cunningham has been traded from Real Salt Lake to FC Toronto, in exchange for Alecko Eskandarian. You can read a bit more about this, from the perspective of a RSL supporter, here. Yesterday I made an off-the-cuff comment about how I’d welcome Jeff back into a black and gold jersey in a heartbeat. He is one of the two best forwards we’ve ever had (along with the exquisite Stern John), and as a post in the near future will illustrate, the lack of quality in our finishing is the primary reason why we are such a weak team. The chances of Cunningham ever playing for the Crew are pretty minimal, and my comment was in jest. Still, this transaction saddens me, and not just because we are playing FC Toronto this coming weekend, and, assuming he plays, this will almost insure our defeat at the hands of the soon to not be weakest team in the East.

Second, if you weren’t aware, today is the biggest sporting day of the year. AC Milan and Liverpool FC face off against each other in Athens in the UEFA Champions League final. These two clubs met in Istanbul two years ago in the final of the same competition, and played the most dramatic football match I’ve ever seen. I doubt that today’s final will reach the same level of drama, but it should be an excellent match.

Jeff, my predecessor at this blog got a nice (albeit snarky) sendoff from a DC United supporters blog. Also, youngster Danny Szetela’s injury woes are featured in this story.

It’s midweek after a really horrible outing by Columbus, so I guess there’s not a lot to write about.

Category: Team News

Tags: trades, non-Crew, MLS, ex-Crew, UEFA, Team News, Tag Index

May 22nd, 2007

More of an introduction, or, what have I gotten myself into?

By: Jim | 7 Comments

You know, starting out blogging about the Crew in the wake of one of their worst defeats ever may not have been the most emotionally healthy decision I’ve ever made in my life, but I trust I will not regret it. For one thing, the whole point of blogging is to bitch about some horrible injustice or another, and how much could I bitch had Columbus been on the winning side of that 4-0 score line? Not much, I imagine. So, in a sense, this couldn’t be a better time for me to have started this endeavor, since things can only get better from here. Right?

I’ve decided that I’ll continue to introduce myself gradually over the next couple of weeks, rather than bore everyone with my biography as a Crew supporter all at once. One thing I’ll mention now is that, while I’ll probably use ‘Columbus’ and ‘Crew’ interchangeably to refer to the topic of this blog, in general I abhor the American practice of giving their sports teams official nicknames. Therefore, in my mind, we aren’t playing the Fire on June 3rd, we’re playing Chicago.

Also, I use the terms ‘soccer’ and ‘football’ pretty much interchangeably as well. This isn’t pretension; I learned about the sport by conversing with, and listening to, Europeans, mainly Englishmen. In addition, I read British sports publications regularly, including, yes, World Soccer. How’s that for irony?

In the future you’ll learn all about my not-so-secret desire to see the Crew remade into the image of the 1994-95 Ajax side that won the European championship (maybe the de Boers would come out of retirement and play for us? Hmm…), or how a fixation with the European Premier League is poisoning the American soccer culture. But for the immediate future I’ll be concentrating on exactly what’s wrong with Columbus right now, and I imagine I’ll be explaining in great detail how Sigi Schmidt is a fool who doesn’t know one end of a football from the other

Archived