Saputo Stadium construction pictures

Daniel

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of this stadium looks like temporary bleachers that are permanently installed. Not surprising for the stadium construction budget but pretty far from what I would consider a MLS quality stadium. It may be expandable (though probably not by very much because of the size of the plot) but there are big limits to how much it can be upgraded without replacing the stands. I find it hard to get very excited about this stadium as I don't see it being much of an improvement over CCR. We will be closer to the field because of no track and the nearness of the stands to each other may improve the atmosphere but otherwise it seems even a bit below the quality of CCR.

CCR is a dump, plain and simple.

You've mentioned proximity and that will obviously be a HUGE step up from CCR, but facilities in the GA side at CCR are appaling. A few tents for vendors and 2 dozen port-o-potties for 6,000-7,000 people. There will be permanent bathrooms at SS, as well as ample space under the stands to put in whatever is needed.

The presidential stand will be more complex, and will be attached to the new Impact head office.

I agree that it's probably not as swanky BMO (it will have cost less than a quarter the price), but there's no point in "comparing" without saying anything descriptive about the comparison.

I would not say CCR is a dump but do agree that the washroom and vendor facilities in the GA side are poor. However, I do not tend to judge soccer stadiums based on their washroom and vending facilities. In fact, I would estimate of all the great soccer stadiums I have visited the majority of them had poor vending facilities and disgusting washrooms. What I like to see is a well built facility with good stands and some character. This stadium looks like they bought some standard temporary seating stands and are installing them with a permanent foundation. The presidential stand with its concrete base may indeed be decent but so is the non-GA stand of CCR which is also much larger. As far as the stands go I don't see any improvement over CCR and in fact would say they are probably worse. I think if you are going to build a new stadium it should be significantly better than the one you are currently in. This looks like it is going to be CCR minus the track and with better washroom/vending facilities.

With their billions why couldn't the Saputos build a decent stadium especially since they are putting their own name on it? If they didn't want to spend their own money why didn't they at least try and get some government money? Even if it took more time it wouldn't matter so much since the stadium wasn't ready for the U-20 and it looks like it will be at least several years before we join MLS if we ever do. I would prefer to wait a year or two longer if something decent was going to be built. As it is I am not sure that this stadium is going to impress MLS very much when they decide whether to put a franchise here. If we do get in to MLS instead of having a stadium to be proud of we will notice how much nicer all of the other stadiums in the league including BMO compared to ours.

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

I'll call you on that K-head. I spend almost every TFC home game in the press box following along on the BS forums of the opposition on my laptop. I've never seen any negative in-game comments about BMO...

Really? Here's just afew you missed. Chicago and LosAngeles matches:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573946&page=5

------------------------

Highbury Forever: "Where is Justin Mapp?

Toronto FC certainly has the best high-school-looking stadium in MLS"

khall (in response): And it looks like they took the keeper with the field.

quarterUltra: BMO = Bowel Movement Organization

ModdyG: Nice sportsmanship from the TFC fans, booing Blanco off the pitch, all the people on the TFC bandwagon for their first few matches need to be shot, that's piss-poor action from a newbie club and their crap supporters. Crap ground, no fans, rejects for players, yeah I'm very very impressed. From the worst team in our division, no less, you just got spanked.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=580689&page=11

LosAngeles: P.S. TOFC your team is garbage and plays the most annoying brand of soccer in the MLS. You clog the field like a fat man clogs his arteries and your overpaid second league imports from the UK are rubbish, your plastic / rubber playground field is rubbish and your party favor fans are rubbish. So sing like that Tit Celine Dion while your team sinks like the titanic and I'll kiss the two stars over my team's badge. Now stop pissing on the rest of the TFC fans that have class and are willing to talk about the game on our boards instead of farting, spraying cologne on it and calling it an idea.

signed,

LosAngeles

Please don't take this as a challenge, but I knew you'd come up with some anecdotal evidence - which does not support the claim of "go read any rival fans thread during a match at BMO and they spend all the game talking about how BMO is a poor quality crap high school stadium"

FWIW, I didn't get credentials for the LA Galaxy game, so I sat in the stands. I guess they needed the room for Entertainment Tonight and E!

Ok, let's keep this thread on topic. More pics coming soon!

Meanwhile, the club is continuing for now its thoroughly ineffective and bonehead season tickets sales plan by only selling overpriced season tickets in the main stand, leaving in the dark those that would like to purchase season tickets for about the cost of 12-14 home games.

StadiumPlan.jpg

Okay, but I've only followed the Chicago and LA threads, so to me it seemed like every game! I've also encountered the comments a few times on the BigSoccer future MLS teams section. I'm not saying I agree with what they are saying, just pointing out that while some here are claiming that Saputo stadium doesn't match BMO's quality others elsewhere question BMO's quality. I'd at least wait until the stadium is finished, and even then why criticize?

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Ok, let's keep this thread on topic. More pics coming soon!

Meanwhile, the club is continuing for now its thoroughly ineffective and bonehead season tickets sales plan by only selling overpriced season tickets in the main stand, leaving in the dark those that would like to purchase season tickets for about the cost of 12-14 home games.

StadiumPlan.jpg

..and there are some on here that think Saputo has plans on going MLS.

(and I was on topic, responding to people who are commenting on your pictures).

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Okay, but I've only followed the Chicago and LA threads, so to me it seemed like every game! I've also encountered the comments a few times on the BigSoccer future MLS teams section. I'm not saying I agree with what they are saying, just pointing out that while some here are claiming that Saputo stadium doesn't match BMO's quality others elsewhere question BMO's quality. I'd at least wait until the stadium is finished, and even then why criticize?

I don't think some quotes from fans talking smack about TFC is much proof of the opinion of opposing MLS fans who have been to BMO. That being said noone is claiming BMO is a world class stadium worthy of the EPL or La Liga. There are many things I would have preferred were done differently at BMO though they may have been beyond the budget possibilities. It is, however, a decent facility that is up to par in every way for an MLS facility.

Why criticize (though you of anyone on the board should be the last to criticize others for criticizing)? I criticize because I want to see the Impact in the MLS as soon as possible and would like to watch their matches in a decent stadium with some atmosphere and character and which I can be proud of not embarrased. I don't see the point of building a stadium that is not significantly better than the one they are curerently playing at. I also don't understand why when we have such an incredibly rich owner he has to build such a cheap stadium for his team.

BMO Field is not an archetectural wonder but it's a great place to watch a soccer match. We are close to the field, there are no bad seats in the house, the pitch might be plastic but doesn't behave like the crappy artifical turf surfaces like they have in New York and Salt Lake City. We have a great view of the city and a great little beer garden at the North end of the stadium (great place to watch the match for a bit).

Stade Saputo might turn out to be better than it looks right now. being close to the field is a huge bonus and adds tremendously to the atmosphere. At the end of the day, a pretty soccer stadium is meaningless if the fans dont show up and make some serious noise. Montreal fans will love the place if it's packed, loud and the style of play is good. Montreal fans love that dumpy stadium at McGill where the Als play. Now that is a piece of crap but it's alway full and the fan atmosphere is among the best in the CFL. A stadium is what the fans make it, not the architects.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Technically speaking, the Saputos are not the owners. Joey Saputo is President and the co-owners are the Government of Québec, Hydro-Québec and Groupe Saputo.

This could open up a whole new topic that is probably best not to get me started on. Thanks 2nd richest man in Quebec for letting us have a team that we are paying with from our own tax dollars and hydro bills. I could forgive them for this if they were doing things 1st class but not the 3rd class way they are doing things.

quote:I don't think some quotes from fans talking smack about TFC is much proof of the opinion of opposing MLS fans who have been to BMO

I never said it was. These were the opinions of those fans who were watching from home. Those quotes were exactly what I said they were, quotes I read in match day threads on bigsoccer.

quote:Why criticize (though you of anyone on the board should be the last to criticize others for criticizing)

All I'm saying is for people to possibly wait for the stadium to be finished before criticizing the stadium. People can criticize anything else all they want.

quote:I criticize because I want to see the Impact in the MLS as soon as possible

Does anybody really believe Saputo really wants to go MLS? Hell, his plans for his team in this stadium call for playing two home games elsewhere in Quebec as usual according to Daniel. He may speak MLS just to placate fans such as yourself, just like Lenarduzzi has in Vancouver and how Rochesters owner used to. Doesn;t really mean they have any intention.

Talking about "going MLS" is akin to telling your current wife that you're going to leave her in 3 years for a younger, hotter, woman.

They have to respect the league they're in, because they may have 3 more seasons in it, and they may have to remain in that league if they don't have the money or stadium to join.

Having said that, Montreal, Vancouver and Rochester will ALL be in MLS by 2012.

We've seen what a joke USL is as long as they string along second-rate ownership groups who put up minimal insurance.

Now that Toronto is in MLS, not looking to move up would be a grave mistake. We tolerated the USL while believing there was no suitable alternative.

The one thing Saputo has (beyond cash and cheese :P) is pride, and having "his" club reduced to a second-rate minor-league club won't do.

The new VP Richard Legendre is a serious player in local sports. He hasn't been brought in to simpply administer the Impact the same way it has been for 15 years...

Whenever I watch sports on TV, I will turn off the volume if I know the players names and numbers pretty well. When I go to a stadium, even for soccer, I care about sight lines, whether the field is playable and whether I will be able to go to the washroom, and grab a beer and a bite at half time and make it back befor the start of the second half. I care about access whether that is sufficient parking or reasonable Public Transit access matters not. The character of the stadium is irrelevant as well. I don't give a **** about fan atmosphere, have no problem with young kids screaming and running around me any more than I care if fans are banging on drums and chanting. Its all just noise to tune out. It does not interfer with or enhance the quality of my enjoyment of the game. I do make it a point to where the colours of the team I supporting, cheering their intorduction and good play by my team even if it occurs in the midfield and has little impact on the final result.

Saputo Stadium sounds like a godsend to Montreal as does BMO for Torono, and whatever Kerfoot is able to do in Vancouver.

Hey you know what?

BMO *is* better.

BMO also was 60 millions more expensive.

And as well, BMO looked unimpressive during construction.

Wait and see the final result.

Sure, it could've been better designed. Sure it's more like three stands and a field than a stadium per say. Sure when you look at Chicago or LA in the MLS, our stadium is not up to par. But you know what? No team has ever won a cup based on the quality of its stadium.

It'll be our place. It'll be our home. Something we can never have at CCR (which is the most important improvement of all). And this is why we should be proud of Saputo Stadium.

Hey you know what?

BMO *is* better.

BMO also was 60 millions more expensive.

And as well, BMO looked unimpressive during construction.

Wait and see the final result.

Sure, it could've been better designed. Sure it's more like three stands and a field than a stadium per say. Sure when you look at Chicago or LA in the MLS, our stadium is not up to par. But you know what? No team has ever won a cup based on the quality of its stadium.

It'll be our place. It'll be our home. Something we can never have at CCR (which is the most important improvement of all). And this is why we should be proud of Saputo Stadium.

Archived