Red Patch Boys

argh1

• 1 month later...

Out of curosity, since I just caught the u-sector thing on CBC, how did we end up with two Supporters Club for a brand new franchise? I havent followed MLS that closely, but is that a common occurance?

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

It is a common occurrence in MLS to have multiple groups. There are actually more than two for what it's worth. Others inlude the Tribal Rhythm Nation, the Ceilidh House Hoolies, the Toronto Ultras and the North End Elite. A mainly Portuguese group is supposed to be trying to get organized for next season as well.

.... and U-Sector has been around for years as supporters of the Toronto Lynx. It's not a new group. I've known these guys for ages it seems.

I feel so old!

db

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Out of curosity, since I just caught the u-sector thing on CBC, how did we end up with two Supporters Club for a brand new franchise? I havent followed MLS that closely, but is that a common occurance?

Thee are two supporters clubs, because U-Sector used to be a Lynx supporters group, until they jumped ship to support TFC. There's loyalty for you.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Thee are two supporters clubs, because U-Sector used to be a Lynx supporters group, until they jumped ship to support TFC. There's loyalty for you.

Give us a break with the comments that serve no other purpose but to annoy. Leaving aside that many of the original U-sector members still follow the Lynx (even though you need to hire an archaeological expedition to do so nowadays), did you really expect that in North America's sporting culture that a group of people dedicating to supporting the highest level of pro soccer in the city would stubbornly refuse to give their support to a new, billions-time more professionally-run team playing a higher level?

The Red Patch Boys started up by accident when a guy called Simon in England started an Inter Toronto FC board just before the official franchise announcement. People floated in based on Google searches once it was rebranded to a Toronto FC board and eventually the core group on that board decided to set up a fan group together and it all grew from there. Most MLS teams have multiple fan groups so it is nothing out of the ordinary. As for differences RPB are probably less into the Canadian national team on average and tend to not have had any interest in the Lynx in years past. Beyond that there are only so many people can fit into one pub after the game so the social aspect is probably a lot easier with multiple groups. Whatever works for people is my philosophy on this.

That was definitely the old U-sector name. Think I may have got that wrong and they actually prefer Ultras Toronto. :) They are a smallish group mainly from Hamilton (I think?) who stand in section 114. A few of them were in Chicago on Saturday with their banner. Very involved with the chanting just like at home games.

http://www.ultras.ca/

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

There was actually a Section H guy with RPB in Chicago on Saturday. I only watched the Blizzard in the CSL so it was good to meet somebody who goes all the way back to the NASL.

I go back to those days. Did you catch a name. Maybe it was Luis!?!? Nah couldn't be. We still don't really know if he exists do we????

db

I have sent various e mails to the rpb, but no response. I joined their membership and for some reason I can't even get on. Anyway I liked the idea and their background,just don't know who these guys are and still trying to find out. Hey answer my email please and allow me to get on that chat line.

Best thing to do is to join our messageboard. The membership list just gets you onto an email mailing list as far as I know and has nothing to do with our main forum:-

http://www.torfc.com/

We do have a chatline but that is only active when away games are on and I'm not sure how many people even use it now as we tend to meet up at bars to watch them these days. I think from past posts you are in Durham region. If so the Lion & Dragon in Pickering is the new RPB venue out that way:-

http://s3.excoboard.com/exco/thread.php?forumid=2571&threadid=118945

In Toronto, Shoeless Joe's at King and Dufferin is the main RPB location.

Guest Jeffery S.

As I see it, the more the merrier. NO reason not to have lots of supporter groups, only it is not so normal to have them all sitting together. Most clubs will have different groups, often of a different nature, scattered over the stadium, either goal and maybe up high somewhere.

I think it is good you can make differentiations between groups, it is more interesting, and more choice for someone look to join one.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

As I see it, the more the merrier. NO reason not to have lots of supporter groups, only it is not so normal to have them all sitting together. Most clubs will have different groups, often of a different nature, scattered over the stadium, either goal and maybe up high somewhere.

I think it is good you can make differentiations between groups, it is more interesting, and more choice for someone look to join one.

Actually RPB and U-Sector sit in different sections although they are not that far from each other. As I understand it U-sector has the endzone stands and RPB are in a corner stand that borders on to this endzone.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Give us a break with the comments that serve no other purpose but to annoy. Leaving aside that many of the original U-sector members still follow the Lynx (even though you need to hire an archaeological expedition to do so nowadays), did you really expect that in North America's sporting culture that a group of people dedicating to supporting the highest level of pro soccer in the city would stubbornly refuse to give their support to a new, billions-time more professionally-run team playing a higher level?

I'm not out to annoy. I chose my words poorly and it certainly came off as a dig. I apologize: I'm sorry. However I am curious the mandate of U-Sector. Is it to support Toronto FC, or just the top team in Toronto?

I realize this is hypothetical, but what if TFC were in a league where relegation were in place, what would U-Sector do? Especially if they were replaced by another Toronto club. And don't say it won't happen, I'm just saying it's hypothetical.

Are Leeds supporters going to jump ship because Leeds is being run like crap, and start supporting Middlesborough or York? If Juve goes down and Torino comes up to Serie A, do Juventus fans start supporting Juventus? Juve after all could be seen as being run very un-professionally.

I do agree with Jeffrey, in that the more clubs the marrier to support. As long as everyone is working together, that's all that counts.

U-Sector - Canadian National Team supporters and Lynx supporters

Red Patch Boys - ManUre Supporters.

People need to realize that the U-Sector pre-TFC was 10-20 guys. The group exploded with the TFC announcement. Considering the way the sport is structured in this country, its pretty lame to attack the U-Sector, claiming they 'abandoned' the Lynx. The U-Sector is even planning to attend the Lynx game this weekend.

Its sad the way people on this forum always have their knives out.

I realize this is hypothetical, but what if TFC were in a league where relegation were in place, what would U-Sector do? Especially if they were replaced by another Toronto club. And don't say it won't happen, I'm just saying it's hypothetical.

I expect many would stick with the team, assuming they are still visible & easy to follow & in a league that is at least somewhere o the radar, unlike the Lynx.

However it is a moot point. I mentioned "North American sporting culture" on purpose. If we had a promotion/relegation culture then I could see the criticism of the supporters as being bandwagon jumpers, but as we don't, it seems somewhat curlish to call people out for not being loyal.

U-Sectors mandate has always been to support the HIGHEST</u> level of soccer in Toronto.

Archived