Question: If Dale fails...what next?

Paddy

In regards to Mitchell and the U20s. let's back up a bit. There is half of us who is expecting a lot from the team and there are those of us who will be pleased with second round.

Let these guys take it one step at a time: Do your job, improvise when needed, win individual battles, allow yourself to succeed, have discipline and no fear. Do this each minute of the half. Then worry about dealing with everything else.

If Mitchell can manage the pressure, these guys have the athleticism, the tactical knowledge and the will to do well.

He'll become a hero, but nothing changes as far as the WC2010 is concerned for me. If anything my expectations will rise.

But let us allow ourselves top dream. What if we set as our goal to win the U20? Would the Americans have this expectation of themselves if they wre hosting the tournament? Why not?

Can you guys imagine what that would do for soccer in this country?

Sorry, I know I am going from taking the pressure off to puting it on boil.

Aside from patriotic feelings, what on earth makes everybody think that Canada deserves to qualify for the 2010 World Cup? Is a national coach the last missing piece of our puzzle? What is our ranking within CONCACAF? How many CONCACAF countries qualify for 2010? Do we suddenly have a crop of talent that has put the soccer world in awe of the Canadian game? Have we enjoyed a recent spells of success on the world stage? Have we participated on the world stage recently? Has the administration of the CSA been that sound during the Pipe era? What are all these optimistic expectations based on? Linford is taking over a leaky ship. He has taken his time in filling two important positions. Would everybody have been more pleased if he had rushed these hirings. I can appreciate everyone's frustrations after so many fruitless years, but lets be a little patient and give the new guys a chance to show us what they can do. Why don't we just sit back and enjoy watching Dale and the boys this July, before we start demanding for heads to roll. We have just gone through that transition and need to let these new changes take effect.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Aside from patriotic feelings, what on earth makes everybody think that Canada deserves to qualify for the 2010 World Cup?

Nobody "deserves" to qualify for the World Cup at this point except for the hosts. Qualifiers haven't even started yet!

Guest Jeffery S.

The real question is if Dale succeeds. Since if he takes us to the World Cup right afterwards he will act like a mercenary and take the first better paying club job that he is offered, he'll ride the wave of his own success.

Just like some detractors at the CSA said would have been the case with Simoes.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Nobody "deserves" to qualify for the World Cup at this point except for the hosts. Qualifiers haven't even started yet!

First Italy, then A.C. Milan and now you start nitpicking. Pat-say-ski. (or something along those line);)

Archived