Saputo Stadium construction pictures

Daniel

I agree with Mpenza.

CCR was and always will be owned by the city. Due to that fact, the Impact could not adapt CCR to their needs that place practically has not changed since they started using it (Except for temporary bleechers in the 'end zone'). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So CCR never became Impact's real home. That is the way I saw it anyway. It was clear in my mind for the Impact to evolve, they would need to either renovate CCR or build a new stadium.

They did just that and are building a new stadium which will be a base for what they will expand from in the near future. For this I am grateful that the IMPACT has done this for soccer in my town.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it should all be tax deductable (I can't remember the exact rate, something like 15% per yr for tax purposes), but that's not much of a gripe really. He's only going to be able to write the tax off against the excess revenue the Impact has over it's expenses. He can't use it to tranfer over to the dairy business if that's what you're thinking.

They'll probably have to reconstruct some of the stands in order to get into the MLS. I can see now why this stadium is just so inexpensive.

It's very basic. VERY basic.

It will be interesting to see if they put anything under the stands, to fill it in more.

semaine19_5.jpg

When you look at the budget of BMO and SS you have to expect SS to be very basic and it's true that Saputo will need to improve this thing if he wants to go the MLS way.

The god news is that a very basic stadium like that is easily expandable.

I think it's a good move by the Impact not to go with the big thing yet because they would lose a lot of money if the MLS project doesn't work for whatever reason.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I think it's a good move by the Impact not to go with the big thing yet because they would lose a lot of money if the MLS project doesn't work for whatever reason.

Yeah the Saputos sure couldn't afford to lose any money on this thing.

It's clearly not a matter of money. If the Saputos had invested heavily in a MLS-class stadium and that the project had failed, imagine the devastating blow this would have been for the city. A brand new 20,000-seater build for nothing right next to the big ol' empty Olympic Stadium. That would've been enough to make Montreal a dead zone for pro sports for the next 30 years.

It's easy to see that they're playing it safe, going one step at a time. We need a stadium. What league are we in? USL. Let's build a USL-class stadium with lots of room for an expansion. Why build something we could afford but might not need?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Yeah the Saputos sure couldn't afford to lose any money on this thing.

Grizzly, just because the Saputos have lots of money, doesn't mean that the are obligated to spend it freely. What is wrong with how they are running the Impact? They are perennial contenders, and continually have playeres transfering to bigger clubs. They are building a modest stadium to fit in the league in which they are playing because there is no promise that they will end up in MLS.

I just got back from a two week trip to Montreal and Quebec City, and was going to post a bunch of photos that I took of the stadium, but they look exactly like the ones that Daniel posted, so I won't bother.

All I could do was stand there and drool with envy (my girlfriend just shook her head, but at least she let me tour the stadium). Again I say, good for Saputo. He's getting it done. He's doing it right and building for his current needs. There's lots of room for expansion, should the need arise. Kudos to Saputo and the Impact.

All we can do here in Calgary is dream our dreamy dreams...

and we thought here in Vancouver that we would have the first real stadium. Don't worry too much Crooks, you may well have on in Calgary before we do. The bloody Safeway near me doesn't carry Saputo sour cram anymore. What the hell am I supposed to do with my perogies? Use Lucerne?

Ottawa city may allow a private operator to convert the existing baseball stadium used by the Lynx into a covered twelve thousand seater designed for soccer and rock shows... so Ottawa will have a USL size stadia and a MLS One if it goes ahead...remember folks Lansdowne is still a great stadia to watch a game in .. no track and room to put in seats down to the pitch ... it really is better then BMO if used properly

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Ottawa city may allow a private operator to convert the existing baseball stadium used by the Lynx into a covered twelve thousand seater designed for soccer and rock shows... so Ottawa will have a USL size stadia and a MLS One if it goes ahead...remember folks Lansdowne is still a great stadia to watch a game in .. no track and room to put in seats down to the pitch ... it really is better then BMO if used properly

Landsdown would need $10's of millions to make it workable. It's ancient and run down looking. I watched 2 U20 matches there and was not really that impressed. The sightlines are decent but the grandstands are really big and make you feel like you are really far away from the field.

quote:The sightlines are decent but the grandstands are really big and make you feel like you are really far away from the field.

Agreed.

Unfortunately our stadium infrastructure is beginning to age. Stadiums in Regina, Winnipeg, Ottawa will probably need to be replaced if we are ever to host a World Cup.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Landsdown would need $10's of millions to make it workable. It's ancient and run down looking. I watched 2 U20 matches there and was not really that impressed. The sightlines are decent but the grandstands are really big and make you feel like you are really far away from the field.

This article which appeard today, would support your claim

From http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2007/09/06/ot-frank-clair-070906.html#skip300x250

Ottawa closes stadium section due to cracks in structure

Last Updated: Thursday, September 6, 2007 | 4:00 PM ET

CBC News

Part of an Ottawa stadium that supported thousands of soccer fans during the FIFA U-20 World Cup this summer has been closed to the public after stress cracks were found in the concrete structure.

The decision made Wednesday to cordon off the lower south side of Frank Clair Stadium in Lansdowne Park is a "precautionary move," said Doug Moore, the city manager in charge of the stadium.

The cracks in the concrete structure of Frank Clair Stadium were found weeks after it hosted the sold-out FIFA U-20 World Cup quarter final between Argentina and Mexico.

(CBC) "With what we hear about in other areas of the country, in terms of some of the structural problems that have existed, they [inspectors] thought it would be prudent … from a risk-management perspective to not allow occupancy of the area," Moore said, after telling city councillors about the discovery.

Engineers discovered the stress cracks in the vertical support columns and horizontal beams of the 47-year-old structure during a routine inspection just a few weeks after a sold-out quarter final between Argentina and Mexico at the facility, Moore said.

The stadium seats almost 29,000 people.

Engineers are to submit a more detailed report next week about what danger, if any, the cracks represent.

Continue Article

In the meantime, the city is working to find alternate arrangements for some events scheduled to take place at the stadium. University of Ottawa football games will go ahead at the stadium as scheduled, using the north stands in the stadium only, which were deemed structurally sound, said a university news release issued Thursday.

Coun. Clive Doucet, who represents Capital Ward, where the stadium is located, said it's probably impossible to know when the cracks appeared, but the important thing is that the structure remained sound during the FIFA U-20 World Cup games.

"I thank God that we got through this safely," he said.

He added that on the upside, the discovery highlights the sorry state of Ottawa's older inner-city infrastructure and might be the catalyst needed to get something done about it before serious incidents occur on the scale of the overpass collapse in Laval, Que., in Sept. 2006 that killed five people.

David Lau, a civil engineering professor at Carleton University, said concrete has been used as a building material for hundreds of years and concrete structures are typically designed to last 50 to 75 years.

But he added, "There’s no expiration date ... It’s a matter of how well we maintain those structures to make sure they don’t deteriorate beyond what we expect."

Archived