Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JesseDart

Haiti is in form

Recommended Posts

I've been reading some reports in the central american media saying that Haiti is experiencing somewhat of a football renaissaince or "golden age" as the football pundents like to call it. I believe all of their players are based in Haiti, but it seems like they have pace and have killer counter attack. If teams go to sleep on them apparently they don't need too many chances to make them pay. They are speedy and clinical in their finishes. Defensively they seem to be strong due to their physical disposition and they basically defend with 8 people behind the ball. They are a counter attack team and not to be underestimated. Definetely a dark horse in the Gold Cup (no pun intended).

Do any of you have any info on English media on this. For those of you who speak French, have you read anything on Haiti?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the Gold Cup is a good time for one "golden age" to end and a new one to start.

That must be why it is called the Gold Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Not to be off topic but does anyone know why it is called the Gold Cup and not something more impressive like the North American Soccer Championship?

It has been called the Gold Cup since 1991, but I have no idea why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

It has been called the Gold Cup since 1991, but I have no idea why.

I would guess that there is no "why".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Gold Cup was once a 6 team tournament of past world cup winners. Dont know how often it was held, but I recall Uruguay winning it once.

Italy

Germany

England

Brazil

Uruguay

Argentina

I think that was the line-up. Long time ago so it is hard to recall. I don't think it was taken very seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps 1991 was the year Inter-Forever took over the rights of the old CONCACAF Championships and thus renamed it to the more 'flashy' Gold Cup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by JesseDart

I've been reading some reports in the central american media saying that Haiti is experiencing somewhat of a football renaissaince or "golden age" as the football pundents like to call it. I believe all of their players are based in Haiti, but it seems like they have pace and have killer counter attack. If teams go to sleep on them apparently they don't need too many chances to make them pay. They are speedy and clinical in their finishes. Defensively they seem to be strong due to their physical disposition and they basically defend with 8 people behind the ball. They are a counter attack team and not to be underestimated. Definetely a dark horse in the Gold Cup (no pun intended).

Do any of you have any info on English media on this. For those of you who speak French, have you read anything on Haiti?

Don't worry, our lack of preparation and player familiarity will lull them into a false sense of security. We can't lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:

Don't worry, out lack of preparation and player familiarity will lull them into a false sense of security. We can't lose.

hueeeew!!

Okay, I feel much better now. I was starting to worry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Results against Haiti....

Nov 10/73 Haiti 5 Canada 1

Nov 12/73 Haiti 0 Canada 1

Oct 20/77 Canada 1 Haiti 1 (in Mexico WCQ)

Nov 6/81 Canada 1 Haiti 1 (in Honduras WCQ)

Mar 28/84 Haiti 0 Canada 1

Apr 13/85 Canada 2 Haiti 0 (WCQ)

May 8/85 Haiti 0 Canada 2 (WCQ)

Oct 9/99 Canada 2 Haiti 1 (GCQ in LA)

Jan 18/02 Canada 2 Haiti 0 (GC)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Results against Haiti....

Nov 10/73 Haiti 5 Canada 1

Nov 12/73 Haiti 0 Canada 1

Oct 20/77 Canada 1 Haiti 1 (in Mexico WCQ)

Nov 6/81 Canada 1 Haiti 1 (in Honduras WCQ)

Mar 28/84 Haiti 0 Canada 1

Apr 13/85 Canada 2 Haiti 0 (WCQ)

May 8/85 Haiti 0 Canada 2 (WCQ)

Oct 9/99 Canada 2 Haiti 1 (GCQ in LA)

Jan 18/02 Canada 2 Haiti 0 (GC)

I remember someone posting something like that before T&T beat us for the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Paddy

I remember someone posting something like that before T&T beat us for the first time.

The difference is that Haiti has beaten us before.

I should have made myself more clear. I wasn't posting to show our most recent results against Haiti, but more to gain a historical perspective. Haiti were a quality side in the 1970's, and they competed well with us. I won't see it as a big surprise to see them play us tough in the Gold Cup. We have always had close games against them, except for the first one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

The difference is that Haiti has beaten us before.

Oh...is that what Nov 10/73 Haiti 5 Canada 1 meant? :)

Don't worry, I am kidding. Just trying to make light of the serious matter of our preparation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...