TFC's international dilemma

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Further to the backup goalkeeper point, the match report for the visit to KC earlier this season Link list Sam Reynolds as a substitute not used for TFC. They must have gotten Reynolds from the league to fill in when they cut Tomer Chencinski but hadn't yet picked up Djekanovic.

That is exactly what happened. Since he has been signed Srdjan has played all reserve games.

He mentioned that the level was low, like CUSL, because there was no real competitive motivation, that the players were excellent but there lacked real focus in the MLS reserve league. He also commented that he felt it was clear that MLS was above USL in quality, and of course he is in a position to judge.

Folks should remember he played top flight SErbia, so probably has even seen bigger and more intense crowds in Belgrade than what he might find in MLS. Don't think the atmosphere will cause problems, or big time jitters, as he's seen it, more likely problem will be his defence not being in order with so many line-up changes.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

This article notes that Kevin Goldthwaite has been injured in practice and is "questionable" for Saturday's game. Ronnie O'Brien (still nursing that knee injury) has also missed practice this week, but Mo thinks he'll play. If Goldthwaite can't go, I imagine we'll finally see Poz or Braz get a start.

Braz won't be there because he'll be with the National team. Pozniak has already started two matches, the last two they played (including the game against Benfica). He went 90 minutes in both.

quote:Originally posted by masster

EPL teams have the same problem during the African Cup of Nations...how do you think Chelsea is going to feel losing Drogba/Kalou/Essien for a month or more during the season. So I have no pity on TFC and am still upset that Brennan will not be at the World Cup.

Not a very good analogy. Chelsea have incredible depth and TFC is loosing Boyens, Robinson for 2 games plus 3 or 4 players for 3 or more games and all the U-20's for a month and a half.

I understand your frustration but whinning about a player who hasn't started for Canada for a while now is a bit of an overeaction IMO. I think he's getting back in form but he isn't a starter for us anymore.

I'm a lot more dissapointed with Lars being absent than Jimmy B.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I agree that our top players have to play as much as possible together but the situation is kind of tough on our MNT and TFC at the moment. The fault is on the MLS not respecting the FIFA calendar. If TFC let go Sutton, Brennan, Pozniak, Reda and Braz they won't have enough canadians in the team (Canizalez and Guzman being the only one remaining considering the U-20's are also involve with their NT).

The problems with the GC is that you have a possibility of loosing your players for 4 or more games (Scandinavia and MLS). I think it will be easier for those players and their clubs to release them once in a while during the year (missing only one game at a time for MLS'er).

Blaming the CSA for making compromises in this case is excessive IMO. Not an easy situation and deals were made. I think you as a fan are expecting unrealistic things to happen in this case, it was clear that we would've encounter situations like this one and that everybody wouldn't be there (Lars, Brennan, Radz, Occean).

I would've had a problem if the CSA would've let all 5 canadians with TFC while demanding to Scandianvians and other players to report for the GC. We're only loosing one to TFC, not the end of the world and I don't think we can accuse the CSA of being complacent here.

I understand your position for sure. Isn't that just part of the deal though? Looking at the roster, TFC at this point is only losing one regular player in Greg Sutton, so they are being damaged too much at this point. I realize Jim Brennan is a big part of the club, but having him there isn't too much to ask.

I suppose it comes down to the fact that the CSA has a stake in TFC. It's the old all eggs in one basket thing, and the CSA needs them to succeed, or they will fail(although TFC succeed and then the MNT being succesful as a result is still debatable in my opinion).

When it comes down to it, the CSA needs to assert its authority. The English FA had no qualms calling up Michael Owen, despite the pleas of Newcastle United, and France didn't care about calling up Claude Makelele, despite his own wishes, so why is the CSA allowing TFC to call the shots. This is after all our regional championship.

This sort of thing happened to the Impact in 2005 where they lost 6 players during the Gold Cup. Here is my match report from USLFans.com from the first game where Ali Gerba had played(after playing for Canada in the firendly the night before):

http://www.uslfans.com/game_reports/2005/montreal_ohayon_07032005.shtml

They beat Seattle 3-1 in this game and then beat Richmond 2-0 missing all six players. If you look at the lineups you will see that losing 6 players was huge but the team still came through. I expect TFC to compete just as hard. In any case, Robinson will be back for the next game.

Will this be a case-building argument for not signing Canadian Players to TFC. And to meet the quata, fill it up with development players that are less likely to be called on international duty? After all, who wants to lose their best players and risk them to injury on International duties?

Just noticed that Toronto also has a reserve game on Saturday after the main game. League rules state that no player can play more than 120 minutes in both the regular game and reserve game combined. This means there will be very few roster players available for the reserve game. Luckily the league allows non-roster players to play in a reserve game. Anyone in Toronto feel like giving Mo a call and joining TFC for the reserve game? ;)

I wonder how many Lynx players we'll see on that team...

Archived