Interesting article from 2006 on Canadian soccer

Paddy

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

An interesting read. Sounds like the writer has a good take on the pulse of this forum. Especially that bit about Nelli Furtado.

??? Not sure what you mean by the Furtado comment? The pulse of Grizzly says that the only thing that could turn me off Canadian soccer more than say Yallop/Lenarduzzi returning as a national team coaching tandem is if Nelli were to record the official team song. Could it actually be worse than the one she did for the Portugese? I have faith in her "talent" that it could be.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

??? Not sure what you mean by the Furtado comment? The pulse of Grizzly says that the only thing that could turn me off Canadian soccer more than say Yallop/Lenarduzzi returning as a national team coaching tandem is if Nelli were to record the official team song. Could it actually be worse than the one she did for the Portugese? I have faith in her "talent" that it could be.

Tastes asides, I think his point was that she actually wrote a theme song for the team that is not even her native country. Her native country could use all the effort and attention that it could get.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Tastes asides, I think his point was that she actually wrote a theme song for the team that is not even her native country. Her native country could use all the effort and attention that it could get.

Man, the men's national team already has enough going against it. I think it is good that she has nothing to do with it - keep your distance, honey! I have to see her mug on a weekly basis in the Victoria Times Colonist. Very rarely has such mediocroty been so richly rewarded. I wish she would pull a Hergreaves and defect to Portugal.

I will now sit back and await the acerbic emails in her defense. I sure hope someone tells me that she makes more money than me, that is my favorite.

I think that Dymond's point in raising Furtado is to show how little prominence the Canadian team has with Canadians. Yet the Furtado example is not a good example. First of all, whether one individual pop star sings a song for a team from her ethic background playing in a competition we are not eligible to play in is the least of the problems of Canadian soccer. It is of absolutely no importance. Secondly even the argument that it shows ethnic Canadians are more attached to their ethnic teams than Canada does not apply here. As I remember it Furtado was approached by the Portugese Federation to write the song. She received both a substantial amount of money and exposure for writing it. While her Portugese heritage obviously played a role in Portugal asking her to do this, I am sure she would have done it for Germany or the upcoming Swiss/Austria or Ukraine/Poland Euros if given similar financial incentive. Likewise an artist from a top soccer nation would also write a song if paid similarly by a soccer nation other than their own. Nelli was paid for this, it was not like she justs writes songs about Portugese soccer on a whim. While the state of Canadian soccer has probably played a role in certain Canadian soccer player's decisions not to play for us it had little effect on Nelli's decision to sing for Portugal. That was a simple financial and career promotion decision.

As to personal taste, I hope if we do pay someone to write a Canadian team song we pick someone who will produce something more inspiring than the insipid Forca (though I will admit as far as sports songs go it is not quite as bad as Bjork's Olympic song). Can you imagine singing Forca at a stadium or even being pumped up by it being played on the PA? Never pegged you as a Nelli fan FK. You may have as hard a time living that down with me as LMS has with his Wham/George Michael fixation!:)

Archived