despite the recent losses, we got great form

Juby

I did a bit of quick math to try and peg Canada's level internationally just looking at recent form and not taking into account the 2005 gold cup and before.

Were ranked 94th and in our last 8 games our opponents have had an average ranking of 68th (if you use the rank from the month the game was played, if you just look at where are opponents are currently ranked as of may 2007, they average opponent is ranked 76th).

Despite being pitted against supposedly better teams, our record is 4 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw, we've scored 8 goals and conceded 5. I think GD is a fair factor because spain is 80-90 ranks ahead of us and the americans were when we played them, while bermuda was only 40 rankings behind us in march, therefore I don't think the bermudan's have an excuse for letting in 3 (especially considering our 1-0 win over lil luxembourg).

Another interesting stat is that we've managed 5 clean sheets.

A mitigating factor in our favour is that 7 of these games were away.

My personal conclusion is that our real problem is goal scoring, an average of 1 goal a game is usually a losing average, and the only times we've managed to actually score more then one goal a game was against bermuda and austria and the latter was all jimmy brennan.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

My personal conclusion is that our real problem is goal scoring, an average of 1 goal a game is usually a losing average, and the only times we've managed to actually score more then one goal a game was against bermuda and austria and the latter was all jimmy brennan.

Tadaa!

Of course, "we don't score enough" isn't much of an in-depth analysis [:o)].

Archived