Nsaliwa to AEK

Afrosta

Three reasons why Tam is not on the Gold Cup roster...

1.The transfer to AEK

2 He is expecting a baby any time now

3.He has recently obtained German citizenship and needs the CSA to let him know what his official status is as per FIFA rules. Its been a year since he let the CSA know of his intentions to obtain a German passport but has not heard from anyone (Even met with CSA execs at the World Cup in Germany last year but still no word). So right now its just a waiting game. If the new coach wants him to be a part of the squad, I am sure he will get back to him with an official answer and he will be more than happy (as he always has been) to play for Canada again.

Thank you

Ok, thanks for the clarifications. But if you're already cap-tied to a country I would be surprise if you cannot play for it anymore due to a passport issue. It would be strange if Nsaliwa wouldn't be eligible to play international football.

Did I missed something?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Great move for Tam! I hope that's the reason why he isn't in the GC Preliminary roster.

Why would you have been that surprised by that anyway? He had not been on any roster for them for a long time since before the Hungary friendly in November.

Ronaldinho just got spanish citizenship so I really don't think he's got anything to worry about, and it's nice to see he's eager to play for us. Expecting a baby's just about the most sensical reason not to play, I always thought it was weird to see a player celebrating having a child in game like the day after it was born.

Guest Jeffery S.

In Europe, in general, you officially renounce your Canadian citizenship to get a European passport, at least in all places where there is no agreement. But even then what you say before a judge in a European nation has no bearing on what Canada does to your passport. Because the only way you can lose your Canadian citizenship is to renounce it officially before a Canadian judge. Which you don't do. Canada won't recognize any sort of communication from a foreign nation saying that such and such has renounced citizenship (which would not be normal to see anyways). Nor will we, habitually, come out and ask a Canadian what their status is, you are Canadian and that is it.

So you have two passports.

Most European countries will have agreements with certain countries allowing them to not renounce citizenship. In Spain that happens with all former colonies, also, oddly enough, with anyone whose rabbi can confirm he is Sephardic. A people from Spanish families who immigrated elsewhere but want to return I think, up to a certain generation.

According to FIFA eligibility criteria, Tam may be knackered in terms of playing internationally again. He is cap-tied to Canada, but no longer eligible to play with us, if I read things correctly. He is no longer a Canadian citizen (one eligibility criteria) and he does not have a parent or grandparent born here (an alternative route to become eligible).

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

According to FIFA eligibility criteria, Tam may be knackered in terms of playing internationally again. He is cap-tied to Canada, but no longer eligible to play with us, if I read things correctly. He is no longer a Canadian citizen (one eligibility criteria) and he does not have a parent or grandparent born here (an alternative route to become eligible).

That would be weird because Tam wouldn't be eligible to play for any country in the world. Unless they have a solution for those cases.

The CSA will need to make an appeal to the FIFA executive committee asking for clarification on Nsaliwa's status.

The rules are clear that Nsaliwa will not be eligble to play for Germany. With that in mind I am confident that FIFA will continue to allow Nsaliwa to play for Canada.

Now that he has his citizenship, it's time for the CSA to get their ass in gear and make the appropriate follow ups with FIFA.

Edit: Congrats to Nsaliwa for the new team, and the new child on the way! I look forward to seeing him play again in red and white in future.

Good news. Really good news. Congrats and I hope the checks don't bounce.

As to playing for Canada I fail to see what's changed or needs clarification. He's already cap tied to Canada and over the age at which he can pull off the one-time switch. That his citizenship has altered should be neither here nor there at this point as FIFA rules put him now, always and forever a Canadian only international. That is, being a permanent cap-tied adult trumps all other considerations.

What the CSA's current policy is regarding something like this is I have no idea. They certainly haven't been above a little poaching before so utilizing an ex-Canadian wouldn't matter much I think.

Archived