Question: If Dale fails...what next?

Paddy

Hi,

Yes...it is early. But if Dale fails for 2010, what would you like to be done next by the CSA?

Lets try to keep it to this scenario rather than getting into arguments about how it is too early to discuss this (if possible).

It depends on how he fails. If we get to the Hex and finish 4th and lose to the SA side in the playoff I'm not gonna be a big fan of firing Mitchell for this. But a first round exit like 2000 and 2004 would mean for me the end of Mitchell as our Head Coach.

A 5th or 6th place finish in the Hex would be a 50/50 for me.

Also, I would take into consideration the kind of help the coach will receive from the CSA. If we get to the Hex with minimal prep and fails there I would be higher on Mitchell than if he gets top notch prep by Canadian standards and we crash in the Hex.

hang on fellas. the criteria set by the CSA was clear. they want a coach that will take them to 2010. if that doesn't happen he should get the sack.

think about it, that was the criteria to bring in simoes and if he had been hired that would be the passing grade. Simoes was passed in favour of Mitchell, which means they have more confidence in Dale doing the job. so for me it is crystal clear.

Make the 2010 WC. This Hex stuff is just non-sense to me.

By the time CONCACAF qualifying reaches the Hex stage, it will have been 12 long years since Canada last participated at this level. If Dale manages to return the MNT to these heights, he will have restored Canada back to a creditable level within our confederation, and anything accomplished beyond that point would be a bonus, based on what he is inheritting at the moment, which in my opinion doesn't rank in the top 6 of CONCACAF!

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

The 'Hire and Fire' culture in Football is putting too much pressure on managers. It's all dependent on how much the Players want it. Sometimes the level of hunger dictates qualifiers; ie. Greece in Euro 2004.

Not directed at you, but when have our coaches ever had pressure to accomplish anything? That may be part of the problem...no accountability. Just a thought.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Not directed at you, but when have our coaches ever had pressure to accomplish anything? That may be part of the problem...no accountability. Just a thought.

I think it's just natural for a coach to want to qualify for the WC, pressure or not. I agree the CSA doesn't seems to be putting much pressure on Mitchell, but it doesn't mean that he needs it this kind of pressure to succeed. I'm pretty sure Mitchell wants it badly, more than you do if I read one of your comment in another thread correctly....

Well Canada did qualify for a World Cup, and had the Potential to make it back in the 90's. But the lack of infrastructure has affected the Canuck team.

England is so focused on Football and Cricket that other Sports programs suffer. Could it be that Canada's focus on Hockey takes potential investment away from Soccer?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I'm pretty sure Mitchell wants it badly, more than you do if I read one of your comment in another thread correctly....

I think I'll leave that to the other thread. I believe I have covered it though.

If Dale fails and we don't make the WC? He's gone if we don't make the Hex for sure. And if we get our asses handed to us in the Hex like in '97 then i say he's out.

I'd also like to say that if the team receives proper preparation and the top players show up that we have a realistic to good chance of getting to the Hex. But that should not be our final goal. Ultimately the big break for this program will only come with qualifying for the World Cup and the pay day to help finance the next 4 years.

If Dale does not qualify for WC 2010 then he should be replaced. Regardless of how much or how little support he is given, the ball is in his hands. He just needs to make it happen.

More importantly if Dale does not qualify for 2010 we should call for an outside evaluation of the conduct of the Canadian Soccer Association. We should have a neutral third party examine the hiring and tenure of all paid and unpaid CSA members, the hiring of Dale Mitchell, the CSA's finances, and corporate structure etc. We should pressure them to follow any binding recommendations of said third party. We need to somehow evaluate the individual performances of all CSA members and employees and hold them accountable for their decisions.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

More importantly if Dale does not qualify for 2010 we should call for an outside evaluation of the conduct of the Canadian Soccer Association. We should have a neutral third party examine the hiring and tenure of all paid and upaid CSA members, the hiring of Dale Mitchell, the CSA's finances, and corporate structure etc. We should pressure them to follow any binding recommendations of said third party. We need to somehow evaluate the individual performances of all CSA members and employees and hold them accountable for their decisions.

Yes, I have long felt the CSA has needed an oversite committee attached to it.

I believe that failure to qualify for the World Cup no matter the circumstances should result in a sacking. The CSA should make the World Cup finals a priority, and the Coach - whether it is Mitchell, Simoes, or Marcello Lippi - should be accountable.

The debate on this thread has been what if Mitchell fails in the 2010 WC run. I have a more pressing question -- what if the U20's fall flat this summer? I think it's likely they'll make the second round at least, but what if that's as far as they went? Or what if they never made it out of the group stage?

If the U20's make it to the quarters or the semis, the CSA can justify their choice. But if a guy can't take a talented U20 squad anywhere while they are hosting the tournament, how does the CSA spin that this is the guy to lead Canada on a much tougher journey?

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Jason

The debate on this thread has been what if Mitchell fails in the 2010 WC run. I have a more pressing question -- what if the U20's fall flat this summer? I think it's likely they'll make the second round at least, but what if that's as far as they went? Or what if they never made it out of the group stage?

If the U20's make it to the quarters or the semis, the CSA can justify their choice. But if a guy can't take a talented U20 squad anywhere while they are hosting the tournament, how does the CSA spin that this is the guy to lead Canada on a much tougher journey?

Jason

Good, but scary, post. I wonder too what spin the CSA could put on this potentiality. I would think it is safe to assume that we will be in the second round - it seems to be a hidden mandate of FIFA that, for the good of the tournament, the host team will make it to the second round.

quote:Originally posted by Jason

Jason

I actually believe this is part (not entirely but part) of the reason the CSA named Mitchell as Manager when they did.

If the U20's go out in first round this summer, the CSA would have been under a hell of a lot of more pressure to look outside Canada for a new MNT Manager.

Now, even if the U20's tank, they can say "well look at our reasons for appointing Dale when we did, they were legit."

God I hope the U20's exceed expectations, and so does Mitchell and our MNT when qualifying starts. Come on SA 2010.

So far people have only addressed what should happen to Dale if we fail. What about the coaching situation if this happens. Do we demand a foreign coach? How would the appointment of another Canadian coach be met? I think the recent comments by the CSA has backed them into a corner. If Dale fails I think the CSA at that point needs an overhaul.

In short we should ensure that we have appropriate funding set aside for a skilled coach with International Senior experience. With a budget of $500,000 to $1,000,000 per year we should hire the most experienced and skilled coach we can find. Whether he be Canadian or International.

A good COO will find us the funding we need.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Whether he be Canadian or International.

What Canadian coach fits that description? If he existed, we would know.I guess there is still Sweeny, Bridge or James (yes, I am being sarcastic). Twamly...no thanks.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

What Canadian coach fits that description? If he existed, we would know.I guess there is still Sweeny, Bridge or James (yes, I am being sarcastic). Twamly...no thanks.

That was my point. ;)

It should be a fair open competition to select the best coach possible. Coaches should not be selected based on their time with the CSA or the fact that they're Canadian.

Archived